Author Topic: Civil War Reunion Footage  (Read 609 times)

Offline gunsonwheels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Civil War Reunion Footage
« on: January 13, 2012, 06:53:07 AM »
Received the following from Lance Hites the builder of the Hope, ND Napoleon carriage and limber:

Worth the brief time it takes. Gives one pause....

Take time, children, to learn about times past in the lives of people you
 meet and/or know. This film changed my views a little, and it might change
 yours a lot. I hope you enjoy it. And note the website, schoolTube. Imagine
 seeing a video of people who fought each other in the Civil War!

Actual Civil War veteran footage of Civil War vets reunion @ Gettysburg .
 (It's not over until a little after the stats are shown)

Civil war veteran soldier footage, captured between 1913 and 1938

http://www.schooltube.com/video/a088eb35599e46dd5552/Civil-war-veteran-soldier-footage-captured-between-1913-and-1938

Offline dynomike1x1

• Avid Poster
Re: Civil War Reunion Footage
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:05:58 AM »
That is one hell of a video. Really touching.
There are very few probablms that can't be solved with explosives.
2/115FA

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:46:02 PM »
There some discussion going on now that the death toll in the Civil War may have been higher than thought.  It has been estimated that about 15% of the casualties in the Civil War were caused by artillery fire.  I wonder how they could tell the difference between a wound caused by a bullet or by case shot.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:53:26 PM »
There some discussion going on now that the death toll in the Civil War may have been higher than thought.  It has been estimated that about 15% of the casualties in the Civil War were caused by artillery fire.  I wonder how they could tell the difference between a wound caused by a bullet or by case shot.

And who was counting? :o :o :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'(
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:21:41 AM »
In the age before antiseptic & antibiotics, many common injuries & diseases were fatal.  In my own town, our local vanpire legend dates to a Tuberculosis epidemic in 1892...  and it is surprising that at least the more primitive local folk chose to disreguard knowledgeable medical professionals...  actually dug up corpses to perform a folk ritual.  1892!  A whole generation after the Civil War.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_Brown_vampire_incident

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
From some reports I have seen that 1913 reunion was marred by renewed outbreaks of hostilities.  Not just between former belligerents, but also some bad blood between Confederate units - "Well, we reached the wall, at least!"  "Yeah, and you did it because WE took most of the fire!"

Also, touching moments.  If I recall correctly, a Confederate who was wounded at Devils Den, and was helped by a federal, heard a federal recounting the incident to some others, they compared what they remembered of it and, it would seem, they had met that day, the federal helping the wounded Confederate. 

I've seen some recently (past 10 years) estimates that there were upwards of 850,000 military deaths as a result of the Civil War.  Something that is deucedly hard to track down is the civilian deaths.  I read one report from the Surgeon Generals office in the 1890s that there were around 1,250,000 "excess deaths" in the civilian population during the War. If so, that means close to 2,000,000 deaths from that war.  Plus the injured and maimed.  Figure that, with the war being mostly in the South, and the, for want of a better phrase, planned famine that resulted from federal actions, maybe 1,000,000 of those were in the South.  At least.  Deaths from starvation, malnutrition, and diseases resulting from or complicated by those.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »
Just goes to prove the point there are NO winners in a war... one side just loses more than the other.  Peace and freedom have always been severely and dearly bought...  I think the Military Channel has said Hitler was responsible for upwards of 40 million deaths... all nations and faiths/religions tolled...

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »
Even that number pales when compared to the toll of the various Marxist regimes of the 20th century, and they weren't even officially at war.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill