Author Topic: Rolling your own paper quills  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Rolling your own paper quills
« on: March 21, 2005, 05:05:43 PM »
I haven't been able to find any of the 4mm unwaxed paper straws in quantities less than 1800 or for a price under $25.00 plus shipping.  So.... did some experimenting and have come up with a design that seems to work pretty well.

I'm starting with the 3" x 3" sticky Post-It note pads.  For my particular use I want to end up with a paper quill 5/32" diameter by 2 1/2" long.  So I cut the pad to 2" x 2 1/2", the sticky strip running along the longer edge.  Pour a small amount of FFFFg out on a piece of paper and press the sticky strip into it until completely coated.  Coat the other end of the paper with a glue stick and then roll the paper around a 3/32" brass rod with the powder coated area being on the inside.  When the brass rod is withdrawn, I end up with a fairly stiff powder lined straw just right to fit down an 11/32" vent.

In use, a 5/32" brass gimlet is used to prick the foil wrapped powder charge and the paper quill is inserted full depth through the vent.  A small amount of FFFFg is then poured over the top of the vent.  When touched with a linstock it goes off as quick as a firecracker.... haven't had a single misfire yet.

Extremely inexpensive to make and appear to be very reliable.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline CAV Trooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 05:43:07 PM »
Interestingly enough, paper quills work on the same principal as, and are  almost identical to, the quick match that's used in the fireworks industry. Here's a description of quick match:

Quick match is a special type of fuse that can burn at up to 100 feet per second. Quick match is simply black match fuse that has been covered with a loose-fitting paper tube (known as pipe). When regular (black match) fuse burns, the hot gas produced by the flame is simply released into the air. When the fuse is put in a paper tube, however, the hot gases can not escape, so they simply shoot along the length of tube at incredible speeds.

Black match fuse is nothing more than cotton string that's been coated with 4Fg black powder. By itself, it burns at about 1 foot per second.
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 02:38:20 AM »
If quick match does indeed burn at around 100 feet per second, that would mean that my 2 1/2" piece goes in approximately 1/480 of a second !!!!  Yup, sounds pretty darned fast to me.
Evil Dog

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 02:26:02 PM »
At 100 feet per second you better make sure you want it lit when you light it. That would be hard to stomp out! :lol:
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 09:03:52 AM »
Check out this bulletin posted over at Cannon Mania:

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety CommissionÂ’s (“CPSC”) has taken action against a U.S. based fireworks materials supplier. If they are successful the entire industry may change because of regulations on selling supplies.  

Safety fuse (i.e. cannon fuse) would be included.  Proposed would be a limit of 25 feet of fuse per year to a individual (non licensed).  The seller would be required to maintain detailed sales records.

A troubling development. It's a good thing we have a lot of options lighting off a cannon or mortar.

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 02:11:45 PM »
Where do these morons come from and how do they get into positions of "authority"? Absolutely HAS to be a bunch of flaming liberal Klinton appointees.

Somebody please explain to me how allowing a person to buy only 25' of 3/32" safety fuse a year is going to make the world a safer place to live in?

The stuff lasts forever so I guess it's time to stock up just in case.

http://www.cannonfuse.com/
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 02:30:07 PM »
The  key word here is PROPOSED.

The  key responsibility for each of us is clear - talk to our congressmen.

Freedom isn't free.  It is tied directly to responsibility.  Some folks think that limiting easy access will limit irresponsible behavior - I don't see it.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 04:36:25 AM »
Got a chance to actually try them over the weekend and discovered one rather important thing.  Instead of mounding some FFFFg on top, split the end of the quill and lay flat.  Trying to mound FFFFg would often fill the hollow quill resulting just another type of fuse.... rather resembled a roman candle before the big boom.  Splitting the end of the quill and laying it flat worked real well though.... big boom just as soon as the linstock touched.
Evil Dog

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 09:57:34 AM »
Well, after a bunch of tries I FINALLY got some of the Post-It quills to come out to my satisfaction.

Getting the paper rolled tight enough to fit down the vent takes practice.

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 12:27:11 PM »
Hey Terry.... one thing that may help is trying different brand of Post-It Notes.  The ones from 3M seem to be on a heavier paper and don't roll nearly as well as those from Highland (a much thinner paper).  Also, roll them around some sort of mandrel (like a piece of brass wore)... it makes it a whole lot easier.

Got a chance to go out and play a while today.... half of the shots with fuse and the other with the Post-It Note quills.  Man, those things are fast !!!

Evil Dog

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 01:50:24 PM »
I'm using the Post-It brand "Super Sticky" notes.

These are actually thinner than some no-name notes that my wife had, I tried them first and they were way too stiff to roll.

I'm rolling them around one of the little plastic tubes that fits in a spray can nozzle, it measures 3/32" in diameter. I don't have any brass rod small enough, but I'll be getting some assorted welding supplies soon and I'll try to snag a 3/32" brazing rod.

