Author Topic: BAD NEWS HERE.  (Read 876 times)

Offline wan2bokie2

• Trade Count: (0)
BAD NEWS HERE.
« on: December 09, 2011, 03:12:29 PM »
While browsing my local gunshop, I found out that they will not be ordering any more H &R's as they have not received a meaningful shipment in 2years. This shop has been a big seller of handi's for a long time. I missed out in their clearance of. 22-250's for $175. Gonna keep a closer watch for more sales here. I did pick up a stainless 243 for $235.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: BAD NEWS HERE.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »
 Me thinks yer local gunshop is feedin ya a line. As much as many of us love the Handi, they're faceing some stiff compitition with the inexpensive bolt actions.
 Most entry level shooters, (the ones most likley to be look at bargin rate guns) opt for multiple action guns instead of the single shot
 As silly as that may be, :o
found elsewhere

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 07:47:27 PM »
 Most entry level shooters, (the ones most likley to be look at bargin rate guns) opt for multiple action guns instead of the single shot

Reminds me of when I was trying to teach my nephew to shoot.  My dad undermined everything with a brick of .22's and a semi-auto rifle.  Seems accuracy just does not appeal to the new shooters.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 02:34:26 AM »
got some folks roun here that believes ya gotta hava multi shot rifle to hunt deers with ::)
cuz they like to shoot several times at distances that are beyond there means, mostly
they foul hit tha deers with a spray of bullets.

i notice that every BAR 243 that is on a shelf vanishes quickly :o  and mostly is purchased by
beginners....and they have notta clue bout the 2nd or 3rd shot going into orbit :o  also they buy several different kinda ammo to hunt with along with a $59
scope :P

oh-well, least suma us know 1 shot isa all ya be need'n ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 02:55:07 AM »
My wife started Sky with a single shot when he was 5 years old.  Then at 10 we put him in the 4-H shooting program.  There they taught him to only shoot for score, every shot counted and poor shots cost him.

When he turned 12 he and Eric would go to the range with me and shoot up a couple of bricks with my old Remington Nylon 66, and a Marlin Semi-auto.  That was fun and they would often see who could empty their first.  But they never lost the desire for accuracy.  They often used an old soda bottle and would keep it moving from 50 to 150 yards.

Today they have both become long distance shooters like me, and totally understand only the first shot counts.  Sky uses a 30-06, and often my Weatherby 338-378.  Eric uses a 300 Weatherby, and a .338 Ultra Mag.  I'm hard pressed to keep ahead of them.  Compatition is a good thing.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jimbobb55

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 03:28:55 AM »
In da southeast Michigan area I've seen da same thing. Da stores like Gander Mountian, Dicks, Bass Pro. an Cabela's had in da past a lot of handi's might have 1 or 2. There selling a lot of Rossi's. I can drive 350 miles to Jay's sporting goods in Clare Mich. they have some up there.But da handi's around my area are slim and none. and da prices are high if you find one.

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 03:54:27 AM »
I'll be looking for those close-outs!! ;D
Yeah, we got a guy that goes hunting behind my house every year who shoots "doubletaps" as a matter of course.  Three years so far and he leaves the field empty. And I laugh. He doesn't even see if the first shot misses before he rips another one off.  He needs a Handi and probably a lot range time.  Makes me wonder if he even knows where his gun is hitting. From the sound of it, I'm guessing a BAR in 300 Mag.  It's a cannon.

got some folks roun here that believes ya gotta hava multi shot rifle to hunt deers with ::)
cuz they like to shoot several times at distances that are beyond there means, mostly

i notice that every BAR 243 that is on a shelf vanishes quickly :o  and mostly is purchased by
beginners....and they have notta clue bout the 2nd or 3rd shot going into orbit :o  also they buy several different kinda ammo to hunt with along with a $59

"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 04:01:30 AM »

:o  Dude...you just described my old boss....OMG!

He went out and bought a brand new Browning BAR in .30-06 and topped it with a cheap Simmons Scope...I couldn't get him to the range at all, other than to sight his rifle in...took him 4 shots to down his first deer.

I had to fire the finishing shot with my Ruger M77, as the deer was bounding away.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 04:08:40 AM »

Reminds me of when I was trying to teach my nephew to shoot.  My dad undermined everything with a brick of .22's and a semi-auto rifle.  Seems accuracy just does not appeal to the new shooters.

It's those "Bang Bang...Shoot 'em up" video games.  ???
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 05:16:11 AM »
While browsing my local gunshop, I found out that they will not be ordering any more H &R's as they have not received a meaningful shipment in 2years. This shop has been a big seller of handi's for a long time. I missed out in their clearance of. 22-250's for $175. Gonna keep a closer watch for more sales here. I did pick up a stainless 243 for $235.

Sounds like your dealer needs to shop around for a better distributor or you need a new dealer! For an idea of what other dealers have in stock, check em out, for instance, RR has seven 22-250 Handis plus a few of both the other two 22-250 models.

Tim

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_262

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_351

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?action=1037&brand=H%26R

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 07:10:14 AM »
I got pressed for time earlier so I was not able to finish.  Now back on subject.

While visiting down here I have gone to many stores (big box stores) and asked about H&Rs.  The clerks either don't know what they are or say we carry the Rossi it's cheaper and better.

Comes from hiring you uninformed sales people.  Got the feeling the bosses don't know any better either.  We have box stores in Fairbanks, but the store clerks there know quite a bit about guns, or they don't last on the gun counter.  Wal-Mart, Sportsman's, Sports Authority, and Fred Myer all have good knowledgiable people on the gun counters.  And they all sell and stock H&Rs.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.