Author Topic: any accuracy issues switching barrels?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline PPosey

• Trade Count: (0)
any accuracy issues switching barrels?
« on: December 14, 2011, 05:04:23 AM »
Once you have a barrel set up for your reciever, scope mounted and right on with a good load, is it a pretty sure thing that you will still be right on if you take the barrel off and reinstall?
Why ride a darn fine horse to death,, then blame the horse?

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: any accuracy issues switching barrels?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 05:37:29 AM »
Once you have a barrel set up for your reciever, scope mounted and right on with a good load, is it a pretty sure thing that you will still be right on if you take the barrel off and reinstall?
Yes, with qualifications.  You have to remember that when you take the barrel off, and then reinstall it, you remove and reinstall the forearm screw.  The tightness of the reinstalling of the forearm screw may affect the POI.  That said, it won't be by much.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 02:20:15 PM »
You will have to determine how your gun handles it.  Mine are usually closer than 2" at 100 yds from where I left them, But thats just how mine are set up. They are generally close. but not worth losing a deer over, I always re-confirm, but if I had to switch on the fly mid season I would keep the shots close until I could be sure it was "on"...
thejanitor

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
All rifles are different in that they are not all the same, if that makes any sense!

What that means is each barrel is fitted to that specific frame and one size doesn't fit all, so any slight variation can make a difference in POI.

I just recently tinkered with my 45-70 at the range and took the forearm and barrel off after firing a few rounds.

When I fired it before I took it down I was hitting dead center of the bullseye, and after taking it down and putting it back to gether I had to re adjust the scope because it was hitting 6" high and 2" left.

That is quite a difference at 50 yards.    That said, everything equal, you can usually look to the tension on the forearm screw as the culprit.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:24:25 PM »
every gun is a law unto itself.  I switch between .44 mag and .45-70 without any sight change.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
When I was switching between 30/30 and 223; no effect on the 30/30, significant effect on the 223.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »
When I was switching between 30/30 and 223; no effect on the 30/30, significant effect on the 223.

That's why all of mine are on their own dedicated frames.  Changing barrels wastes time and ammo.  Besides......I'm lazy.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 04:07:30 PM »

That's why all of mine are on their own dedicated frames.  Changing barrels wastes time and ammo.  Besides......I'm lazy.

Pete

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »
As OSR mentioned its more about the forend thn the receiver. (As long as both fit properly.)

This is the reason I do not consider these switch barrel firearms... ALL of mine have dedicated receivers now. (And for some time now too!)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 01:48:01 AM »
Not to hijack, but to get a little more info: So, when you break down, or disassemble and put back together, how do you get the for end screw the same every time? Do many folks here use a torque wrench, or just go by "feel"?

Offline PPosey

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 02:12:13 AM »
Thanks for the replies, that's more than I thought it would be in some cases! Makes more of a case for having a frame for each as well,,,,
Why ride a darn fine horse to death,, then blame the horse?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 04:14:13 AM »
Not to hijack, but to get a little more info: So, when you break down, or disassemble and put back together, how do you get the for end screw the same every time? Do many folks here use a torque wrench, or just go by "feel"?

For years it was by feel. Now a "FAT" wrench makes it easy!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 04:27:40 AM »
It can work without significant changes for some, as has been stated, and if yours does thats great, if not , well..... For me it always seemed I had the 'wrong' barrel on for what I wanted to play with or test out, and I am compelled to check -0- whenever I swap anyway, so it took more /messing about' to be good to go than I really wanted. Now I can grab and go......loving it!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 07:23:13 AM »

Pete

Same here. ;D
I try the barrel on each frame until I get the best fit then sight it in and leave it alone. ;)

Spanky

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »
Got 6 complete guns now. Had more barrel than receivers so picked the ones that shot the best and the rest went. For now . that said i had good results with swapping the barrels on a few receivers once sighted in.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »
Yep fat wrench here too. ;D
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 04:08:57 PM »

For years it was by feel. Now a "FAT" wrench makes it easy!!

CW

Set Screw in the lug hole. The screw can only go into where I set it and no further everytime. Set screw is in place with Locktite red.  :D
I swap barrels but each barrel has it's own forearm,, bedded to that barrel.
found elsewhere

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 02:46:36 AM »
Had to google FAT wrench, never had seen them. It looks like a handy (handi) tool to have.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 12:07:15 PM »
I have 2 frames with 3 barrels each. I have the barrel that came with the frame and sent each frame in for 2 more barrels, so they are all factory fitted. Each barrel has it's own fore end and each are Pillar bedded (how to pillar bed is in the FAQ section). I do not get any POI shift when I switch my barrels. It takes all of 2 minutes to switch. The fore end screws are all button head screws with a hex hole for an Allen wrench. I keep a ratcheting t-handled driver with the proper driver bit right in my shooting box and one on my loading/cleaning bench.

One of my factory fitted barrels was sent off to the un-named gunsmith and stubbed. It originally was a light weight 22 Hornet that I had some issues with. It looked like they found it in the back warehouse. The screw was missing out of the front sight hole and it was rusty. Now it is a very accurate 22K Hornet ;D

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 01:08:17 PM »
as LaOtto said.......... each barrel has its own forend.

and i recommend a torque setting for each, with its own screw.
ours never drift, and thatsa fact !!!! sure, i cud hava receiver for each barrel.... but that
takes tha fun outta these handies... when ya know what ya got in your hands ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
I have a 17 HMR with a 22mag barrel.
I would not do it again unless you will use each set up for an extended time.
With the cost of the accessory barrel, shipping, insurance and a dedicated scope the cost of a new rifle should be considered.
With a separate rifle you can set up each rifle, scope trigger etc to your liking and just grab the rifle you want.
I do find there is a difference when changing barrels, even with a dedicated scope and screw torqued to 20 pounds I have to re zero with each switch
MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 04:47:52 PM »
I only have one switcher as of yet.  It's great though and I never crank a forearm screw super tight.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 02:40:17 AM »
I have a 17 HMR with a 22mag barrel.
I would not do it again unless you will use each set up for an extended time.
With the cost of the accessory barrel, shipping, insurance and a dedicated scope the cost of a new rifle should be considered.
With a separate rifle you can set up each rifle, scope trigger etc to your liking and just grab the rifle you want.
I do find there is a difference when changing barrels, even with a dedicated scope and screw torqued to 20 pounds I have to re zero with each switch

The SS1 was the last of my "switch barrel" h&rs too! Over the past year I bought two more rimfire receivers. Now all my rimfires have dedicated receivers. I fit each carefully and have been rewarded with excellent shooters.

Just last night i was working on refitting two barrels and receivers. I like to change out latch springs on heavier recoiling calibers as I feel they move or can move under recoil. If the do could be a problem for them accuracy wise. Anyhow one was my 454 and the other my shorty Maxi. Both where shimmed. I swapped receivers (SB2) and found NEITHER. Seder shimms any longer! The maxi snapped on nicely but the 454 required me to lower the shelf about .003 now they both close like a bank vault and leave a good even centered contact patch on the shelf.

Merry Christmas,
CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 09:43:57 AM »
Had to google FAT wrench, never had seen them. It looks like a handy (handi) tool to have.

You mean to tell me you never saw a wrench, that was in need of a diet? 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.