Author Topic: any feedback on the handi-rifle in 35 remington?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline midwayraider

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Contributor
  • 8-pointer on 11-04-09
any feedback on the handi-rifle in 35 remington?
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »
thinking about a handi in 35 rem. ........anybody shot one ?
kelly

Offline Snakeoil Willie

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: any feedback on the handi-rifle in 35 remington?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:09:21 PM »
I have one and have shot about 50rds thru it in fire lapping. Plan to shoot mainly cast bullets. This was a couple of months ago, but I remember it was grouping well at 50 yds.  The 35 Rem is a good cast bullet cartridge and plus being a good deer killer.

For the money, I would say go for it and enjoy.

Centex Bill

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 03:53:12 PM »
I do not have a Handi in .35 rem, but I do have a great old Marlin that has been worked on a little.  I love the .35 rem!  It's old, it's 'slow' (compared to today's magnums), but you know what?  It gets the job done.  It seems soft shooting and manageable, but what a thumper!  Not quite the same as a 45-70, but it does put game down with authority way beyond it's paper ballistics.  It is a cartridge I greatly enjoy and I'm sure you will also.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 03:53:15 PM »
On the "Handi Success Stories" thread   Joe S. shot three deer with his 35 rem. this fall. In his last post he mentioned "really starting to like this rifle" So I am thinking he is happy with his.   thejanitor

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »
We have several here. I think the 35 Remington is a must have for the Handi just like the 30-30, 45/70 and one of the pistol calibers. I actually use +p handloads that shoot really well. Truth is the standard 35 Rem rounds pack a wallup anyway. As for recoil, to me the 35 Rem is still very manageable in a Handi.

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 02:16:28 AM »
So far I have only shot the 200 grain Core-Lokts out of mine... they group around 1.5" for three shots @ 100 yards. I do have a box of the Hornandy LE to try out. The 200 Core_Lokt made fine work on a doe this year for me!
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline Warthog

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
any feedback on the handi-rifle in 35 remington?
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 02:53:39 AM »
It's certainly my favorite Handi. Everything else has pretty much been gathering dust since I picked it up. I didn't get a chance to try it on deer this year, but accuracy wise, it shoots far better than I do.
Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.  Right up until it kills you.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 03:35:23 AM »
"Not quite the same as a 45-70, but it does put game down with authority way beyond it's paper ballistics."

I also have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington and a .35 Remington H&R barrel (it started out as a .357 Mag barrel). The comment above about the .35 Remington putting game down with authority way beyond it's paper ballistics is very true and has been spoken of for generations whenever there is a conversation about that fine old caliber. It is a great deer and black bear caliber and I have cleanly harvested quite a few whitetail deer with it. I am VERY happy with both of mine and I would not feel undergunned going after a moose with one....<><....:)

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline OldBob

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 04:28:53 AM »
  I don't have one in a Handi Rifle ... yet but I do have one in a Marlin 336 and it is a deer killing machine ! They are a great woods ( close range) rifle and mine loves cast bullets as well, the target was shot off the bench at 100 yards with the Lee "Ranch Dog" bullet

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 07:51:57 AM »
I gotta have one!! Coarse I also gonna ream it to 356 Win. ::)

But the 35 Rem is a excellent classic caliber, well suited to the H&R platform!

CW

If anyone knows where I can get one the where abouts would be most appreciated!!!
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline midwayraider

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Contributor
  • 8-pointer on 11-04-09
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 02:26:04 PM »
thanks guys..........think i'll get one ;D
kelly

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 06:58:42 PM »
The only Handi in 35 Rem I have seen had a horribly fitted fore end and the barrel latch felt wrong, like maybe the barrel was not locking up right.  I passed on it. 

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
I have 2 Marlin 336s in 35 Rem.  It is a very underrated caliber.  The Hornady LE bullets are either loved or hated.  I like them.  Sighted in properly the 35 Rem with the LEs is an easy 200 yard whitetail gun.  I know.  I took one a while back at 218 (per range finder) with a dead on hold.  The Handi-Rifle should do no less.  I would think it would also be deadly with cast bullets, but have not tried them yet.