Author Topic: Looking for a decent holster belt....  (Read 641 times)

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Looking for a decent holster belt....
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »
I'm looking for a decent holster belt. Not wild west stuff but a good leather belt to wear for concealed carry etc. Any ideas?

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
Re: Looking for a decent holster belt....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »
HI LW:

I have a few. One good source is The Beltman.com on the internet. All different kind of prices. Another is Bianchi, I have one from them that I bought for about $59.00. My latest is from a company called Texas Leathercraft. Here is the link below. I won a hundred dollar gift certificate from a drawing on Glock Talk. Here is their website  www.customgunbelts.com

The one I got was a $100 belt 1.5 inches wide and tapered to half inch in the front. Man this leather is thick and of high quality. This belt could easily last a lifetime.

Hope this helps.

Regards PAH
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:34:38 AM »
12 oz leather and 2 inches wide.
Lots of folks who will do a good job.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:12:22 AM »
I could never find exactly what I wanted... or maybe I didn't want to pay what they wanted.   :-\   Anyway, that's one of the reasons I started doing my own leatherwork!   ;D   Besides, it's fun!  Try it!   ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »
I have a Beltman model and could not be happier. It is three years old and still in good shape, I'm gonna guess it will still be working five years from now.

When you get your new belt DO NOT attempt to soften it up with conditioners oils or any other treatments. You will come to appreciate the stiffness I don't feel right without a barrel hoop around my waist any more.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline spruce

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:56:13 PM »
Maybe someone can enlighten me - but I never could understand why a 1 1/2" wide strip (or two sewn together) of leather has to cost so much??

Now, I understand you can only get a limited number of strips of the length needed out of a hide - probably fewer belts than holsters out of a given piece of hide.  But the amount of labor to make them should be less than a holster (no molding, etc).

And how about those nylon "Wilderness" belts - a couple dollars worth of nylon and plastic reinforcement, a dollar buckle, and 5 minutes on a sewing machine - how do you get $59 or more out of that??

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »
Not too expensive and good leather:  http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=161754&CAT=3989

***edit***

Heh just noticed that is out of stock.  They have brown too and if you check out Oklahoma Leather, you can get their stuff on other sites too.  I have a holster from them also and intend to get some more.  Some of the best priced leather goods I've found.  ;)

Their site is more expensive direct, but still has some decent deals too: https://www.oklahomaleatherproducts.com/Merchant4/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OLP&Product_Code=STRAP+LEATHER+HOLSTER+BELT&Category_Code=B3
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »
Maybe someone can enlighten me - but I never could understand why a 1 1/2" wide strip (or two sewn together) of leather has to cost so much??

Now, I understand you can only get a limited number of strips of the length needed out of a hide - probably fewer belts than holsters out of a given piece of hide.  But the amount of labor to make them should be less than a holster (no molding, etc).

And how about those nylon "Wilderness" belts - a couple dollars worth of nylon and plastic reinforcement, a dollar buckle, and 5 minutes on a sewing machine - how do you get $59 or more out of that??
Too many people are wanting them, and China ain't on to this market yet.

I believe I have an idea. ;)
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline ma-duece

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »
Spruce,
   Maybe I can give it a try.  I'm new to this forum, but I make custom leather holsters so I know a little about what goes into the CCW belt. It is make of 1st class leather (Wickett & Craig) that is rather expensive, about 8 buck a sq. foot.  That is cut from a hide that has to be perfect in quality, no scars.  It has to be cut, the ends scived or trimmed to accept a buckle, dyed, holes for buckle and adjustment, good cuality snaps or chicago screws, edges trimmed, sewed and then a finish for weather or sweat protection.  There is probably a few steps that I left out.  I paid $60.00 for one from Zack White and it is a plain black ccw dress belt  that I've had for about 5 years that looks like new.  That old addage...you get what ya pay for.  Hope this helps some.  Semper-fi  Mike
The two enemies of guns....rust and politicians.

Offline spruce

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:34:27 PM »
Ma-duece,
Good point, lot of time goes into a custom belt and I would expect the price to reflect that.  However, I was thinking along the lines of the OP - just a decent quality belt that would look appropriate for casual dress and be stiff enough so the holstered gun doesn't flop all over the place.

Now, can anyone explain the cost of those reinforced nylon belts?  They certainly appear to be of a construction that would lend itself reasonably well to mass production techniques which should lower the retail price.  Perhaps leather companies price their nylon belts high enough so sales don't cut into the leather belt sales?  I'm just guessing, just curious about it!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »
Cabelas garrison belt works well.
Sometimes it is on sale.
Made by tripple K.
Will allow you to replace the buckel with any redo winning event buckel you own.