Author Topic: Slug hunter Vs. USH?  (Read 1616 times)

Offline booone0

• Trade Count: (0)
Slug hunter Vs. USH?
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:10:23 AM »
Hey all, new to the forum, been reading all day and haven't found an answer yet.  Lots of good info here though!

I went hunting for the first time this year, and I am looking for a shotgun for deer hunting.  Initially I was looking at the typical pumps with slug barrels, but the H&R line appeals to be due to the cost and reputed accuracy.  I want a gun that is suitable for sitting in a treestand/blind, walking around, etc.  This is my first long gun, so I won't be confident in taking 100+ yard shots initially, but I would like a gun capable of that eventually.  I live in Michigan, which is shotgun only in the areas I'd be hunting for now.

Looking on Buds Gun Shop and Gunbroker, it seems like the Slug Hunter goes for around 170-180, while the Ultra Slug Hunter goes for 220+, in both 12 and 20 Ga.  I understand that the USH has a heavier barrel.  But what is the practical advantage of this?  Better accuracy?  Longer lasting?  Less kick?  If there are other differences between the two models, I haven't found them.  Also, is the Slug Hunter equivalent to the Ultra Light Slug Hunter, or is that an even lighter version?

I'm young and healthy, so recoil isn't too big of a deal - with the cost of slugs this will definitely not be a range gun.  Aside from sighting it in, I probably won't be shooting it unless there's a deer in my sights.

I found one of these at Cabelas which was comfortable to hold, but more expensive than it would be buying it online and having it shipped to an FFL.  I will do some looking around, but I will probably end up buying online off of Gunbroker or Bud's (Free shipping!)

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: Slug hunter Vs. USH?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 10:12:18 AM »
I'm not sure what you are reffering to when you say slug hunter. I was looking on buds and they were calling them slug hunters but they all looked liked ultra slug hunters. There is a Tracker II that has open sights and is not drilled and tapped for a scope base and is usually in the price range of what you are saying the slug hunter is. I have a 20ga Tracker II that I had drilled and tapped and wears a Simmons Pro Diamond 4X32 shot gun scope My son has a 20ga USH He has a Bushnell banner 1.5X4.5X32 Both are seriously accurate with the slugs they like to shoot. Both will clover leaf 3 shots a 75 yards. The Tracker II is lighter and easier to carry.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline booone0

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply, here are links to what I'm talking about:

Model SB1S14, 12Ga Slug Hunter (Model number matches "Ultra light slug hunter" on H&R's website), listed at 5.25lb, listed at $186.  http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_263/products_id/52899

Model SB2-980, 12Ga Ultra Slug Hunter (Listed as "Ultra Slug Hunter" on H&R's website), listed at 8-9lbs and listed at $243.  http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_263/products_id/89033

Both of these seem to go for $10-30 cheaper on GunBroker, but then shipping is not free.

I am interested in the models with a factory mounted sight rail, because I would prefer not to have to have a gunsmith put a rail on for me.

So it appears that the only difference between these two models is a slightly different stock (Different drop, and forestock seems longer on the Ultra Slug Hunter) and in how heavy/thick the barrel is.  Is there any other difference, and will the weight of the barrel have any effect on performance other than lighter recoil and possibly easier to hold on target?

Thanks!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:07:08 AM »
The USH is serious slug shooting medicine.... I have two and 12 and a 20, the 12 is scarry accurate for a slug gun. One hole groups with a number of slugs. Remington Buckhammers, Copper solids and Ultra Corelokts all shoot this good!!
My twenty dosen't like the green stuff but does like Hornady SST's!!! Its east to hit a tennis ball at 100.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline booone0

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 06:00:29 AM »
Thanks for the post, cwlongshot!

I guess this boils down to:  why would I spend $40-50 more on a heavier gun?  Is there another difference between these two models other than the heavier barrel?

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »
I have owned both and now just the Tracker II's in 20 ga. with scopes. The Tracker II comes with just sights and I added the scope rail after drilling and tapping the barrels. The Ultra Lite Slug Hunter is similar in weight and recoil and comes standard with a scope rail also if you plan to scope your slug gun.

The Ultra Slug Hunter in my opinion is too darn heavy to carry around. Accuracy is about the same when I compared the two. I had a chance to trade my Ultra Slug Hunter for a 30-30 H&R Topper and I did the trade and went with all Tracker II's as the Ultra Lite Slug Hunter was not available at that time.

If I were you I would go with a ULSH and save the weight. My Tracker II's are just as accurate weigh less than six pounds with scope and are very hunter friendly while on the go or in an elevated stand. Check out the thread I posted about the Tracker II's and you can see how we have ours set up.

Here is the thread, http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,245360.0.html

Offline booone0

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 04:00:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

So, it looks like the tracker is good if I want iron sights, but if I want to scope it the lightweight slug hunter is the way to go.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 04:53:30 AM »
I parted mine together from the 20 ga lightweight rifled barrel with scope mount only, and a monte carlo stock to get it high enough for the scope & recoil pad. 

I couldn't see lugging a heavier gun around, and the 20 is supposed to be able to do the job with less pain and cost.

If you are going to scope it you need to think about a higher comb piece... like the slip on shell holders with a rubber cheek piece added.  JMHO
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 05:26:29 AM »
I don't own one, but I think the ultra sluggers would be great if you shoot stand style hunts mainly.  The extra weight would negate some more recoil also.  ;)  I am trying to talk a buddy into selling me an original Tracker1 slug gun with sights, but smoothbore.  Thus far he hasn't done anything with it, so hoping maybe.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 04:56:20 AM »
The ultra slug is heavier but as mentioned it depends what type of hunting you are doing. I have the heavy barrel 20 guage and it shoots the federal power shok sabots the best. That being said I am not a walker but get to my stand or spot and stay still so I am not carrying it all day. Also the extra weight cuts down the recoil alot.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 05:31:00 AM »
Are you serious about being a genuine slug hunter ?  How about this ?
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq3zp-v5gjA

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_3_54/ai_n24232194/
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 06:28:21 AM »
An under 6# 12ga, is a vicious kicking beast, at least for many of us. Choose a 20ga if you can, it will still do the job and the ammo is as available as 12s.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 05:19:00 AM »
  I agree with gcrank..
   Having spent most of my life in a slugs-only big game hunting area, I can tell you that normally the 20ga kills them just as dead as a 12ga.  Dad was a very successful deer hunter and used a 20ga all his life..usually an Ithaca pump.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 05:36:44 AM »
Hasting went out of bussiness shortly after the release of that 3.5x20ga . Don't know if anybody picked up the ammo manufacture or not but I haven't seen any Hasting ammo on normal shelves for a couple of yrs. I used to love it before the Buckhammer. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 03:28:58 PM »
Hasting went out of bussiness shortly after the release of that 3.5x20ga . Don't know if anybody picked up the ammo manufacture or not but I haven't seen any Hasting ammo on normal shelves for a couple of yrs. I used to love it before the Buckhammer. Kurt
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  Thanks for setting that straight Kurt, I wouldn't want to mislead anyone..