Author Topic: Remember the days before premium bullets  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Remember the days before premium bullets
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »
I'm a state certified Safety & Environmental Manager.  Nearly everything you hear about lead is a load of crap.  Everything our forefathers ate from, drank from, and touched contained lead.  It passes right on through you.  A lead pot does not give off lead fumes.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline 223fan

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »
As far as factory ammo goes I am still a fan of the plain jane federal ammo.They always shot well and killed well.
XLI the one to go with.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »
perhaps the last factory loaded ammo I bought (mostly for the brass) was Federal .32 H&R Magnum.  That has to have been 15 or more years ago...but I have no complaints about it.  The box said premium and it was loaded with a hollow point that resembles the Hornady XTP's
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2012, 11:28:39 PM »
Swampy your not quite right there. Even at 800 degrees there is very small ammounts of lead vapor given off from a pot. Probably not enough to even talk about for the average caster that casts once or twice a month but someone who does it as often as me needs to pay a little attention. As to our forefathers and lead. Yup then were exposed to alot more. I remember seeing on the discovery channel once where romans even put it in there wine to sweaten it. But lead poisoning was rampant there and may died from it. Lead doesnt just pass right through you. Your bone marrow will store a percentage of it and if your not smart about it it will get to the point that you have to much in your system and it can cause all kinds of health hazards espcially in children which is why I made the point earlier that children and pets have no bussiness in your casting area. My opinion of it is this. Its something to respect but not fear. Even after the fact that ive need treatments i know in my heart that it was my own stupid fault for not giving it respect. Dont fool yourself lead is a poison and it can happen to you if your stupid like i was. Understand this too. Just about every shooter is exposed to lead. Even if you dont cast. Ive got one friend that had so much in him he actually got very sick and had to have blood trasfusions. Thing is he never casted a bullet in his life. He shot competitive handgun competitions for years and did alot of it indoors. Anymore most indoor facilitys have ventilation but just a few years back I went to a neigboring town that was putting on an indoor ppc shoot. they had ventaliation but had a farily good sized indoor range that 6 shooters at a time could shoot. I walked into the range and it looked as smoky as a bar on friday night. I promptly turned around and left. Ill repeat this too. Your brass tumbler can be a big sorce of lead dust. I know some guys that are just cheapskates that like to get the very last bit of use out of tumbling media that can be bought cheap at any feed store. Mine gets changed out regularly and i keep the barn door open when the tumblers are running. All thats needed is a bit of common sense not a bunch of fear.
I'm a state certified Safety & Environmental Manager.  Nearly everything you hear about lead is a load of crap.  Everything our forefathers ate from, drank from, and touched contained lead.  It passes right on through you.  A lead pot does not give off lead fumes.
blue lives matter

Offline Rock Home Isle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2012, 02:56:39 AM »
Federal ammunition is good and reliable.

When I reload I like to use Winchester Brass.

My standard day to day shooting projectile is the Sierra BT. When I go hunting (Big Game & I didn't draw BP) I'll re-sight-in my rifle using a premium bullet...most likeloy a Barnes Bullet or I do have a nice stock of Noslers.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »
I disagree but you're the moderator.  How does tumbling media get lead in it?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2012, 12:09:21 AM »
from the lead residue thats left in the case from the cast bullets. By the way im not the moderator on this forum. Im the moderator on the single action forum. Just another joe here. Believe me, ive researched every aspect of lead poisoning because it was so close to home for me. Granted theres some mixed advice out there but dont for a minute think it cant happen to you like i did.
I disagree but you're the moderator.  How does tumbling media get lead in it?
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2012, 11:54:03 PM »
One other thing to keep in mind is that when you get it its a pain in the but. Not only do you have to pay to get tested and retested but theres the cost of chelting pills and the worse thing for me was the doctors have to turn it in to the state and they came and investigated where i worked for lead contamination. Luckily they found none to speak of but it was still a hastle for the company. They also called my home about weekly for a couple years trying to get a phone interview to see how i was exposed. I didnt want them on my property so i ignored the calls and finally they went away. Im sure they would have flipped over backwards if they saw my lead stash and casting area and knowing the goverment they would have tried to take it away.
blue lives matter

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2012, 03:55:28 AM »
You are an honerable man, Lloyd Smale, like we don't see too often these days to be concerned about your employers.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »
well i am an honest man and will admitt i wasnt so much conserned about my employer as how i would be treated after they went through the hastle especially if they actually found a problem. Luckily that wasnt the case and ossha didnt find anything on site.
blue lives matter