Author Topic: Interesting 30-30 barrel profile ?  (Read 578 times)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Interesting 30-30 barrel profile ?
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »
At a gunshow today. The only NEF rifle was a 30-30 mounted on an SB2 NP(2003) frame. The Gent freely admitted it wasn't the original barrel. Locked up OK, but the outer diameter of the barrel didn't alien with  the receiver profile.
The bottom half was the right size for the frame but the top half was much smaller than the receiver.
Looked something like this;

It had mounted iron sights and was drilled for a scope rail. I passed because he wanted a little more than I wanted to spend, He started at 300 then stuck at 250,, I would have taken it for 225.
(I already have 30-30,  in a Model 94)

What's up with that barrel profile ?? Olde School?
found elsewhere

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
Re: Interesting 30-30 barrel profile ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:22:28 PM »
Definitely old school.  The older models were this configuration.  I've got 3 like that.  One Hornet, two 30-30's.  They are much lighter and handier than the heavier barrelled ones. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:29:53 PM »
That sounds like a profiled barrel. It was the way M48 Toppers where made for a period of time. They needed a different base too.

This is the base it uses. I re contoured this one to fit my 32-20. Hole spacing is the same, the barrel diameter is important difference.

As far as I remember, it was offered in 22Hornet, 30-30, 410, 20, 16 and 12 Gauges.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »
Yeah, that's the barrel, 158, hhmmm. The bottom link with photo's from eskimo36
Too bad he had to have it on a new model frame. It wasn't a snap on though, I did pull the forearm off to double check it was indeed an sb2, and used the stubby philips screw driver I bring with for that purpose.
 I didn't even bother to look at the lug for modification, as I was more interested in the frame.
I now have more knowledge, Thank You.
found elsewhere