Author Topic: "Excavated bronze handgonne" they say  (Read 453 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
"Excavated bronze handgonne" they say
« on: January 23, 2012, 07:40:25 AM »
Are you convinced the excavated pieces shown in this video were once part of a very old bronze handgonne?  If you want to get right to the point, the fragments are shown briefly at around the 0:5:00 point (5 minutes into the video.)

http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/video/otepaagonne_700kW.html

Offline BoomLover

Re: "Excavated bronze handgonne" they say
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
Cannonmn, it reminded me of Gary making his Hand Gonne. I think it is plausible, given the rest of the video, that the pieces shown could have been part of the Gonne, as portrayed. BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »
I tried to see it , but it was going to be tomorrow B4 it down loaded .
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »
There's a still photo of it "as reassembled" here:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10550

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »
I think there is at least a 50% chance it is what they are claiming it is.  It is, however, hard to believe their powder is good enough to cause the old timers to give up their long bows.  I have to believe that a long bow would project the fire arrow to a much greater distance.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 09:05:43 AM »
I need to see many more and better photos of the handful of twisted and/or melted things they found.  When something departs in some minor way from contemporary objects of the same type (firearms in this case) it is likely the thing is a firearm.  Many departures make it more suspect.  I've never seen a m/l small arm of that era:

-with a conical barrel
-with a supercaliber chamber
-with a hook that thin
-with a hook that was a separate piece unless it was welded secuely to the barrel
-with two holes on top
-with a raised rectanguar platform like that one on top

What I'm trying to say is that firearms were new and mysterious back then, people did not know exactly how they worked so tended to make very slight changes from what worked before, when redesigning one of them.  So to suddenly find a handful of separate parts, throw them together in a way they don't fit very well, and say "here's a radical historic gonne with five or more features we've never seen before" is a bit of a stretch for me.

Here's a link to a drawing of the famous Tannenberg Gun for comparison, note the long subcaliber chamber.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/tannenberg%20gun/Incitatus/TannenPlan690.jpg