Author Topic: Cannon Balls  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Kjosefy

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannon Balls
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:56:15 PM »
Where can you find Cannon Balls for a 1inch bore cannon?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Cannon Balls
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »
If the bore is 1" plus some windage, you can use these and they are on sale.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:13:27 PM »
Where can you find Cannon Balls for a 1inch bore cannon?

Look in the Blackpowder Cannons links list in the stickies.  There is a listing for cannon balls for shooting and I think the 1 inch supplier is  Magnet man or something lioke that.

Work of caution on 1 inch.  Measure you bore.  If you bore is 1 inch a one inch ball will not fit.  You need a smaller ball.  I had Jeff tanner make me a .987 diameter round ball mould for my 1.012 diameter bore.

If you bore is 1.000 then you will need a ball of of .975 for the correct windage.  THe balls  Magnet man supplies are 1.000 fo rthase the bore should be  1.025, allthough I have fired the 1.00 balls in my 1.012 bore with out a problem.

Some thing you might want o consider is getting some 4 bore wads to shoot with the balls.

Offline Kjosefy

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:17 PM »
OK i am feeling stupid here it is a 1.5 inch bore not a 1 inch. Although i can get 1.503 at one spot but generally it is right at 1.5 to 1.499 so my question is where can i get get balls for a 1.5 inch bore and what is the standard for how many thousands under size a ball should be.

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 06:54:40 PM »
Windage is generally considered to be 1/40 of bore diameter.   Or to say the same thing except differently the  projectile should be 39/40th of bore diameter.

Offline Warlock1

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »
I have a Dom 1" mortar (which I love to shoot) and he pointed me to http://www.bottomdwellerstackle.com/cannon_ball.htm I believe it is the 3 oz size. They are not a tight fit, loose and would roll down a 1" barrel. I'm not for a tight fit (all jokes asside ;D )  just want something to send down range to try and hit a stake and it works and works well for the price. I at first clipped the brass loop off but now just tie a short bit of flagging tape on it so everyone can follow it on the 45-50yrd down range trip. In the mortar I have not found the brass ring deformed upon recovery so it appears it is not revolving before it leaves the mortar, but I would definatly want to cut it off if shot in a cannon.

Tod

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 10:51:37 PM »
I have talked to these people http://www.miabasinkers.com/cannon_ball_sinkers and they said they could supply the 3 oz. cannon ball sinkers without the brass eyelet.

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 11:48:07 PM »
Try searching on gunbroker.com

There are lots offered there of countless sizes.

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 02:26:29 AM »
Get Sponsor HMR Cannons, Ed Hart to make you a mould to the right dimensions,  Ed's mould will cast you a round ball.   Ed will make you an aluminum mould or steel mould if you want to cast zinc.     

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 05:52:28 AM »
NOt sure if this is allowed but
 i  found a source of gun broker search cannon ball
who well cast any size ball he has a mold for he is in sprit lake WI
I bought my 1" balls from him they range .995 to.998 wieght is 2.9oz to 3.1oz
the nice thing is he cast up  enouf to fill a USPS flat rate box postal guy love wheni get a 50lb box of lead usualy around $80 per box including shipping

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 06:20:25 AM »
If you have his direct contact info you can post that.  You cannot post a  link to his gunbroker ad as techniclly that is a live auction.