Author Topic: Need some help, please.  (Read 565 times)

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Need some help, please.
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:53:16 AM »
 I have a slight leading problem I need some help with.
 The gun is a Handi in .45-70 that I bought in August.
 I'm using Missouri Cast bullets, 405 gr sized at .459" with a hardness of 18. My powder charges are 25 and 30 gr of AA5744 and according to Accurate my velocity should be around 1300 FPS, give or take. I'm using shortened LeverEvolution brass.
 The gun has less than 100 rounds through it, but when I got it I used J-B bore cleaning compound on it to clean the bore a little bit, approximately 25 back and forth passes. I have not slugged the bore.
 My leading is located in the very beginning of the barrel, right out of the chamber and extends maybe an inch or so into the bore then stops. There is no leading mid bore or near the muzzle, so I don't think it's a problem with bullet size or lube quality.
 Is it possible the shortened brass is the culprit? Cartridge OAL is 2.44, spec is 2.55 according to Lyman. Perhaps the shorter case is allowing the flame front to surround the bullet just before it enters the barrel, kind of like excessive cylinder gap in a revolver?
Whaddaya guys think?
GH1 :)

I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Re: Need some help, please.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »
Sounds like the bullets are too hard for the load you're using
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:15:21 PM »
GH1

Check your PM's  ;)

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline woods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »
     Something else to consider is breakin period with a new rifle,usually new rifle = rough spots in rifleing this will show up usually with cast bullets in the first 1" or so.

woods

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:42:54 AM »
Stimpy,
Got your pm
woods,
Stimpy mentioned that also.
Flash,
Based on what I've read on the subject, too hard of a bullet will result in lead streaks following the rifling the length of the bore. Have you had a different experience?
Thanks for all the input everyone, I'm sure one of us has the answer, I'll keep you posted on what shakes out.

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 10:23:13 AM »
That is very common leading with commercial bullets and the hard wax lubes most use.  I've found that tumbling the bullets in Lee's liquid alox as per the directions will many times cure the problem.  Suggest you try that 1st.
I've also washed off (soak the bullets in Coleman fuel for 30-45 minutes) such lube on thousands of commercial bullets and relubed them with Javelina.  I've also ordered thousands of commercial cast bullets sans the lube and then size and lube them myself.  Not had any leading problems with any commercial relubed bullets with Javelina lube.

Larry Gibson

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 12:25:57 AM »
if your leading is just in the beginning of the barrel its usualy not a lube or alloy problem. Id guess your bullets are starting straight into the bore. The shorter brass might be the problem. Try seating your bullets out father. Also use the slowest burning non ball powder that will give you the velocitys you need. Something like 4198 or re7 will work. Ive got no experience with 5744 so i cant coment there. You need something that gets the bullet underway as gently as possible and peaks in pressure about a 1/3 to 1/2 way down the barrel. Another thing to try is just switch primers. Believe it or not ive seen barrels that lead clear right up with just a change in powder or primer at the same pressure levels. Bottom line though is if your getting good accuracy and the leading does get worse as you shoot i wouldnt even worry about it.
blue lives matter

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 12:28:08 PM »
I've got a few pieces of standard length brass, maybe I'll try those out.
Thanks again for the tips everone.