Author Topic: Snub nose long range shooting  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Woodsman1

• Trade Count: (0)
Snub nose long range shooting
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:15:57 AM »
I was just wondering, at what distances do you like shooting your snub nose guns at ? Sometimes I like taking shots out to 40 or so yards, with my 2 1/2 barrel 686. I can usually keep them in a paper plate at that range, when resting my hand on something. Whats your long range shooting like ? I do it just for fun ! 
I do it better outdoors !

Offline guzzijohn

Re: Snub nose long range shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 08:06:36 AM »
I have a S&W snubbie with just under 2" barrel. I have learned to shoot better with it than I would ever thought. That being said I would say that 25 yards would be very long range  for me. That is probably the furthest I could put five shots into a paper plate with consistency. 50' is about the furthest I can put four out five into a 4"x6" target.
GuzziJohn

Offline Woodsman1

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:33:34 AM »
I just figured id try it at that range, in case im out in the woods, and a paper plate sneaks up on me. Good to know I might survive the encounter ! ;D
I do it better outdoors !

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »
I think you are really stretching it at anything beyond 25 yards.  Most people have a problem keeping 5 out of 5 on a paper plat at 25 yards much less beyond that. I imagine there are folks that can keep 5 out of 5 on the plate at 50 yards but they are few and far between. :o :o :o

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:23:16 AM »
Rockbilly:  for most people I would agree with your statement but most all the short barrelled snubbies I have shot and played with have demonstrated accuracy potentials far beyond 25 yds.  I have found, as have a buncha old guys I shoot with who are all the same age (mine and older) that the basics of sight picture, alignment, breathing and trigger control apply to all length handgun barrels, not just the longer ones.

Most of us (my particular group of old guys) agree that the sights on the S&W snubbies are regulated to 25m.  My 2" (actually 1 &7/8s) snubbies and a 3" Ladysmith I play with all group, and I mean group, at 25m with standard pressure loadings, to point of aim.  Where the fun comes in is trying to hit further out and with steel plates it is a hoot.  Get a couple of 12" round, or square (your preference) steel plates and set them up at 25m.. When you have had enough dongin' the gong with wadcutter target loads, move the plate back to 50m and get serious with standard pressure 158 gn slugs.  When you get tired of being successful at 50, move it further back and keep going until you run of out front sight, that's when you have elevated your barrel to where you can no longer see the target over your front sight.  If you like the challenge then pick a aiming spot somewhere above the target and ring in the holidays the right way (lolol). 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:22:30 AM »
I have two snubies that will shoot better then some rifles. (We a good shooter)

First is my Ruger Speed Six 357Mag. 4" at 100 off a bench with Win 145G Silver Tips. I can hit a clay Piegon everytime lying on the 100Yard berm.
the second one is a S&W 638 38SPL. This one will do 6" at 100 Yards off a bench.

Now you should know that I'm a bit better then the average pistol shot. I have shot Bullseye for over 20 years and carried a Master classification for more then ten of those.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »
Site radius is the deal killer not barrel length.  Clamp your average snuby in a Ransom rest and it will shoot groups right along side your average 6", 8", 10",  you name it.  Put a set of laser grips on your snuby and really have some fun.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »
Only snubby in our house is my wife's Pink Lady.  Good little shooter though and I can keep them in a 6" dirty bird at 25-30 yards.  Did a fast shoot group about 8" at that range double action too.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Gene R

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 01:49:57 AM »
The closest thing to a snubby is my S&W m-60's with a 3". But as wity all my handguns, I will shoot at all targets of opportunity out to 200 yrds or so. Miss more than I hit at those ranges, but its a blast.

As for live game, I keep all my shots under 60 yards..

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 02:24:03 AM »
that the basics of sight picture, alignment, breathing and trigger control apply to all length handgun barrels, not just the longer ones.

Agreed but I dont know if my little birds head with the 3-7/8" bbl really qualifies as a snubby. It is fun on the plates at 50 yds to 60 yds.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 03:17:43 AM »
I once had a S&W mod 66 that was very accurate. Steel chickens at 50 yards were more hits than misses and at 25 yards were a sure thing. It had an incredable trigger . I had a Mod 38 airweight that also was good to 25 yards but the DAO J frame I have now - NOPE !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 06:01:11 AM »
Believe it or not consistent hits on a 12" steel plate at 100 yds is not that hard to do once you figure out where to hold. With a little practice it becomes routine, meaning more hits than misses.

Offline Badge54

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 09:00:47 AM »
There was a video on youtube of a "Snubby Summit" at one time.  Some of the most influential instructors got together to compare note over a weekend.   The guy from Crimson trace said they had a Snubby outfitted with a laser and when held at 12:00 on a steel plate hits at 50 yards it became mundane. 

I have plinked at the 50 yard berm with my 340pd and am confident that I can scare the hell out of someone at that range if I had to.  The J-frame is inherently accurate.  We just aren't so inherent ourselves.

Badge54

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
Many years ago when my eyes were good and my hands a lot steadier a couple of friends and I, an  FBI pilot/agent and the armorrer for a local PD, went to the local police range to do a little shooting.  At one point I had gotten bored while waiting for my turn at shooting an M16 the armorrer had brought for us to try out so I started shooting the heads off of stocks of tall grass about 30 feet in front of the bench we were sitting at with my J-frame .38. 

