Author Topic: Big Brown came today  (Read 800 times)

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
Big Brown came today
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »
My new 30-30 barrel came today ;D , now to get a base and scope mounted. The only scope I have on hand is a 3x9x40 so it will have to do, it's a littel big as in long but until I order another one it will work. Going to some hunting in the morning with a 308 then stop by the range on the way home, will try to give range report tommorrow. About 3 1/2 weeks turnaround time not bad.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Big Brown came today
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
Looking forward to it!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 04:25:26 PM »
If it wasn't going to be cold in the morning [around 29 deg.] I'd go shoot but we don't get many nice cold day's here and I'm hopping it will get the bucks moving or hogs I'll be happy with eather.
The scope I put on it is not going to work, not enough eye relief, its a redfield 2x7,I thought I was going to use the Nikon but decided to put it on a Marlin 35. Dang it, I guess I'll just have to order another one.  ;D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 11:45:17 PM »
I have done that very thing more then once!! LOL My buddie likes to call it scope roulette...

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 01:24:54 PM »
Took it to the range and had 10 FTF only one round went bang, all reloads I know the primers are fresh and good, loaded some 308 at same time as loading the 30-30's all 308 shot fine. Tried going through all rounds to find primers that were set deep, flush and ever so slightly raised did not seem to matter still FTF even tried many times to re cock and fire, next thing was to pull and see if they had pwdr. they did and none of the primers were fired, tried to use just empty case primer only, got one to pop after about 7or 8 re cocks, looked at the fireingpin it's not broken, tried to do a search could not find anything but then I'm not that good with computers, fireing pin protrudes .043". I did notice that the rim of the cases recess .0075". If anybody could tell me what the pin should protrude and the oal of it I would appreciate it. Bought some Fact. Rem. rounds and pulled two of them they fired just fine, going to take the .44 do some swamp trompin in the morning then hit the range on the way home and try again before I tear it down, could be crud in the hole slowing it down, time to a trigger job on it anyway.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 02:57:36 PM »
Its a new barrel correct? I would just send it back. should be flush, but that's a small amount of recess.... +- .040 is about right, grind a bit off the hammer to get you .045 and see what you get.

Also if you hand load you can reload with out pushing the shoulder back and correct it. In effect you would be head spacing off the shoulder instead of the rim.. All "fixes", IMHO returning it to the factory is best choice...

CW.

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 03:39:11 PM »
I agree with sending it back. I'll play with it first and try the new fact. ammo on the way home, I did notice that the barrel is hard to shut with a round in it and if you open the action before firing's the base of the cartridge and primer have what looks like a primer swipe if that makes any since. I'll call H&R Monday. I'm hoping it fire fine with fact. ammo and maybe just pushed the shoulder back. Thanks CW.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 04:18:07 PM »
Bought some Fact. Rem. rounds and pulled two of them they fired just fine,

If factory rounds fired okay then sending it back to H&R may not be the answer, as they will probably also check it with factory ammo.  It sounds like a problem with the reloads unless the factory rounds are actually headspacing on the shoulder instead of the rim.  Interesting problem.  Can you shim the front of some reloads with something (a dab of epoxy, maybe?) and see if they will fire then?

Another thought - drop a FTF reload in the chamber and see how far forward it goes, then try the same with a factory round.  If the reload goes in further than the factory round I would mike the rims and see if the reload rims are less thick than the Remington rims.  In fact, I think that is what I would do first, then try the other suggestions.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 06:26:49 PM »
-WH- That's a good idea, I re-sized some new brass tonight I think may work, I took my sizing die and turned it back a little at a time till I could get a primer to fire then primed 5 casings and tried them and all primers popped first try, so loaded up 10 rounds and will try tomorrow at range.It looks like I may have been moving the shoulder back. :o
Hopefully will have a range report tommorrow.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 04:14:49 PM »
Well the new 30-30 goes back to H&R, tried 10 fact. rem 170 CL today only 1 out of 10 fired, and 5or 6 retries.
But what I don't understand is when I got home today I pulled 3 or 4 of the bullets [ fact.] put them in the barrel and every on of them fired on the first try. Any body got any clue as to why?
And for a return shipping label do I just call CS or do I need to contact Brian?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 05:38:06 AM »
I'd call H&R and ask for a return shipping label to cover shipping cost, I'd contact Brian too.  ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »
I called H&R CS about an hour ago and there going to send a return shipping label in the mail, the guy I talked to said it would take 10 to 14 days being that I don't have a printer that works. Any idea why it would not fire with a bullet in the case but fired just fine without one in the case?
I thought about doing a chamber cast but didn't want to do anything to jeopardise the warranty.