Author Topic: Remington slugger's  (Read 987 times)

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Remington slugger's
« on: November 24, 2011, 07:13:30 AM »
Tried uploading a very good photo of my results from shooting these slugs. I'll tell ya this, the Remington sluggers are great shooters out of this USH. Not for 150 yard shots which I'll never take anyway, but for the distance I'll ever shoot rifled slugs they shoot great for me. Far as the leadin up goes there was a little bit. cleaned it out with a 20 gauge bore brush and a few cleaning patches lubed with RemOil. Worked just fine! scout4<><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Remington slugger's
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 02:37:09 PM »
I have not done it but I remember reading here that it leaded up the rifled barrel'sn the USH's pretty quickley and accuracy then went downhill, also a pain to get the lead out after shooting the standard Remington Sluggers.
I have heard Remington Buckhammers are good out of the USH's but here in the New England it's tough to find Buckhammers. I have not seen any on the shelves in a year or so....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 06:24:34 AM »
As stated it will lead up the barrel and if you really like getting an arm work out its not worth it. MSP Ret buck hammer are gunna get even harder to find because they shutting down the line that produces them. I just ordered 10 boxes from shooters supply.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:13:29 PM »
Scout4, have you tried the Win. basic slugs against the Rem. Sluggers yet? They have shot better groups in the few smoothbores I have compared them in and are no more expensive around here.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »
Buckhammers are a full bore diameter lead slug so there is lead in contact with the rifling of these slugs as well as the foster style.  I think the lead in a buckhammer is a bit harder than a foster slug that is made to "bump  up" in the bore plus the foster slug has a lot more surface area riding againist he bore.  In the last few weeks I have shot several dozen Rem 2 3/4" fosters out of a Tracker II rifled barrel and have not had a leading problem.  Of course every barrel and slug is a different animal. 

Buckhammers are big medicine on whitetails but most folks can't get over the recoil of them.   Sad to hear they are going away, but I kinda guess that because they have been marked down the last couple of years and now are almost impossible to find in NW Ohio.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »
I'm a smoothbore slug shooter. Always have been, And probably ,always will be.  In every shotgun I have, The Remington sluggers shoot the best. I have used others , and killed  deer with others. That being said, The remington sluggers  shoot better, ,in my personal guns,  than all the others.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"