Author Topic: Barrel replacement on 088 20ga  (Read 671 times)

Offline hghrev

• Trade Count: (1)
Barrel replacement on 088 20ga
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »
Just picked up a free 088 20 ga the other day and I was sent here for help. I'm having a really difficult time finding a replacement barrel. Somebody had a brain fart and shortened the barrel down to 12 1/4. These guns seem to be very popular over the years, so why is it near impossible to find a barrel? I've seen that the '87 and later models can be sent back to h&r for a new barrel. But, it sounds pricey and I don't know the year of manufacture anyways. Since the gun was free and good used ones go for $100 or less, I don't want to spend very much. If I find a good replacement, would there be any additional work needed besides a direct swap?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan on posting a wanted ad in the classifieds too.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Barrel replacement on 088 20ga
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »
I have a couple of Model 88's and I can mix and match the barrels from those with my newer H&R/NEF's (Pardners and Toppers) to see which fit best. I suggest you watch the classifieds and pick up a barrel of your choice, 12, 16, 28, 20 gauges or .410 bore and take a shot that it will fit. If not there are very simple fitting instructions in the FAQ's. Be careful with that short barrel, you would not want a Fed to charge you with the felony. There was a member who was looking for a couple of 20 gauge barrels for a stub (custom barrel) project in the WTB's. It might be best to sell the short 20 and then just buy a longer barrel from the classifieds. That's what I would do.
Welcome aboard, good luck, and have fun....<><.... :)   
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Barrel replacement on 088 20ga
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »
Off topic, I wouldn't recommend the old silver soldered underlug M088 barrel for a stub project for any thing high pressure, it would be fine for a low pressure chambering tho.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain