Author Topic: Mortar block dimensions?  (Read 529 times)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Mortar block dimensions?
« on: December 26, 2011, 04:56:59 AM »
I am ready to start the base for my bronze mortar project.  Pictures to follow. 
Tube OD is 2".  The trunion shaft is 3" long.  I'm planning to laminate so I can start by boring the trunion recess.    That will take (4) 3/4" boards, plus (1) more to cap each side.  So a width of 4 1/2".
The tube is 4 3/8" including the trunions.  3 7/8" to trunion center line.  I'm thinking the length about 8". 
4.5" x 8"...  just seems narrow.  Is this right?  Should I add additional laminations to the width so it will look right?     
Thanks, guys!

Offline ironball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Mortar block dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 07:20:04 AM »
Proportionally, it's wider than the Federal bases. 15x31" if I remember correctly.
Never let the people with all the money and the people with all the guns be the same people.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 07:40:29 AM »
Flagman1776,

I look forward to the pics.

Michael

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 09:18:05 AM »
I added the latest pictures on the build thread I'd already started:
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,237958.0.html

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 11:55:17 AM »
Sounds like your piece is between 23% and 24% of a US 24 pounder Coehorn.  As mentioned by ironball, the Coehorn base is 15" x 31" and it is 9" high, with varying details of the top corner treatment.  Rather than adding a whole 3/4" board on each side, I would saw one in half the thin way (two pieces of 5/16" thickness) and use them for the outside pieces.  That would come out almost perfect in width.  The trunnion does not have much wood on the outside ends; remember, this was supposed to be a light weight piece that two men could carry (even if they had to strain to carry it; generals never carried mortars.)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »
Thanks George,  good tips!
Russ

Offline ironball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 12:59:57 PM »
To my eyes, the Federal base is too long in proportion to the tube. When I build mine, I will make it shorter. The Golden Ratio suggests 24" length for a 15" width. Some of the really nice ones I have seen here seem to be much closer to this size.  So maybe your width is OK, and just shorten the length?
Never let the people with all the money and the people with all the guns be the same people.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »
While you don't have to copy the US Coehorn if you aren't making a model of it, you do want the axis of the bore (and the recoil) to pass through the bottom of the mount.  If it passes behind the rear edge of the mount, you may find your mortar turning somersaults when it is fired.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 09:40:33 AM »
you do want the axis of the bore (and the recoil) to pass through the bottom of the mount.  If it passes behind the rear edge of the mount, you may find your mortar turning somersaults when it is fired.
This is a good point...   I was thinking the same thing.   

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 02:20:15 AM »
I scaled width x length & came up with 7.2" L.  I cut 3" maple last night & bored the center boards for the trunions.  More to follow.