Author Topic: .17 HMR not enough for Fox at 150 yards  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
.17 HMR not enough for Fox at 150 yards
« on: February 29, 2012, 04:30:22 AM »
Went calling yesterday afternoon.  As I was moving to a new location saw a Red Fox standing looking at me as I rounded a bend in the trail.  Grabbed my Sportster in .17HMR.  Was shooting CCI ammo with .17gr Nosler TNT bullets.  Hit the Fox standing broadside at 150 yards.  Fox ran off, but had blood in the snow.  Started tracking Fox, followed it for about a mile.  Finally got a close shot at 30 yards, and killed it.  Found the plastic point of the first bullet stuck in a rib.  Some bullet fragments stuck in the meat around the rib.

I was very disappointed thought the .17 HMR would do better than that on a Red Fox, since they are such delicate creatures anyway.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Re: .17 HMR not enough for Fox at 150 yards
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:17:57 AM »
I would agree, it should have done a better job. I have to commend you, for tracking it that far. Great job. :)

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:06:16 AM »
Sourdough, I have a couple of farms that I shoot pigeons with the 17. The plastic tipped ammo on a broadside shot will kill them but not instantly. I switch to the all metal hollow points and they are done,finished, after after taking one of those baby's. If I remember right they are CCI's.
The wing on a pigeon is pretty tough and I'd say similar to the rib cage of a fox.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:32 AM »
Went calling yesterday afternoon.  As I was moving to a new location saw a Red Fox standing looking at me as I rounded a bend in the trail.  Grabbed my Sportster in .17HMR.  Was shooting CCI ammo with .17gr Nosler TNT bullets.  Hit the Fox standing broadside at 150 yards.  Fox ran off, but had blood in the snow.  Started tracking Fox, followed it for about a mile.  Finally got a close shot at 30 yards, and killed it.  Found the plastic point of the first bullet stuck in a rib.  Some bullet fragments stuck in the meat around the rib.

I was very disappointed thought the .17 HMR would do better than that on a Red Fox, since they are such delicate creatures anyway.

Are you sure you're using CCI TNT ammo, it doesn't have a plastic tip, it's a hollow point. Other than the 20gr XTP, I'd expect the TNT to be better than the 17gr ballistic tip.  ;) http://varmintal.com/17hmr.htm#Penetration

Tim

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0053

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 07:52:40 PM »

Heresy! Heresy I say! For your iniquities against the good name of the Hummer, you should say 3 Hail Hornady's  and never post anymore nonsense of the 17 hmr not being adequate for anything below cape buffalo.  ;D

Now aren't you glad a bear didn't come to the call?
Molon labe

Offline Thebear_78

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:08:01 PM »
Stick with the non tipped bullets they hold together much better.    I have seen quite a few coyotes killed with them.

Offline bubbinator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »
In testing my 2 17HMRs( NEF Handi-Rifle and Savage M93 series) I found the NEF less than accurate as some reported. The Savage is deadly accurate and is shot more. My results showed the 20gr Hornady XTP to be most accurate and no coon,cat,possum,feral dog or undesireable bird has walked away from one. (35+). There is a 17gr JHP on the market too, so look for the 20gr XTP with the lead showing in the cavity-the 17gr HP looks empty and is less accurate.

Offline ratdog

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 07:19:57 PM »
i had a similar experience with the 22mag and cci hollow points on dogs ill use my 223 or 204 next time for sure. ;D