Author Topic: Thinking about casting my own bullets?  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Virginian

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Thinking about casting my own bullets?
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:51:43 AM »
I shoot mostly 45 LC and 41 mag. I was thinking about trying my hand at casting my own bullets. Is there a good place to get info on what specific items I need to start up?

My first stab at what I might need:
Bullet casting furnace
Lead dipper
Thermometer
Molds for 45 LC & 41 mag
Gas checks (unsure about these?)
Mold handle
Lube/sizing kit (not  sure what I need here)
Lube (soft or hard?)
Ingot mold (not sure if I need this) I hope to use wheel weights

I also do a lot of varmint shooting. Do people cast bullets for their 22-250, .243, etc.?

Thanks,

Eric
Show up, do your best, don't grumble about it.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Thinking about casting my ouw bullets?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:08:52 AM »
lee 20 pound bottom pour....without a doubt  best bang for the buck

no gas checks

SEE LBT.....on this forum
have veral smith cut you a WFN mould......and  get  HIS  lube and  firelapping
if you can't afford the best...settle for the heaviest flattest nosed  LEE  [size=78%]mould [$20][/size]

i got by for years with out a sizing die....but that was dumb on my part

i also got buy smelting  in the lee pot with out an ingot mould
cupcake pans  if you on a budget
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:13:51 AM »
Being on a budget is the best reason to get into casting if you like to shoot ;)   

Great advice from 45-70.gov

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 06:22:49 AM »
http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Bullet-Casting/

All you need to get started on a budget
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Thinking about casting my own bullets?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 06:57:38 AM »
We frequently get somewhat wrapped around the axel about casting thinking we need hundreds of dollars of equipment just to get started; it just isn't so.  Nice to have? Yes!  Improve the quality? Probably. 
Besides a campfire (heat source) and some lead all you need is:

BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline twoshooter

• Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
+1 on 45/70. Lee's are very inexpensive, very easy to use. Don't need a thermometer if you have an electric pot, especially for handguns, no sizer dies, just wheel weights, the furnace, a mold, some drip lube. You can get the molds for under $20 each at midway. I would go with a 200 gr flat base RN for a 45, a 215 gr semi wadcutter for a 41. Any muffin pan at a yardsale will make a great ingot mold. (so do small jello molds :o ::) )
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 02:27:33 PM »
I would spend the money to get Lyman or RCBS molds.  The single cavity non-hollowpoint and non-hollowbased Lee molds are ok.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Virginian

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »
Thank you for all the great advice. I'm placing my first order for gear this evening. I'm sure I'll have a load of questions and I'll post my success and failure as I go along.
Thanks again,
Eric

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Remember, failure happens. Just be careful.
Joshua 1:9

Offline Centaur 1

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 05:51:53 PM »
Don't forget that there's a wealth of information at castboolits.com. Some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people that you'll ever meet. One of the nice things about casting is that it seems like helping others is as big a part of casting as making the actual boolits. Just remember that we all started out not knowing very much, we asked plenty of questions to get where we are now. Just remember that there are no dumb questions, we all asked them and thats how you learn. Do you remember the satisfaction you felt when you started reloading? That feeling is multiplied ten fold when you shoot your first m.o.a. group using boolits that started out as wheel weights before you touched them.

One nice thing about learning from others on the various forums is that these websites have great sponsors who offer equiptment and supplies at great prices. A large percent of the website sponsors aren't stores that carry everything, but rather most are just regular guys who lucked into a source and pass along the savings to us. We have on guy who is friends with a bee keeper. He takes all of the beeswax after the honey is removed, then he melts and filters the wax, then he only charges $4 a pound.

I want to second the suggestion to buy the Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot, and don't get fancy with molds untill you learn what you like and what your gun likes. Lee makes some great 2 cavity molds that come with handles, and they cost approximately $20 each. Here's an example, it's a Lee mold that would work in your 45 colt.  http://leeprecision.com/xcart/MOLD-DC-452-200-RF.html .

Offline twoshooter

• Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 06:48:26 AM »
I believe I have that exactly, price is 19.79 @ Midway. Lee might not produce as perfect a bullet as the high priced ones CAN, or last as long, but unless you are a nationally competitive shooter, you will probably never be able to appreciate or need the difference. And for what it is worth, any quart or larger CAST IRON cooking pot and a propane turkey or fish fryer rig which you might have will work until you figure out if you really want to do this. The big Lee pot IS the way to go if you do though. Also, IMPORTANT, go to any big box store- Lowes etc, or any welding supply shop, and buy a pair of WELDING gloves, high cuff models, they will cost less than $10, and you will thank me for that advice.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline 52bagman

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »
Just something to think about before getting started, DO NOT LET ANY TYPE OF MOISTURE GET INTO THE MOLTEN LEAD. Moisture of any kind will come up with the equivalent of a small hydrigon  bomb. (think a drop of sweat) Ask me how I know?

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:55:42 AM »
I'd suggest Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbood, 3rd Edition if possible, if not then the 4th Edition. I started out with a stainless steel pot, mebbe 2 qt., a single burner Coleman stove, and a Ladle. I purchased a used mold on ebay (something I won't recommend, as you can't inspect the mold first) and found (stole) a bunch of wheel weights. My first casting sessions weren't real good, mebbe 50% to 75% good bullets. But I was casting, and the only way to learn to cast is by casting. Check out the Cast Boolits Forum http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php and read all the stickies and lurk around for a while and you'll run into a bunch of good info. Lee tumble lube bullets usually don't need sizing and tumble lubing with alox can be fast and easy.

You don't need a bunch of high $$ equipment to get good boolits and 95% of your learning will come from experience, so take notes about what you're doing and get casting...

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 07:36:54 AM »
I HOPE I AM  WASTING YOUR TIME

by telling you to wear safety glasses
but just in  case

wear  your safety glasses.......many are even going to face shields [i should] [/i]
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline budman46

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 06:09:34 AM »
aside from how what well what works at what kind of price and the safety aspects of casting, a very real consideration is a supply of lead. if you have to buy it at the prices i've seen, casting could be more expensive than shooting jacketed bullets.

budman

stupidity is its own reward...
budman

ignorance is fixable...

Offline Virginian

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 06:51:25 AM »
I'm still gathering all my supplies. I did order a face shield and a leather apron. I've just about got all my items lined up. I'll be posting soon as I try my hand at it.
I did purchase Lyman's 4th edition. I'm still looking for the 3rd edition. I heard it carries more useful data then the most recent.
Thanks again for the advise and replies.
Eric

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »
Keep us informed.
Joshua 1:9