Author Topic: mis-adventures  (Read 569 times)

Offline jamesfrom180

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
mis-adventures
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:42:02 AM »
Ok I just recently received a GB bore cannon.  Its barrel is essentially a howitzer patterned partly after a Parrot style rifled field piece.  That being said it has a reduced chamber and is only suitable to fire golf balls.  I had the maker of the barrel add four inches to increase the length and better match the proportions of the rifled piece.

After I received the barrel and carriage I realized the elevating screw was not to my liking.  My machining skills are woefully lacking but I do alright with minor fabrication.  I recognize my limits and would not attempt some things naturally. 

Mainly since the hole in the tail for the elevating screw is drilled perpendicular to the tail and not plumb.  Also the original builder used a butterfly screw that would not suffice for my taste.  After using the cannon and having the press fit nut work out of the wood I decided to pattern a more appropriate elevation mechanism. 

I first filled the original hole with a dowel.  Then using the original nut I turned or more appropriately ground round the hex shape created a plate which I then welded.  This assembly will be painted and with the addition of a screw from a C clamp should make a sufficient elevating device. 
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
Re: mis-adventures
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »
hopefully a picture was attached
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »
How about a picture of your barrel.  Who made it?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 02:44:15 AM »
A picture will be coming after I re-assemble it. 
The manufacturer was Gunsmoke Cannons, listed in the links sticky but I found him before I found this forum.
So far I've been pleased with his work.  I just prefer a better fitment and quality. 
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »
Ok she went together and maybe by monday I'll have a good fire and smoke pic for you guys.
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 03:05:50 PM »
Who made the carriage and wheels?

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 03:27:25 AM »
Double D : Again this came with the gun.  So Tim and GunSmoke, note please don't confuse him with the talked about shop in CO.  Tim has started building his own wheels they are ten spoke if you can not see them in the photo. They are not dished but are pretty tight.  He did not heat the tire on but they are still a good fit.  We will see what the Florida humidity and AC do to them. 

I questioned him on construction before purchasing and he responded as such;

"James , I understand your trepidation , but , in 8 years of building Barrels , first for myself and friends , then for the Cannon loving Public , and over 500 Barrels later , I have never built a grenade ! My 2 shop Cannons have been abused in every way imaginable , and never a failure .   My Barrels are Ordnance Steel , 7/16 " wall thickness , with a turned Breech Block that has a Graduated Powder Chamber Milled into the Block , sloped at 37 degrees into a 120 grain pocket that allows center of the ball firing . The Breech Block is then Pinned and welded into the Barrel .The Onion is then welded to the block and inside wall of the barrel using TIG Welding . A 5/16 thick steel tube is then welded to the firing area on the outside of the Barrel . This gives a wall thickness of 3/4 inches at the firing area . After this the Barrel is balanced and marked for Trunnion placement ."

He also listed the alloy as 4140.  The chamber he talks about is approximately half and inch.  So he exceeds the design for a howitzer by the 1:1:1 rule. 
AMMA Bosslopper 1988