Author Topic: Sightron? Simmons? Decent rimfire scopes at low price?  (Read 757 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Sightron? Simmons? Decent rimfire scopes at low price?
« on: January 30, 2004, 04:47:21 AM »
Looking at rimfire scopes, thinking of staying below $200 if possible and I see the Sightron S1 rimfire 3x9 and the Simmons 22 mag 3x9 AO at a little over $100. Any good? Any better than the cheaper Bushnell scopes, like their Sportsman 3x9 AO?  I can accept optics that aren't Leopold quality if the scope will just hold settings and provide a decent sight picture. If there isn't such an animal, I'll have to aim higher in price.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Sightron? Simmons? Decent rimfire scopes at
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 06:03:30 AM »
Stay away from Simmons like the plague.

I have reviewed the entire product line of Bushnell scopes and compared them to each other and other brands. I'd not hesitate to use any of their lower priced line scopes on rimfires. In fact I've replaced the Weaver rimfire scope on my wife's rifle with a Bushnell Rimfire scope.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 02:06:14 PM »
There are several quality scopes suitable for use on rimfires less than $200.00.
1. Bushnell Banner 4-12X40AO ~$90.00
2. Bushnell Trophy 4-12X40AO ~$150-160.00
3. Swift 4-12X40AO ~$120-130.00
4. Weaver Classic Rimfire 2.5-7X28 ~$120.00

I have a LOT of experience with the above scopes.  Either would be fine on a 22LR.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 04:14:04 AM »
The lowest I'd go down the Bushnell line, regardless whether it's for rimfire or centerfire, is the Bushnell Trophy.

If you can spend just a little bit more, but get much more in return, invest in an Elite 3200.  Don't get me wrong, I always recommend the 4200 over the 3200, but I am trying to stay within your budget parameters.

Zachary

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 05:04:55 AM »
I've bought one Simmons scope and it resides in a landfill. I wouldn't hit a north bound dog in the south end with one. There are good scopes for .22s but IMHO none wear the Simmons name. Weaver makes decent scopes. Bushnell scopes aren't a bad buy for a .22 either.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline SBF

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.members.cox.net/cruffler
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 09:58:10 AM »
I have three Simmons scopes, 2 of the 44 MAG series 6.5-20x44mm and 1 Blazer Series 8-24(?)x44mm.  I have found that they work well for me.  The two 44Mags reside on my 17VS and my modified 10/22 and have no problem with either.  Both hold there zero and have decent click adjustments on the target turrets.   With the adj obj I can focus close if I'm shooting at 25 yards, which is nice IMO.  The optics are pretty clear, not Leupold or Ziess but acceptable.  The Blazer is decent on my 883SS .22 Mag.  Not quite as good as the 44Mag series but acceptable for the price.
For the money I think they are pretty good.

Just another opinion....
SmallBoreFreak and Cruffler

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2004, 02:36:45 PM »
SBF, I bought a Simmons .22 mag scope. That could be the difference. I had a 3x9 that you couldn't focus.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline SBF

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.members.cox.net/cruffler
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2004, 03:56:05 PM »
I have heard (and experienced) that the 44 MAg series are pretty good.  The rest of the line seems to leave something to be desired, esp. the dedicated 22 scopes.  The Simmons 44 Mag series were recommended to me from a friend who is knowledgeable.  He did mention that the other Simmons aren't so good.  As I mentioned I also have a scope from the Blazer line.  It's decent but you can tell it's not quite as good as the 44 Mag series scopes.
SmallBoreFreak and Cruffler

Offline coyote 2

• Avid Poster
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/schwager/
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004, 05:19:52 PM »
Have to add my .02 cents worth here. The Mag 44 is a good scope. At least on my 10/22. Not sure how they would work on a more powerful weapon. The rest of my scopes are Weaver. Looking for a 36 X it will either be a Sightron or a Weaver. Sightron scopes are good too. In researching the 36 power it was very high on the list of good scopes. So I would suspect one for a 22 would work well......that would be my choice in place of the Simmons.
Don't cry because its over - Smile because it happened!