Author Topic: AR 15 Questions & Suggestions  (Read 379 times)

Offline noleman

• Trade Count: (0)
AR 15 Questions & Suggestions
« on: December 27, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »
Guys,  I have an interest in getting a semi-automatic rifle for hunting hogs and deer as well as general plinking.  I have studied on a Saiga in 7.62 X 39, but the versatility of an AR rifle intrigues me.  Problem is I'm not sure which caliber or which brand.  I normally tend to go middle of the road as to price and quality.  I looked at the Doublestar on line and I have seen the S&W.  I'm probably not skilled enough to build a kit, so I'm looking at a ready to shoot rifle.

Any suggestions as to caliber, gun brands or dealers will be appreciated. 

Offline Bart Solo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: AR 15 Questions & Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »
There are about a million options for the AR platform, but since you are looking at something in 7.62X39 you might want to look at Double Star's offering.  The MFSP is about $950.  You might want look at something in the 6.8 SPC caliber.  I think Bushmaster has one in the mid price range. 

The great thing about the AR is you can swap out barreled upper assemblies and run the standard 5.56, the 6.8 SPC, the 6.8 Grendel or the Russian round as you see fit.  The beauty of the 7.62X39 is there are millions of rifles chambered for the round and billions of rounds of ammunition have been manufactured. You could probably find ammo anywhere in the world.