Author Topic: what bullets  (Read 1087 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
what bullets
« on: December 23, 2003, 04:33:22 AM »
what kind and cal. of bullets does everyone make?

Offline Donna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
what bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 05:36:18 AM »
Hello rickyp,

I make .224 open tip in both lead and powdered tungsten core ranging from 70-grains to 100-grains and .451 lead core hollow point, saber toothed, hollow cavity, and flat point from 180-grains to 325-grains with standard and copper tubing jackets.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
what bullets
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 05:55:09 AM »
Say What? Saber Tooth bullets?  :eek:  What dat beez Donna? Splain that to me.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
what bullets
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 06:23:32 AM »
Rickyp,  I like to fiddle around and only cast and swage bullets for myself. I believe (I'm a snow bird and am currently away from my records and tools) I can make over 20 different calibers of swaged bullets, some lead only, most are jacketed thou. Also make lead wire, tube jackets,  and reduce store bought jackets if needed. (I've a few sets for making strip jackets, but hven't gotten into that yet) The more I do the more I learn and the more I can understand what other swagers are REALLY saying. Right now each bullet I make costs me about $4.35 in cash, but the knowledge derived keeps me going. Reading is very beneficial, but doing it yourself can't be beat.  From time to time I do make obsolete jacketed bullets at cost for those who don't have any other way to get them. That doesn't happen often, thou, as most obsolete bullets were lead, and there are plenty of old molds available for those types. From memory here's what I swage: 224, 243, 257, 6.5mm, 7mm,30cal, 8mm, 32pistol, 32rifle,338, 348, 351, 358rifle, 375, 416, 43mauser, 458,  9mmpistol, 9mmrifle,357,44pistol ,45acp, 45LC, 41colt, 41AE. I know there are others that I can't remember. 8)

Offline rickyp

what bullets
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 08:03:52 AM »
Donna:
Tell me all about your 451 saber toothed bullets. how do they expand?
can you post a picture of them?

talon:
Tell me about your 7 mm & 375 bullets and 45 cal bullets.

Graybeard:
Do you swag your own bullets?

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
what bullets
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 10:20:07 AM »
I make .35 calibre bullets between 180 and 300 grains in weight.  I believe that I should be able to get down to the 150 grain area if I develop an interest.  My primary design has a hollow metallic tip to aid initial expansion, but a heavy jacket and minor core insert to regulate post impact expansion.  My maximum weight for these bullets is 290 grains.

I'm hoping to get into .311 and .308 bullets in the near future.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline Donna

• Contributor
what bullets
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 03:51:08 PM »
Hello GB and rickyp and all, :D

A saber tooth bullet is one that has folds around its radius at the tip, most noticeably with some type of hollow point. The bulletsmith can leave them more natural, like ridges and valleys, or s/he can close them smooth, like I have done. The first two pick’s shows the punch that makes the saber tooth point and the third are two bullets that I made using that punch.

The bullets made with this design are more explosive opening than one with out the saber tooth design. One person that tried them said that his conventional hollow point just put a hole in a phone book but mine not only put a hole in a phone book but also shredded it. I guess that is very good news, if I’m ever threatened by a phone book.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline rickyp

what bullets
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2003, 03:18:35 AM »
the one looks like the hornady XTP bullets

Offline Donna

• Contributor
what bullets
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2003, 03:24:51 PM »
:D

LOL, :grin:  It also looks like a lot of other bullets. There are only so many different designs that a bullet can have on the outside before it starts to look like some other bullet. Truthfully, I have never seen a Hornady XTP bullet, so your point being. My bullet does have an additional feature of having a three tenths of an inch, :eek:  hexagonal shaped hollow cavity that coincides with the hex saber tooth. This is to aid in rapid expansion. Like I’ve always said, a bullet design is dictated by its purpose. The purpose of this bullet is to come apart and shred, obviously for two legged snakes with out doing collateral damage. Two legged snakes have a very thin skin and are not very massive so it will not take much depth to do a great deal of damage and fragmenting easily will help to ensure that the bullet will not come out the other side to go into something else. The lead tip I call Ladyhawks and the fully jacketed tipped one I call Tigerclaws. They range in weight from 180-grain to 220-grain with the 200-grainers being the best weight to velocity ratio, out of an ACP I can get up to 1100+ fps., of course your mileage may differ. :roll:

Offline Glanceblamm

what bullets
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2004, 08:53:09 AM »
I dont know about that Donna...My belly is getting kinda massive :-D
Thanks for an interesting read. Did you have your punch made to your spec's?

Offline Donna

• Contributor
what bullets
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2004, 03:12:32 PM »
Not really, I just specified that the serrations be half the conical nose length.