Author Topic: Old bronze hand cannon  (Read 686 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Old bronze hand cannon
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:09:57 AM »
I wasn't sure if this topic was appropriate here but not long ago I saw something about a proposed handgonne or hand cannon contest-I hope it was on this board and not one of the others I visit.

Anyway I've been researching a particular bronze handgonne aka hackbut aka arquebus for years and finally made some progress lately.  I put the findings in the form of an illustrated presentation which has yet to be delivered in person, but I'll link it here in case anyone is interested.

The one issue remaining to be resolved is what the large, engraved initials "J U R" mean. They were put on sometime after manufacture as they don't fit neatly in the design layout of the original decoration, and if the maker had wanted those initials on it he would have put them on the casting pattern and left more space for them.  My best guess is that it is a proper name for the gun itself, naming it after its initial owner whose title by education was "Dr. Jur."  In Germany and Austria that's the title for a Doctor of Laws.

But who knows, it could have some other meaning.  The initials may look like "IVR" but trust me, Ive checked with many experts in various fields who know stuff from that era and region who all say the letters must be read as "J U R."

The powerpoint presentation ia about 14 Mb download.

http://springfieldarsenal.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/an-early-bronze-hackbutt-r7-1229112.ppt

Offline jamesfrom180

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Old bronze hand cannon
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:41:54 AM »
I have been to the Zeughaus in Graz, Austria.  I think I remember a similar piece housed their.  Now I am wishing I had more time to marvel at the arms.  Few cannon obviously got my attention. 
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 07:12:14 AM »
Cannonmn, is there any other way to view this, for some reason, my computer won't accept it...thanks...
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:38:07 AM »
I think a power point program is need to open it.  Works fine for me.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »
Power Point will display it.  If you don't have PP, Open Office will open it and that is free.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill