Author Topic: Questionable deer season for me?  (Read 921 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Questionable deer season for me?
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
Due to a back injury that hasn't really improved since June, I am going in for surgery a week from tomorrow. Should be the one that trims the disc and a laminectomy. I have already figured the early part of bow season is over for me, but maybe with some luck the gun week, ML season and late bow season with crossbow will be possible. Hoping for one of them anyway. At least that is my goal...

I can't remember the last time I had to miss a deer season.
Good luck to everyone and safe hunting!  Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
Re: Questionable deer season for me?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 01:48:26 PM »
Joe
I hope everything comes out alright for you and you can atleast make it gun hunting!
                             Good Luck!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 06:21:40 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes!
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline BIG Dog454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »
About 6 or 7 years ago the doctor scheduled me for heart surgery, he wanted me to do it in Oct, I told him I couldn't go it till after Christmas.  When he found out that it was because of Deer season, he was PO.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 02:58:39 PM »
I missed a spring turkey season one year due to heart surgery!
My hunting buddy told me I had to schedule these medical procedures after hunting season is over...but this one needs to be done now.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »
Hope all goes well for you!

-Winter Hawk-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 03:56:13 PM »
Joe,

Good luck with the surgery and hope you have a quick recovery.  One of my hunting partners is going in for essentially the same surgery the end of October and he plans on making opening day of gun season in Vinton Co. 

It seems the older you get the more of your outdoor buddies have something wrong.  Deer gun this season we have 5 hunters in camp with the following issues;

#1. Recent back surgery
#2. hooked to an Oxygen bottle 24/7
#3. near end stage Parkinson diesease
#4. survivor of 2 cancer surgeries.
#5. multiple heart stints

The only healthy fellow we have is my son, but he is away in Air Force fighter pilot training in Texas & Arizona.  I guess as long as I have one eye and one trigger finger that works I will keep going.

Best of Luck

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 04:44:38 AM »
I think with a little luck I will be ok for opening of gun season. Getting older does have its challenges though! Good luck to you and your hunting buddies BB! Joe

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 04:55:49 AM »
Glad to report the surgery went very well and I am home recuperating.  No pain at all from the first day after surgery down the leg. Now to just rest, recuperate and start the exercise program the doc wants me to do to rebuild strength in that leg. Maybe I will be OK for firearms season and late bow season after all! Joe ;)

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 02:28:45 PM »
   Joe,   I am sure you will be up to hunting within the next 4 - 5 weeks,  just be sure to have friends  you can call to help get your deer out of the woods.
  This has happened to me before and good friends are allways willing to help out.     Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 12:38:21 PM »
Jedman I am sure my buddies will help me out! Joe

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 04:58:32 PM »
It's good to hear that the surgery went well, Joe.  Messing with the spine always scares me.  A former supervisor of mine had back troubles, they operated four times on him over five years and the end result was that he was in worse shape than when they started!  Other people have told me similar stories.  The orthopedic surgeon in Ketchikan quit doing back surgery because he felt it did more harm than good.

Again, I am glad to hear that you are doing okay.  Take it easy and let it heal right, and don't push it.  There will be more hunting seasons ahead and you don't want to have a messed up back because you wanted to get out this year before your back was ready!

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 06:14:36 PM »
Thanks Kees good advice there. I was fortunate to have one of the top surgeons around, he is the surgeon to top NFL players. Fortunately too my surgery wasn't very involved so the prognosis was very good.
Joe

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 06:17:57 PM »
got a great get well present today from one of my best friends-
about 60# of wheel wgts. so I can make some bullets while I have all this free time recuperating! You never know when WW will come your way- ask everyone. You gotta love that kind of friendship!!

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 03:54:13 AM »
Sounds like a great way to recuperate!

-Kees-

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 03:59:31 AM »
I cannot pick up anything heavier than half gal. of milk so smelting those WW will be for later in the fall.  I can pour some boolits though using my remaining ingots and there is always reloading too. Nothing heavy there to lift.  Joe

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 09:55:17 AM »
I've had 3 back surgeries,the last being the best when they cut out 4 dick and put in mechanical stuff. You really need to watch where you step so you don't slip and also back off from shooting the big guns for awhile,recoil can hurt like heck. I had to also skip bow season for a year but the next year I reduced the pull wt and it was fine. Now the main thing that bothers is the dampness. Good luck,with the right Dr.they can do bout anything,but it took me 3 tries to find the right one.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 03:46:16 AM »
So far been hunting 3 times, twice with the crossbow with a mechanical cocking device, and once the opening day of gun season. Saw nothing on opening day with all the rain. The other two days saw some does but passed on those...there is always the later bow season I may take one of those does.  Back only complained the day it rained, too much dampness.

Joe