Author Topic: 35 whelen handi rifle loads  (Read 571 times)

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
35 whelen handi rifle loads
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:05:48 PM »
I just picked up a set of 35 whelen dies to start reloading for the handi. This is my first real reloading venture so I was just curious if any of you 35 whelen handi owners have any good loads you would like to share with me. I know not all rifles like the same loads but I need some ideas, too many different loads to pick through un reloading books. Gun is used predominantly on deer and I would like the load to be pretty effective out 250 yards. Thanks

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
Re: 35 whelen handi rifle loads
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:00:32 PM »
I would stay with lighter bullets for that, there is no need for anything more than 200 gr for deer, or even 180's. and about 56 gr of RL15. They should shoot about like 150 gr 308's.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Crow Juice

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »
I am using Remington Brass , Rem large rifle primer , 56 grains of H4895 , 200gr Hornaday Spire points. This load gives slightly greater than 1 moa in my  son's handy. I can also say that the 200gr spire point drops deer in their tracks.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 08:32:02 AM »
I don't reload, not yet.  (maybe I never will) but the 225 grain Partition is a great Whelen bullet for gaminals in the elk-moose class, and also for hogs or bbears I wouldn't think its too much either!

Plus Hornady indeed makes good cup-n-core bullets for deer and more 'economical' plinking.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 02:12:48 PM »
if your rifle is equip'd with tha right stuff...and you are familier with how it likes to be
operated and what it likes to put thru tha barrel. a 250yrd shot with a 225 gr bullet will be
a mighty fine thing.  mine will do it all day long and be in tha vital zone every time.

it all depends on your range time and research with your handi. it will do what you want. no matter how others say it won't, or recommend something else. ::)

great caliber.... ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »
I've only worked up two loads in my 35 Whelen, 225gr TSX and 250gr Speer, here's Matt's work which is the same TSX load I used. I also have a 35 Whelen Improved with several loads that I've worked with if you ever go that route.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,130183.msg1098479482.html#msg1098479482
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »
I have only good things to say about the 200 gr. Hornady spire points. Good on both deer and hogs and acts like a bigger bullet than it is. I expect you can easily reach 2700 fps and this will give you a plenty flat trajectory to 250 yards and a bit beyond. Pushing it faster only makes the rifle kick harder and you get little in return. Another good bullet is the 220 gr. Speer.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »
I do nto have a 35 W Handi, but I do have a Mauser '98 Bolt gun.

I have found that both 2520 and RL15 are top preforming powders. My all time favorite bullet is the Speer 250 Grand Slam, but the 250 Hornady RN and if lighter the 200G Spitzer are very good and cheaper.

The Whelen really begins to shine with the heavier bullets and that 250 GS bullet is a great one! Smashes thru and breaks down the biggest game. Try it with RL15! Dont worry one bit about RN or protected point bullets at 250 yards. Altho they will be slightly slower, they will be just as accurate. most in the know say if under 300 yards bullet profile is of little consern.

Good lukc,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »
225gr speer sp #2850
56gr imr-4895
col 3.266
2560 fps

thumb'n thru my whelen book, it shows i tried 26 different combinations before i found what it liked, and i liked ;)
i ain't scared to go out to 250 ifin i need.......... ;D
good glass always makesa big difference too 8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 06:37:46 PM »
I'm loading for three 35 Whelens for hunting in Mississippi.  The load is Rem. brass, Win. LR primers, 200 gr. Horn. SP bullets and RL 15 powder.  Run those bullets out at 2700 fps. and you have a load that's comfortable to shoot and smacks the living snot out of deer and hogs.  If you have to do any tracking at all it will not be far or hard.