My Fed. buddy asked me what I was shooting at so I told him.  At first he thought I was pulling his leg so I refilled the cylinder and said "watch". Then proceeded to buzz the heads off a couple more stocks and "scare" three more with near misses.  He sputtered something like "Dang!... If I'm ever in a gun fight I want you on my team!".  To which I replied; "Yeah, well, the grass isn't shooting back at me either." and we both laughed.       
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 12:44:28 AM »
I have had snub nose revolvers that would shoot well at 25 and 50 yards and others that would not group much better than 4 inches at 25 yards and not keep them all on the paper at 50.  It had nothing to do with the make or model either as I had essentially identical pistols that were dramatically different as to performance.  The snub nose I currently own is a model 85 Taurus 38.  It is zeroed for 25 yards shooting standard 158 gr lead bullets at standard velocity.  With those rounds or comparable reloads I can and have put 5 rounds into the 10 ring of a 25 yard pistol target at 25 yards.  Shooting a hand load that is a little higher velocity results in it shooting 2 inches left and lower in the target and I can not shoot better than 3 to 4 inch groups with that load.  So it depends on what your gun likes as far as how accurate it is.

Offline patrick_sween

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 02:46:15 PM »

Not sure if it meets the definition of snubby, but I've shot my Kel-Tec P11 out to 175 yds. on a steel man silhouette with usually 4-6 hits per 10 rd mag once I figured out the drop.  Like has been said before, once you figure out the sight picture it's not too difficult.  A 115 gn. FMJ has surprisingly little drop at that range (held right at the top of the head for center mass hits).  I usually keep that gun to 50' and under, but the target was out there and I had ammo, so why not.

Patrick

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 08:16:36 PM »
Bob Munden -- Impossible 200 Yard Shot 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tied-t1fFsk&feature=related

Balloon at 200yds at the end of this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HzCnymSugQ&feature=related

" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 03:09:04 AM »
My thoughts and problems with this.
I have no doubt that some can gain this skill by practice.
I can't shoot a snubby long enough to get use to the harsh recoil--therefore--I can't learn this skill--not that I ever had the skill to begin with.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 04:23:56 AM »
I was on a ridge overlooking Boysen Resevoir last fall. The lake was flat calm and nobody was around. There was a spot on the water maybe 600 or 800 yards out.I had my S&W 32 long, so I got into a sitting position and shot a cylinder full. Couldn't make the bullet even come close if I was seeing the front sight. I had to aim at something above the target way up on the far shore. Kool to touch off a round and lower the gun and wait for the splash. The target was pretty safe out there.

Offline Nobade

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 02:53:44 AM »
Sometimes they can provide quite the entertainment. I used to have a Ruger Sheriff model 45, with a 3 1/2 inch barrel. Loaded with 310 grain bullets it hit about 2 feet high at 25 yards but was dead on at 200. When lots of fellows were set up on the range trying to hit our 200 yard hanging gong while firing off the bench with their rifles, I would break out that revolver and start ringing the gong. Usually they would either stop shooting to watch or just pack up and go home. I never told anyone I was cheating and could hit that but not anything closer. 
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 11:19:54 AM »
saddlebum, not taking away anything from Munden, as he is quick and accurate. I'ld like to see him break the balloon, hanging from a string. He really doesn't have to hit the ballon to break it, just the steel target behind it. The bullet splatter will break the balloon. He still has to be an exceptional shot just to do that. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 11:35:06 AM »
@gypsyman

I thought about that too. So I looked real close at the video. There are only two hits on the fresh painted steel. Both are behind the balloon. And I'm pretty sure it's the one on the right that takes out the balloon. Watch again and see what you think. Go full screen to watch.

It doesn't mention how many times it took him to hit it either.
Although in the first video he says, "three times in a row".

OOPS!!
I just took my own advice and watched it again. He hits the upper left side of the steel. You can see it hit real plain if you look close. That makes three hits on the steel. I didn't see that high/left one before.
You were right!
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 01:42:14 AM »
When I used to compete in PPC, we routinely shot short barreled revolvers out to 50 yards.  Some of the scores were amazing.  Some of us practiced a lot farther than 50 and got to the point of being considered good.  My revolver of choice was a S&W M36 with a 3" barrel but my M36 with a 2" barrel was just as useful.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 05:47:33 AM »
When I was doing LE, I carried 2 1/2" guns and at other times I carried 4" six shooters.  The highest score I ever shot was with a 2 1/2" S&W with factory grips never tuned. At that time S&W was making some pretty crusty guns, it felt like there was gravel in the works. And , it was the first rounds I had fired in the gun.

A lot of shooters say they do better with the short guns because the short sight radius looks more solid and inspires confidence.

Offline leadman

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 06:48:04 PM »
My friend was shooting at a 115 yard target with his AR, I pulled my model 36 3" 38spl. He asked what I was doing, told him I was going to shoot his target, he laughed and went back to shooting. Had 5 shots in about 12" off hand. They were about 12" below center. He tried it and did about the same. This is an early 60s gun and is smooth as silk.

Offline timothy

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 10:17:57 PM »
I'd personally like to see a j frame smith in .38 with adjustable sights. Did they ever make one?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 12:45:12 AM »
I'd personally like to see a j frame smith in .38 with adjustable sights. Did they ever make one?

Lots of J frames have been made with adjustable sites...but I cannot remember a 38SPL... At least not factory. ::)

It IS all about seeing the sites. The better your eyes the better you will be able to hit what you shoot at. That and practice, practice practice!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »

Offline Shortgun

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 04:27:52 AM »
I have a friend that shoots with Bob Munden every year. I think if folks knew how many bullets he shoots on a yearly basis they would understand why he can do the things he does, and makes a good livin at it as well. I think he has lead in his blood. Have ya ever looked close at his hands? His fingers are black with stains form gunpowder and lead.