Author Topic: Handi, Savage, or CZ in .308Win?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Handi, Savage, or CZ in .308Win?
« on: December 20, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
I FINALLY recovered ALL of my stolen property. It's been returned to me almost one piece at a time. Some of the 5 rifles were missing parts, some where badly rusted. Got my Huntsman all squared away. The 3 Handi's with rusted frames I'm going to send off to H-R to be refinished. That leaves my Stevens 200 in .308Win. It's a total loss. The bolt is rusted beyond belief and the bore is severly pitted. So I'll need to replace it. My choices are-

Savage
CZ
H-R

The Savage would be the most accurate in my opinion and have the best trigger. The CZ would have the best fit and finish of the 3. Definately old world type craftsmanship. The H-R, well it would be accurate enough for the job at hand, and definately the cheapest. I've had overall good luck with H-R's over the years. I like single shots. I know I can depend on the H-R in the worst hunting conditions. What say all of you? I'm leaning towards a Handi but want others opinions.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
Re: Handi, Savage, or CZ in .308Win?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 12:07:38 PM »
So no one has an opinion?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:13:43 PM »
In .308 my choices in order would be CZ, Handi,  and a far distant 3rd would be Savage.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline slngblde

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 3 miles north of Joe s
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »
Do you want to sell your stevens 200? i need one for a project, this would be perfect.

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:27:30 PM »
Seems like you know which one you want already, since you're asking here. ;D

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 12:28:41 PM »
Jim,

Since you are sending in 3 receivers have a 308 barrel fitted to one, assuming you have SB2s & Illion has a 308 in the acc. program, and use the money you save to buy a real nice scope.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline slngblde

• Avid Poster
  • 3 miles north of Joe s
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 12:28:54 PM »
Savage would get my vote for the replacement, the mark II 22's i own are great guns and extremely accurate.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 12:29:34 PM »
GREAT NEWS!!!

In .308 my choices in order would be CZ, Handi,  and a far distant 3rd would be Savage.

I agree 100%.

As mush as I like the Handi's you origionally bought this as a bolt gun. Bolt guns have there place and in a caliber like 308 it makes for a do it all bolt gun caliber.
The CZ is a quality piece and don't for one minute think less fo its accuracy potential! IMHO the CZ and the Savage are not in the same class of gun. Savage has come a long way, they are producing better and better firearms and getting more and more accurate. But the CZ is a damn nice gun!

My own Handi 308 is a 307/308 and shot very well with my loads in 308. I now shoot it 99% as a 307 Win as I prefer the rimmed cases.

As a matter of fact, right now there is a 308 Survivor barrel for sale in the classifieds. The survivor is a heavy barrel and a bit shorter then standard. Its what mine is too.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 12:33:08 PM »
The Handi, of course, easy answer for any Handiholic!!  ;D I have two 308 Wins, a bull barrel in Ultra Stock set and an M81 BLR.  8)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »
I have to agree with CW on this one, if you are set on a 308, I would go bolt, and go Savage for my money. If you were talking 30/30, I would say Handi Hands down ::) At this point I would even think about reaming a 30/30 out to 30/40 maybe.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 04:55:19 PM »
I like Savage's and love my Handi's but my money would go to the CZ all day long. ;)

Spanky

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »
I flat out love my Handis for hunts where one animal fills your tag, but I took my Handi 45-70 to TX for hogs last year, in that situation had I to do it over I would have used a faster reloading type gun. Not for safety reasons although I have read about angry pigs, but to put more meat in the freezer in a hurry. we could have killed maybe 5 more pigs had I had a bolt or lever. I will take a handi along on every trip, but there is a time and a place for it and when I could have had 200+ lbs more meat I should have swapped out guns. Still glad I took my first pig with a Handi, But I should have switched guns before we saw the next big herd/group. I vote for you owning a gun that gives you that option, not for every hunt but when you need one you have it.
Glad you got your guns back.... sorry for the condition.  thejanitor

