Author Topic: choate stock and shooting rests  (Read 863 times)

Offline tinbird

• Trade Count: (0)
choate stock and shooting rests
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »
So guys, you were awesome when I was questioning barrel cleaning needs, I'm wondering if I can get input on two more questions.

my fluted barrel 204 has the synthetic choate stock with the sliding bar in the forearm. My thinking is this is more of a 'gadget' as it will provide different pressure points to the fore stock and therefore not likely provide the best platform for shooting off a bipod.
So, my first question is, for those of you with a similar stock or have had the opportunity  to shoot, what's your input, a good thing to use, or better to disregard?

Also, what setup are you guys using for shooting rests, particularly when working up loads? Sand bags, bipods, shooting rests, just wondering as the wide fore stock isn't secure with my shooter's ridge rest

again, thankyou in advance for your help

TB

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: choate stock and shooting rests
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:11:06 AM »
Good morning,
 By and large bi-pods cause more bad groups than good. BUT you try it and see what your results are.

What we know is best groups come form a good stable bench with good sand bags. The main rest being under the receiver nearest the hinge. With nothing touching the barrel. But an additional bag under the butt can help.

A couple of the guys have lead sleds self included but I have not cared for the groups I fired off it. At least not with my handis, its nice for my bolts! It makes working up loads for big guns a breeze!

CW

BTW, this stuff is in the FAQ's!!  ::)
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:44:21 AM »
i just acquired a 204 that has that stock, and am trying to find that adapter, i am thinking of putting a bipod on mine of the sitting varity for coyote hunting here in NM , where i hunt it is almost flat with a lot of sagebrush, i walk quite aways, so benches and sandbags are out, thinking the bipod would give me somewhat of a steady rest for the 200 tp 300 yard shots that are common, what are your thoughts.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29:41 AM »
My mistake, I was responding to range shooting with the bags.. :-[ :-[ :-[

Yes the bi pod is about the only show in town for the field... that or a good leather military sling and your knees...  ::) ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 01:30:46 AM »
The ATI fore ends do not look good to me.
...but! The fore end mount is more positive than the Coate or the H&R,
........and, there are accessory holes the full length of the fore end.

I pulled the sling stud out and re installed it at the second hole from the back and mounted a bipod there.
I should have a range report next week.

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:59:26 AM »
That's exactly where I put mine on my 223.Perfect for leaning against a tree for cover.Groups are still in the 1/2 to 3/4 in size with Winchester white box rounds.Dave

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 03:53:40 AM »
Glad to hear that it shoots that way.
What kind of fore end is that?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 04:28:01 AM »
Glad to hear that it shoots that way.
What kind of fore end is that?
The one on Slowhand's looks to me like a Survivor forend.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 04:42:43 AM »
... my fluted barrel 204 has the synthetic choate stock with the sliding bar in the forearm. My thinking is this is more of a 'gadget' as it will provide different pressure points to the fore stock and therefore not likely provide the best platform for shooting off a bipod.
So, my first question is, for those of you with a similar stock or have had the opportunity  to shoot, what's your input, a good thing to use, or better to disregard?

Also, what setup are you guys using for shooting rests, particularly when working up loads? Sand bags, bipods, shooting rests, just wondering as the wide fore stock isn't secure with my shooter's ridge rest ...
TB
...  By and large bi-pods cause more bad groups than good. BUT you try it and see what your results are.

What we know is best groups come form a good stable bench with good sand bags. The main rest being under the receiver nearest the hinge. With nothing touching the barrel. But an additional bag under the butt can help. ...

CW

My mistake, I was responding to range shooting with the bags.. :-[ :-[ :-[

Yes the bi pod is about the only show in town for the field... that or a good leather military sling and your knees...  ::) ;)

CW
CW - No mistake, tin bird was also asking about bench shooting and working up loads.

tinbird - I'm with CW on this, I use a Hoppe's shooting rest, and a bunny bag for the rear when sighting in and working up loads.  The bi-pod is good for the field, not IMO for working up loads on the bench.  Have you considered a mono-pod for the field?  It's lighter, and adjustable for different heights.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline JRSherbundy

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 06:55:45 AM »
Way back when I was a kid, I would go squirrel hunting with my dad.  His idea of hunting was to find a fallen tree, set down and wait for the squirrels to come back.  He could shoot from the sitting postion, but I found I needed a shooting rest.  Dad to the rescue.  He found two tree branches, about 36" long and tied them into an "X" shape about 6" down from the top.  The next time we made the same thing from two pieces of 3/4" square wood with a bolt at the "X" and a finishing nail into the bottom of each leg.  The nails would keep the thing from scooting around if the ground was too hard.  Stick length and pivot point really depend upon your sitting position and your height.  Just so everyone knows, I have seen this trick in many places and I am not claiming ownership, but Dad was really good at seeing a need and building an answer.

Offline tinbird

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 10:16:31 AM »
thanx again for the quick responses guys!

CW, no offense taken, I read through the FAQs prior to posting, and I have to apologize as it is my poor wording of the question regarding rests for working up the loads (hadn't gone to bed yet).

I was thinking that, due to the nature of the ultra varmint fluted barrel stock, there may be a unique/diy/specific call it what you will style of rest the guys are using that is different to a conventional stock.

looks like I will be procuring a front rest and bags in the very near future  :)

JR, thanks I have made up a set of shooting sticks for the field, I used a garden stake from home depot cut in half, two O-rings and a compression fitting to join the two pieces. It's green plastic over a thin wall tube, it's quite light and seems firm enough. just have to try it now.

all the best

TB