Author Topic: Snow Camping  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Matt in AK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Snow Camping
« on: January 10, 2003, 05:46:14 PM »
:D Thinking about doing some snow camping with my Kifaru tipi/stove combo.  I've snow camped in Colorado and just dug a hole in the snow so I'd have a wind break and then set the tent on the snow with a fire a little ways away from the door.  Now I've got a floorless Kifaru with a stove.  Should I dig down to dirt or just to firm footing? :?

http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM
Isaiah 6:8

Offline Daveinthebush

Interesting!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 06:34:32 PM »
Over here you would be down about 4 feet.

Matt I am really interested in your tent.  I have read of others using it and it sounds semi-practical.  I say "semi" because two of the problems I have found are "dry land" and large flat areas.

Because of that I just made a tent platform to carry in the boat that folds in half that is the size of the base of my tent.

I would say that if your going to use the stove you would have to dig down.  If not, wouldn't the snow around the edge of the tent melt and the tent become unstable?

Just my thoughts. Good luck! Just do it!
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline jim

tepee
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2003, 06:21:41 AM »
Doesn't your tepee get holes in it from sparks ?
jim

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
Kifaru
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2003, 09:01:40 AM »
Dave -- Good point about the "ground" melting.  I've only used the tent in the bush on one trip thus far and we were lucky to find a flat spot big enough.  The ground was damp/mossy but not soaked.  The stove had the ground dried out pretty quickly.  Neat thing is that there's a bit of 550 cord that circles the top of the tipi inside -- hang wet socks/shirts and they're dry in the morning.

Jim -- No holes in the tent.  Just above the stove in the stovepipe are two mesh screens (removeable/adjustable) that keep sparks from making it out of the stovepipe.  I haven't had any problems...yet.

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
Cheechako
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2003, 08:54:53 AM »
:D Headline reads -- "Cheechako Smokes Self"

My son and I camped out in the yard last night...for a little while anyway.  We went out earlier and gathered some wood for the stove.  Now, for those of you who are still cheechakos like me...those frozen limbs on the ground...are wet when they thaw...duhhhhh? :eek:   Oh yeah, and wet wood don't stay lt really well...but it do smoke like a chimney...which will drive you out of the tent post haste. :-D

One more thing...  If you sneak back in the house and try and cuddle up with the ol' lady while smelleing like you're a smoked salmon...you will take a shower...even if it ain't time for your annual. :)

Offline Daveinthebush

What's dry wood?
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2003, 03:39:37 PM »
The only dry wood I have seen in quite a while is the stuff in the wood shop at school. :grin:

Yea it can be a problem here as you found out.  That is why I carry more intense fire starting solutions when out camping.  Like a quart of #2 fuel oil!

And your right about the wife.  It is difficult to find one that will let you snuggle up when you have a variety of outdoor smells on your.  

The dog never complains! :D
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor