Author Topic: O.A.L.  (Read 447 times)

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
O.A.L.
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:13:06 AM »
I loaded my first 45acp bullets the other nite. I'm loading 180grSWC cast in front of some 231. I was getting the load from a Lee manual. The book showed a MINIMUM OAL of 1.19(I think) but no max. I seated the bullets to the edge of where it turns in for the pointy end. I can't remember the measurement but it was a lot longer than the minimum listed.  I didn't know whether to set them this deep or stop in the flat area right above the grease ring. Ya'll got any ideas or recommendations? It's not hard to figure where to crimp my 45Colt stuff but these have me stymied. I'm loading them for the ACP cylinder for my Flattop Ruger SA.

Thanks
HWD

Offline woods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: O.A.L.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »
     Your load data is for an 45 auto to make it fit the magazine and function in the load ramp properly. Since your loading them in a single action just check fit in your cylinder use the crimp groove on the bullet if it has one. Sounds like you seated them properly if its seated to the edge of the wad cutter.

woods

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:34:43 PM »
It really doesn't matter in a revolver, as long as they don't stick out the front. Buy a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and compare your bullet with the ones they show data for, and use the OAL they specify.

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:22:13 AM »
Thanks guys. I knew these are headspaced off of the front of the case and I tried dropping them into the cylinder to make sure they weren't sticking out. I then put the cylinder back into the gun and loaded a few in it to see if the cylinder was gonna turn correctly. Everything seems to be working so I'll take then to the range on Monday to see how they shoot.
Thanks again
HWD

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:58:20 AM »
To answer your question, my Lyman manual specifies a max O.A.L. of 1.275 for the 45ACp.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor