Author Topic: Tragic Death  (Read 936 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Tragic Death
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:43:34 AM »
(I wasn't quite sure which forum to post this in so please know it won't bother me a bit if it's moved to the right place. It's an importantant enough topic that anyone who fires a gun of any type needs to read it and to be aware of where their bullets are going. )

In Ohio recently a man decided to unload his muzzleloader by firing it into the air.  :o  Not only an extremely foolish thing to do but it ended in the death of a 15 year old Amish girl whom the bullet came down and killed!

On many "Break Open" muzzleloaders such as mine and my son's Optimas, and many in-lines in general, it is very easy to simply pull the breech plug and push the load on through with the ramrod. The advantages are many; foremost it's SAFE! Also, the bore remains clean, as it hasn't been fired, and you can reuse the pellets and bullet so no waste! With the breech plug removed the pellets will usualy just drop right out, you only need to push the bullet through. :) Even if the rifle has been fired, and reloaded, it's still by far the safest way to unload.

Firing a gun in the air is equivilant to just closing your eyes, pointing it in a random direction and pulling the trigger! It's every bit as dangerous!

Firing into the ground isn't realy safe either. You may just hit something other than just dirt. We found that out years ago when the fired bullet came flying back hitting a friend square in the chest. Luckily it had lost steam, only left a bruise, but it was a serious awakening and a lesson learned and never to be forgot! On traditional muzzleloaders, I know it's more complicated to unload,  I simply shoot into a target I KNOW is safe!

Bullets don't have brains folks and unfortunately people don't always use their's. Think before pulling the trigger. You'll not likely regret it that you did. :)

Prayers go out to the poor girl and her family and to the man who fired the shot. He has to live with it the rest of his life, and rightly so!

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
Re: Tragic Death
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »
Saw that and I seriously question what really happened. Not sure I believe that's all he was doing, but doesn't sound like there's anyone to dispute his claim. I'll continue to unload mine when I'm done for the season by shooting into a safe backstop.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 12:56:05 AM »
I have a new respect for the power of the muzzleloader.. This year's deer was taken by this shot, after passing through the log, and a complete pass through the deer, standing on the other side of the log! (245 aero powerbelt, 90gr 777)!  What a horrible tragedy. I will unload my traditional muzzleloader, after my last hunt this year.... Into a large dirt mound, as I exit the woods!

Offline Rock Home Isle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 01:38:44 AM »
Once you pull the trigger and that bullet goes down range...you own it, it is yours; and all that that entails.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »
Last news I saw about this on Yahoo indicated that they are now treating this as a homicide. They weren't specific but I'm guessing "negligent homicide".
http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-shooting-girl-amish-buggy-homicide-141657408.html
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
It's still under investigation, waiting on the ballistics report.

Tim

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-12-20/justice/justice_ohio-buggy-death_1_amish-girl-buggy-ballistics-report?_s=PM:JUSTICE

Amish girl's death appears accidental, sheriff says
The shooting death of a 15-year-old Amish girl in east-central Ohio last week is likely to be ruled an accident, Holmes County Sheriff Timothy Zimmerly said on Tuesday.

Racher Yoder, 15, was shot while inside a horse-drawn buggy on her way home.

It appears she was struck by a stray bullet, Zimmerly said. A neighbor told authorities he fired his weapon while cleaning it, and the sheriff believes that bullet hit the girl.

Still, an official ruling is pending the results of a ballistics report, Zimmerly said.

No charges have been filed.

CNN affiliate WOIO reported that Yoder was on her way back from a Christmas party when she was shot. She managed to stay in the buggy until it neared her home, at which point she fell out, WOIO said. The victim's brother found Yoder on the ground, it said.

She was transferred to Akron City Hospital and died Friday afternoon, the network reported.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hillbill

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »
why on earth you would fire in the air ill never understand.im in a lightly populated rural area and i would not even think about doing that.let alone hittin a person id be afraid id hit a cow and have to pay for it.with a inline i just pull the breech plug and tap out the bullet, with a cap rifle i just put a screw down the barrel and pull the ball.at the very worst fire into a tree but NEVER in the air. what was he thinking? i guess in this case stupidity IS illeagal for sure.
/

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 03:37:00 AM »
Your statement makes a lot of sense there hillbill.

Should this case ever go to trial it will most likely boil down to a position of "Reasonable & Prudent"...and a reasonable & prudent person would not shoot a rifle up into the air. Most likely we're looking at a Man-Slaughter case.

It's Num-Nuts like this that leave a bad impression in the minds of the general public concerning people that own firearms.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 04:02:18 AM »
Last night I was in a tree waiting the a decent buck to show. None did. Nearby, a little higher, a turkey clucked and chirped and tempted me. Kept tempting me. I thought about it. Didn't do it - never know where that bullet might have ended up.

Terrible thing, what happened to that girl. And I feel badly for the guy who did it, without malice. Grim all around; the positive should be that we all remember this event before squeezing the trigger.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.