Offline jeremybeaner

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 06:11:46 PM »
I have no experience with a handi (yet), or a cz, but i do have loads of experience with savage, it all depends on what model your picking up, if its a 110, thats the best bang for your buck  and pretty much going to be the same thing as your stevens.  in fact you can swap parts with the 2.  If its a 111, i would sway away from it, thats savage's attempt at a 110 with a clip and lets say they spent thier funds in the wrong places with that gun, low customization, no accu trigger, good bolt, iffy on the barrel quality.  any of the other models such as the 10,11,14,and 16 are awesome guns and you wont be upset. given those guns are all above the 500 range by a long shot depending on where you go.  The axis/edge is a budget rifle but holds its own on the range, i have one in a .308 and have 1" groups at 100+. the clip is functional, the stock is light with a great buttpad, the barrel is a matte finish which scratches easy but cleans up nicely. the bolts stainless but not pearled, pretty much the same bolt as your stevens, its smooth but the handle feels kind of cheap. good luck with your choice, im hoping this handi i just ordered performs at least as good as the budget axis.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »
 My Savage Weather Warrior 16FLSS .308 will do 3/4" all day with the load I worked up for it.  I really love that rifle!  All the same IF I could hope to get a Handi in .308 that would do about 1.5" on average, my Savage would probably be parked most of the time.  The overall length of the Handi-Rifle (or lack therof) would make the choice easy for me.  Thats ONLY if I can get a Handi to shoot, the last .308 I tried was an Ultra, was never much impressed with its three inch three shot groups. 

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »
i'd throw out another option for you (as much as i hate to say it) remington 770. you can buy them new around here for $279 and it comes with a 3x9x40,syn stock,clip fed. I'd consider one myself if they made one in left hand.

Offline sphingta

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »
I would also take the stevens for the right price since I have a 308 barrel I have laying around I took off a 110 and put a 257 roberts barrel on.

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 01:03:31 PM »
I'd opt for the Savage in 11F
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Bigeasy

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »
If I were doing the choosing, I would go with the CZ.  I own several, and they are some of the most accurate and well made rifles in their class.  The Accu trigger is nice, but many CZ models offer a single trigger that you can set by pushing it forward, giving you a 1 lbs trigger pull for precision shots.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 02:59:11 PM »
There IS a fourth option, and it's in the form of the Marlin XS7.  The first one I picked up was chambered to .308 Winchester, 22 inch barrel, wore a synthetic factory stock, 3.5 pound trigger with very little takeup or backlash, and the owner's manual tells you how to adjust it to 2.5 lbs.  With 165 Hornady's and 4895, 4064, or Varget, the rifle would go half inch with boring regularity.  Paid $329.00 for it then, I see 'em on sale now for $379 or less.
I'd darned sure take one before I bought another 200 Stevens (which I sold off after pulling my hair out over the nasty trigger, and the butt-ugly looks).
For the money, the CZ is a nice rifle.  I like the ones I've got, they shoot well, have held up really well, just that I can get a lot of other nice 'stuff' for the difference in price between the 550 CZ and the Marlin.
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 03:37:18 PM »
Since we are off topic now if I wanted a .308 it would be a Remington 700.  After all only accurate rifles are interesting.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »
As always, it definitely depends! ;)

First, what are you going to use it for?

Second, If you just want a .308, the Handi is your best value.

Third, If you really want to replace, go back with a bolt.  I have had my guns stolen too.  If you don't get another bolt, you will always think "if I just had my old .308 bolt-action".  You might say that anyway, but it won't hurt so bad if the new rifle shoots as well or better than the old.

Fourth, I have to wave the flag.  Savage and H & R are American made, CZ is imported.  This is a free country.  There is nothing wrong with buying a CZ if that is really what you want.  I own one myself.  I bought mine from a friend who needed the money (to buy another gun  ;D ), and I promised him first shot at it if I ever wanted to sell it.

Fifth, CZ makes a damn fine rifle.  I am not sure how they compare to Savage, as the closest I have is an old Stevens 110 to compare with.  As far as quality and workmanship along with accuracy, you cannot go wrong with a CZ.

Sixth, From what I have seen there is alot more parts and accessories available for Savage than the CZ.  Also Savage uses standard rings and bases for scope mounting.  Not sure if this is a selling point for you or not. 

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 07:28:05 PM »
Since we are off topic now if I wanted a .308 it would be a Remington 700.  After all only accurate rifles are interesting.
I was kinda wondering when you would mention the Remington 700. ;D
I agree with Swampy, the CZ is a great gun but, in 308, I would take a Remington 700.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.