Author Topic: Interesting video from CVA....blown up guns  (Read 2074 times)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Interesting video from CVA....blown up guns
« on: May 15, 2011, 06:07:47 PM »
http://www.cva.com/dangerous-loading-practices.php

Helps keep a fella' on focus to watch one of these clips every now and again....

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Badgerbob

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Interesting video from CVA....blown up guns
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »
Wow, good video.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 05:47:22 PM »
a great refresher
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Fletch6

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 11:47:08 AM »
120 grains of HS6 is 3 times the recomended load for a 10 gauge shot gun.  the recomended load for this is 40 grains.  no wonder the gun blew up.

Offline indymadcaster

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:05:09 PM »
yes 3 times the recomended charge for a 10 gauge!    OR buy a Savage ML-10       safest thing..........   Notice in the video there is NO mention of the Savage or SMI guns............................................. go figure     

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 05:39:19 AM »
Obviously staged video, but I still wouldn't buy any CVA firearm regardless of cost.

I will keep buying Thompson Center U.S.A. made barrels and not CVA's Spanish made barrels.

My in-line muzzleloader is the T/C Encore 209x50 and I use 100 grains of pelleted or granular Pyrodex or Triple Seven. I follow Hodgdon warning and never use more than 100 grains, even though others use 150 grains.
http://hodgdon.com/ml-warning.html

WOW, I certainly hope my Accurate #5 fast burning pistol powder doesn't find its way into my muzzleloader flask. If I am dazed, I just might just short charge my barrel and not pay attention to the placement of the ramrod marked by me when my barrel is properly charged with powder and projectile.

yooper77

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 07:33:27 AM »
yes 3 times the recomended charge for a 10 gauge!    OR buy a Savage ML-10       safest thing..........   Notice in the video there is NO mention of the Savage or SMI guns............................................. go figure   

Why would they show the savage when its designed for smokeless powder?

The point is to show Bubba out there and his friends what can happen should you get the dumb idea of " lets just try a little smokeless" and see how it goes.

They also showed what can happen with pellet powder as well even just by short starting the projectile.

Offline Underclocked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 07:51:57 AM »
Agree whole heartedly with everything in the video except the comment about not using FFFg in a rifle.

Staged??  What the heck does that mean!?  Of course it was staged, planned, and scripted.

Think what you want about CVA rifles - the Apex and Accura are very nice rifles and surely as safe as anything out their that is a real muzzleloader (smokeless powder models need not apply).
WHUT?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 08:33:46 AM »
Something everyone should see, to refresh ones memory about the possible repercussions of miss loading or firing with a barrel obstruction.

I also wondered about the use of 120 Grs... 100 I could see maybe even 150 as many muzzle loaders today take this loading. Personally I do not think there would have been a big difference, maybe the extra 20 Gr's simply drove the point home more dramatically...

I think the smokeless muzzle loaders where omitted for two reasons. CVA doesn't make one and mentioning it would have made it a confusing video.

I agree under clocked, In a perfect world, F is cannon, FF is rifle, FFF is pistol and FFFF is priming powder.  FF and FFF BOTH make good RIFLE powders!!! You just cannot substitute one for the other!

Of course it was a staged production... That's why they fired them from a Lead Sled!! Kinda misleading is they made a video on Black Powder blow ups and none happened... ::)

Thanks for the link Mechanic!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 09:41:39 AM »
I agree with Underclocked, FFFg is also for rifles in .45 cal and smaller. It also works well in other calibers such as .50 and .54, just reduce FFg volume loads by 10-15% to start.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member