Author Topic: (1947) HR 20 gauge sight  (Read 1534 times)

Offline davey

• Trade Count: (0)
(1947) HR 20 gauge sight
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:29:32 AM »
want to put rear sight (in/on screw hole) for turkey gun --- any ideas ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline davey

Re: (1947) HR 20 gauge sight
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 04:06:07 AM »
gun is going to be set up for youth turkey; recommend a rear sight/ammo ? thanks for info

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 05:42:41 AM »
Mine's a 12ga, can't make a recommendation for ammo other than lead shot only, make sure of the chamber length, it's probably not 3".

Tim

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:56:03 AM »
Probably use #2 shot, but you should check local laws.  Here in Mi, that's the biggest you can use.  ;)  As for sights, you might consider using a red-dot.  For turkey ranges it'd be plenty accurate.  8)  Just mount a std. scope mount on the holes and attach red-dot to mount.  ;)

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/barska-compact-multi-reticle-reflex-sight.aspx?a=277919

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 10:48:46 AM »
I use #7 Heavyweight Flitecontrol 3" in my 20ga H&R TDC for Turkey, but it's a modern barrel, #5 or #6 lead should work fine in the vintage barrel for turkey tho as long as it will pattern acceptably, you'll have to determine the max range of effective patterns tho, but like I said, make sure the chamber is made for 3", the 1947 barrel is likely only good for the shorter rounds, it's always possible the chamber was reamed to accept the longer shells tho. If it will accept 3", Federal makes lead Flitecontol loads too, I shoot the 2¾" 12ga #6 in my 1940 H&R.

If you want a rear sight, you'll have to either have it drilled and tapped or you can epoxy it on, some have done that. There are front sights that can be affixed over the bead, some are magnetic.

Tim

Offline 1greg

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 11:53:12 AM »
Davey-

Try the Winchester - Supreme - Double X® Magnum, Turkey Loads #5 shot 

great success and patterns from a 26" modified barrel

2 shots, two turkeys in two different years ! 

I have often thought of mounting a Williams 5D-aperature holder on the rear of the barrel…a real gunsmith would have to drill two holes approximately 20° apart and bend the tabs to the same diameter as the barrel. It would be adjustable for windage and could use brass shims for elevation adjustments.

along with a

Carlson’s high visibility shotgun bead ~ like an Ithaca Ray-bar sight:

or

Truglo’s - Glo-Dot II ~ that fits by encircling the barrel

and a Uncle Mike’s sling swivel / barrel band swivel combo for carrying after the tag is filled. 

Williams used to sell the 5D-apt. holder and mounting screws, via a phone call.

It would be a great set up for a person with youthful eyes. I got old too soon !

add in some slugs and it will take care of all your widow making needs in the timber

gun is going to be set up for youth turkey; recommend a rear sight/ammo ? thanks for info
God Bless ya'll

Greg

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." --Galileo Galilei

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 12:05:10 PM »
I have added Winniams peeps to a number of Handis. (Yes, this is a Savage 220).

I have also installed T/C rear sites to the barrels. The T/C rear site is veru well made with click adj index detents for both windage and elevation. (its also a dandy replacement site for a Ruger MK I/II/III  ::) !

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline davey

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 04:04:01 AM »
thanks for info
the gun is a m48 topper(1947) 2 3/4 - per condition and a kids might use it one or two seasons; (fancy) sights would be more than gun is worth----considering soder or epoxy sight on rear and/or putting two fiber optic (fit over smooth barrel type) sights front and rear so they can aim by lining up the two ---whatever is easier for first timers to aim

maybe epoxy a sight bead in (screw) hole on top of receiver in front of hammer - any more ideas?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 06:41:03 AM »
Epoxy for a Williams peep would likely hold well, it doesnt weigh hardly anything, so the weight wont be trying to take it off. Ive used black plastic electricians tape to tightly wrap an on front ramp with the right height blade onto the front of a barrel. I did it to try out the height and it was on over a year.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline davey

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 07:57:39 AM »
thanks again for info- might try epoxy williams or replacement sights for remingtons (plain barrel)
-on the barrel stamped "..20 gauge " , etc and  "CHOKE" at end- specifically what choke is it , looks like not much of a choke and any ideas per shooting slugs

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 08:35:06 AM »
Try the plain old Remmington Sluggers for 20 ga. i shoot them out of a full choke Pardner barrel and its good to go for deer up to 75yds for me. Very little leading, easily removable.  Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline davey

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 03:56:31 AM »
epoxy and metal sights look like it will work ok - this M48 has serial # F11530 and just the word "choke" ; is it 2 3/4 and full choke (ok to shoot slugs if full choke) ?

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
Slugs should do well through a full choke.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone