Author Topic: Age of old Weaver?  (Read 520 times)

Offline MICHIMAN65

• Trade Count: (5)
Age of old Weaver?
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:53:08 PM »
 A friend gave me an old Weaver k-2.5. Though the mounts are much newer, the scope looks like one I saw in a 1949 advertisement. I'm tempted to mount it on a new Henry .22, but part of me doesn't want to damage it. There are no dents, dings or even scratches, but some light rust on the bottom of the tube. Is there any way to find out the manufacture date? Would I be stupid to have the rust polished off? The bluing is in surprisingly good condition. Any help is appreciated, Michiman.

Offline qualityscoperepair

• www.qualityscoperepair.com
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Quality Scope Repair
Re: Age of old Weaver?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:51:36 AM »
Hello,
The K2.5 was manufactured from 1947-1984.  The early models had click type windage and elevation adjustments.  In 1973 the ckick type adjustments were replaced with the non-click friction type adjustments.

So if you have the click type adjustments your K2.5 was made before 1973 and if it does not have click adjustments it was made after.
I hope this helps.

Regarding the rust you can try some 3 in 1 oil and rub the rusty area with a cloth.  If that does not remove the rust try some fine steel wool.  The good thing about the old Weaver scopes at they are all steel and the blue is easily touched up with bluing pens or bluing kits you can get at most any place that sells shooting supplies.

JB
Jonathan "JB" Brown
Quality Scope Repair
www.qualityscoperepair.com
jbrown40004@hotmail.com
Industrial Environmental Consultant
KY Licensed Home Inspector

Offline MICHIMAN65

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »
 Thanks for the feedback,Michiman.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 03:38:11 AM »
A little off topic - but I purchased a K-4 in 1967 to mount on a Rem 742.  I accidentally dropped the rifle off my shoulder and it landed on a concrete culvert and bent the bell of the objective end.  The scope still held its accuracy.  Also dropped it from mid way up a pine tree without a problem.