Also, I reduced the width of the note from 2" to about 1ÂĽ", gives fewer wraps. At 2" they were too tight in my vent. A thinner paper would help here.

But the ones I finally wound up with worked great, they are easy to light  and FAST!!!

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 04:09:44 PM »
Of course one other consideration is the diameter of the vent.  The one on my half scale Napoleon is 11/64" so I keep my quills between 1/8" and 5/32".   Before inserting the quill in the vent I will split the end of it with a pair of diagonal cutting pliers and then lay the end of the quill open... kinda makes a flange to keep it from going completely down the vent.  Splitting the end that way also exposes some of the FFFFg.  I also carry a small priming flask to add a small mound of FFFFg close to the quill.... just to make sure things light up right away.
Evil Dog

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Re: Rolling your own paper quills
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 10:11:31 AM »
Wonder how ciggarette papaers would work ? Used to roll my own 40 years ago .
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 12:17:58 PM »
I suppose they would work, I just find that the Post-It notes work the best for me.  Yes, I used to roll my own years back too... if you can remember the 60's you weren't there.
Evil Dog

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »
Actually it was the early 50's and Bull Durham was the filler . Graduated to "Prince Albert " 
The Border people never gave me problems with papers and can on dash , some people had problems and were charged with possession of Paraphernalia  .
Guess the Good ole boys with hats and boots with crap didn't fit the profile.   ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline brass cannon

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 06:20:28 PM »
If there are still those interested in making quills,  a stirring straw from many places serving coffee, starbucks, 7/11, jack in the box, works well.  They are plastic, about 1/8" in dia. and 4 to 6 inches in length.   Use a piece of wire about 8 inches long for a needle to thread the straws.  Get  1/4" paper masking tape from an automotive paint supplier.  Pull off several feet of the tape.  Fasten one end of the tape to the wire needle.  Coat the tape with 4F powder and thread the stirring straws onto the tape with a gap of about 1/2 between the staws.  Cut them apart and you have a bunch of quills in only a few minutes for next to nothing.  leave the 1/2" end sticking out of the gun for the linstock to light.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 02:52:47 AM »
Making Quills, I also use plastic stirrers about 1/8" diameter.  Coffee shops around here however have stopped the hollow stirrers for a I beam shape.  I suppose the druggies can not use the new shape...  but the grocery stores sell big packs of the hollow stirrers cheap. 
I cut to length with a angle point, dip a pipe cleaner in rubber cement & run through the stirrer.  I use a plastic pour spout on the 4F can...  with the tip cut so the stirrer just goes in.  Tip the can & run 4F through the stirrer (into a catch container).  Right the can, there will be a blog of glue on the stirrer end where the pipe cleaner entered...  roll the blob in the caught 4F.  Check that the center of the fresh quill is open end to end.  Open if necessary with a short wire (bent paper clip).  Set aside to dry in a drilled block.

The fire flashes through the open straw instantly...  I've never had a quill fail to fire the charge.  These are quick & easy to make.  Now if I could just perfect my slow match...
I was given some larger quills by my friends in Battery B, with scotch tape through, but the straws are larger diameter and I do not care to enlarge my tough hole. 

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »
Flagman,  That's a great easy formula for quills.  I've been using the fast fuse from cannonfuse.com.  It's just a blink away from instantaneous but you gotta buy it and it doesn't look like a quill.

I use half inch rope (pure hemp) soaked in potassium nitrate (Dexol stump remover from Menards) for slowmatch.  It burns super slow and never ever goes out.  It always has a perfect pointed red ember on the end which will not fall off.  I tried many different ropes and pure cotton, and the hemp is by far the best.  Probably more important than the percentage of Potassium nitrate to water.  I think I use about a big cap full per cup of water and let it soak over night then dry.  The only problem is that I can't find this rope anywhere.  The stuff I use is old and I don't know where it came from.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 03:01:56 AM »
I had run some experimental batches of slow match several years ago...  included some mongerel hemp/manilla.  Having worked in the marine trades, I have quite a bit of rope around.  Hemp used to be standard & if it can be found at all is likely the similar Manila which is not exactly the same as true Hemp. 
I bought some high grade Potasium Nitrate recently to work with.
I have been washing ropes before soaking to remove all sizing.  I read but have yet to try, wetting the rope in water before soaking.  I have also read that the strands must be spread out horrizontal as verticle suspensions result is uneven chemical because it tends to migrate & drip off (gravity).   I used a wire mesh to keep the samples submerged in the solutions.       

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »
I was prepared to do a lot of work to get it to burn right, but it just happened that this stuff that I had was perfect.  I couldn't ask for a better burn.  Flagman, if you send me your address in a pm I'll send you a piece and you can check it out.  I don't think all the extra soaking, washing, high grade P nitrate, etc, is necessary.  I think you just gotta find this rope. It's perfect.  I just stick it in overnight, leave it outside or on the radiator in the winter, and its done.  Never goes out, perfect pointed ember, burns really slow, no smoke.