Author Topic: TC Omega Dream Season questions  (Read 1285 times)

Offline oberhaz

• Trade Count: (0)
TC Omega Dream Season questions
« on: December 31, 2011, 04:30:13 AM »
I just bought one of these off gunbroker, it's new. In fact, it's my first muzzleloader.

For those of you who have an Omega, do you have any suggestions with regards to powder, ammo, or anything else to get me started.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Jim_Ole_Timer

Re: TC Omega Dream Season questions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 05:59:03 AM »
Most of the veteran muzzleloaders use Blackhorn 209. It is considered the premium powder, even boasts more power and higher velocity, but the big thing is that its so much cleaner. You can fire upto 20 shots without ever passing a cleaning rid through it, which also means less corrosion, or nore.

As far as bullets the more experienced hunters use Barnes 250 grn TMZ, expensive but will mushroom and kill at most any velocity, which means extended shots will kill.

They also use CCI magnum primers. This is highly recommended for Blackhorn 209. I use them also even though I am still shooting Pyrodex powder, at least till its goe, got 5 lbs left.

If you haven't gotten a scope yet then I and many others highly recommend the Nikon 3x9-40 BDC. Its an excellant scope, possibly the best, and ultra clear. It has the bullet drop compensating reticle, which helps for longer shots.

Good luck, I love my Omega. Oh, one more thing. If you fell the Barnes bullets are too expensive, then try Hornaday HPXTP 300 grn. They are also considered a premium muzzleloader bullet although much less expensive. Use Harvestor crush rib sabbots and will load decently, but maybe with some effort, which you can expect with a Thompson as they have a premium tight bore.   :)

by the way, most of the guys here are CVA fans.
Protect our constitution, all of it. Our kids future depends on it. And please teach them Conservatism.

Offline oberhaz

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »
Thanks Jim, I'll take all the help I can get.

I went with the TC because it's made locally and comes with a good warranty. Plus I have good reports about them.

Got nothing against the other brands. What's important to some may not be to others.

Thanks for the advice.

Jim

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 03:04:57 AM »
Jim gave you some good advice.

I would not recommend starting with anything other than Blackhorn 209 unless your state has a black powder only hunting restriction.  It likes energetic primers so if the CCI 209M is not available try Winchester W209 or Federal 209A primers.  Here's a good article on BH 209  http://www.chuckhawks.com/most_blackhorn_209.htm

Aside from Harvester Muzzleloading's crushed rib sabots two other sabots designed for tight bore guns like the TCs.  They are the Magnum Muzzleloading Products 3-petal EZ Sabot and HPH-24 which is .002" thinner than a standard .50 sabot.  Since the TC bore runs .004 to .005" tighter than most others they can be a good choice.   You can order them directly from the manufacturer at mmpsabot.com or from any of a number of online retailers.

The Barnes MZ Expander line up is very much at the top performance level of muzzleloading bullets.  They routinely expand to 2x diameter, retain almost all their weight and once you find the load your rifle likes they a very consistent in terms of accuracy.  the tipped bullets shoot a little flatter at longer ranges.

I also use the 275 grain Barnes XPB pistol bullet and the Barnes Original 300 grain semi-spitzer bullet.  Both are great long range bullets that hang in at 2" or so at 200 yards.

If you use the Hornady XTP bullets (also a great performer and quite accurate) my experience has been that the non-magnum ones tend to shoot tighter groups.  The 250 grain ones shoot better than the 240 grain magnums with their thicker jackets etc.  It is a lot less expensive to buy these in bulk than it is to buy them with sabots you will often throw away anyway.

While my rifle wears a Sightron SII Big Sky 3-8x42 scope I'd be fine with a 1.5-6 or 2-7 scope.  I'd advise letting the terrain you most commonly hunt help in the decision.  For woods hunting I'd lean to the lower power end and for open country shooting I'd maybe go higher.  Let's face it, a 4 power scope has the same sight picture at 300 yards as iron sights do a 75 yards.  I don't think we need anywhere near as much scope as many of us use and the higher magnification comes at the cost of field of view.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the journey.

Lance

Offline oberhaz

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 03:01:42 PM »
Thanks, you guy are great! Very helpful. As far as scopes go I'm fine with the lower power ones. I have a Marlin guide gun with a 1-4 Leupold that's plenty scope where I hunt (Maine).

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »
I have a TC Omega, with a Nikon Pro Staff 2x7 scope on mine.  I use either the TC 240Gr Cheap Shots w/black sabot (which actually are made by Hornady) or the Hornady 240Gr XTP bullets w/the Hornady black sabots.  Both bullets shoot to almost the same POI, and both work well in hunting situations.

I have found that two 50 grain Triple 7 pellets work very well.  There is really no need for three pellets, unless you want to beat yourself up, and use more powder than necessary.  If you want to use BH209 start with around 80gr (by volume not weight), and work up.  I found out that in a hunting situation, the pellets work a lot better, than loose powder. 

Contrary to what people say, using BH209 does lead to problems, it is harder to ignite, and most importantly it can cause your gun to rust.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 07:30:51 PM »
BTW I bought the TC Omega for the same reasons you did, especially the facts that the gun is American made and has a lifetime warranty. 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline MLN1963

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 11:25:53 AM »
I just got a TC Omega Dream Season for Christmas. I can't wait to get out there and do some shooting. My learning curve is headed straight up! First lesson learned? ML are very expensive to shoot compared to my center fires!
TC Omega Dream Season
CVA Optima
CVA Electra

Offline ronlaughlin

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:27:59 AM »
A load that works in my Dream Season is a 300g Deep Curl, 110g BH209, crush rib sabot, and W209 primer.  Less powder may be more accurate.