Author Topic: MORTAR / HOWITIZER INFO?  (Read 599 times)

Offline eod20

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
  • stinker
MORTAR / HOWITIZER INFO?
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »

i am looking for any information i can find on a mortar howitizer combination. i am sure i saw a tread on such a beast in the past and i think it was dom? that made a couple of scaled models shown mounted.   i finally took possession of my metal round stock and it is bigger than what i was told. 10" x 27" steel round stock from the norfolk southern machine shop, a friend i work with has a cousin that works there. no idea what type, was told it is not tool steel but is harder than mild steel whatever that means. any way i was going to make a 1841 10" seacoast scaled to soda cans but i would not need 27" for that and then i remembered the post about a REV. War mortizer?.  any help would be welcome
looking for ejectors - 308, 8mm, 35 rem, 25-20, 32-20, 357 mag, 45LC

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: MORTAR / HOWITIZER INFO?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »
Hmmmm.

Mortars fire generally high-angle, Howitzers mid and 'guns' or cannons fire low angle.
Mortars are short range devices, Howitzers are mid range and 'guns' or cannons long range.

(I'm trying to envision where you want to go with this.)

Mortars sit on the ground - stable, absorbs recoil well.

Howitzers on the other hand generally have wheels for fast transport.

So what would the blend look like?

Wheels - perhaps.

Barrel length of howitzer length and yet with the abilty to shoot at high angles.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:02:20 PM »

i am looking for any information i can find on a mortar howitizer combination. i am sure i saw a tread on such a beast in the past and i think it was dom? that made a couple of scaled models shown mounted.   i finally took possession of my metal round stock and it is bigger than what i was told. 10" x 27" steel round stock from the norfolk southern machine shop, a friend i work with has a cousin that works there. no idea what type, was told it is not tool steel but is harder than mild steel whatever that means. any way i was going to make a 1841 10" seacoast scaled to soda cans but i would not need 27" for that and then i remembered the post about a REV. War mortizer?.  any help would be welcome

I think what you are referring to is the King Howitzers.  I believe they were used as low angle and High angle weapons.  I am sure we had a discussion on just that fact some time ago.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »
Ahhhh, Daniel King Howizers!

We've had a number of threads on them.  Good lookin' pieces.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:32:51 AM »
I have also mentioned in a thread or two that during the American Revolution with a shortage of howitzers mortars were placed in carraiges as erzates howitzers....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 05:16:28 AM »
I have shot my 4.5" motar (see avitar on left) at 15 degrees elevation.  Slid back a few feet too.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired