Author Topic: Pre-64 .270 Help  (Read 744 times)

Offline stre-tch

• Trade Count: (0)
Pre-64 .270 Help
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:02:09 AM »
Hello. 

I have a Winchester Model 70 pre-64 (1955) rifle chambered in .270 (barrel profile is thin, probably sporter but has band/bump in the barrel contour for attaching a screw to the stock as well as a G&H side scope mount and I have some questions so I figured to ask here for some help.

This rifle has been used for hunting animals in the south and now is being used by me for hunting animals in the west and I would like to clean up and smooth out any areas that are needed so I can eventually pass it on to my kids. I don't plan on making any major modifications other than things that need to be addressed due to wear and tear.

1. does the fore-arm screw help or hurt the accuracy of the rifle and what should I tighten it to or take it out?

2. I was planning on swapping out the stock for a boyds thumbhole stock but was curious if I needed to bed the fore-end screw also?

3. the action as well as bolt and spring are worn but now seem gummy and not as smooth as they should be. What solvent do you recommend for these older rifles to clean them out?

4. when I close the bolt the last 1/16" is sticky and is harder to close and I was wondering if this was due to the bolt release latch on the side at the back of the receiver as well as a fix (possibly part of number 3 question)

5. The magazine follower and spring are a little sticky as well as the magazine follower doesn't seem to resist tilt very well. Are there any magazine anti-tilt solutions or should I not worry about it.

Thanks for the help

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pre-64 .270 Help
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »
Great rifle. The sight bump is a variable. Many believe they damage accuracy but some bed the bump and use the screw to snub the barrel down. This will tie the pressure on the barrel to the wood forearm, not a great idea for a hunting rifle sure to be exposed to the elements.. I would put the screw under the butt plate (for safekeeping) and float the barrel, just a bit! Of course the action should be bedded first so that the action is dead when the screws are removed or inserted. then the barrel can be floated until a dollar bill can move the length of the barrel except for a few inches of the barrel reenforce. Taken care of the rifle should last several lifetimes. Of course the memories it will carry will make it priceless.. For a deep cleaning I use carberator cleaner. The cheapest you can buy a walmart. I believe it's 79 cents a spray can. The spray tube allows exacting control and a brush to loosen the really sticky stuff. Be certain the stock is off the metal and re-oil immediately as the metal will be absolutely bereft of any oil protection. The sticky bolt action is likely due to congealed grased etc. in the locking lug recess.. Clean this area thoroughly! The bolt should have a little dab or grease behind each lug and on the bearing points of the trigger assembly. wipe the bare metal down with a light coat of oil or spray with RustPrevent which is a product that leaves behind a coat of wax to seal the metal surface. It is the best protection I've found for stopping rust. The M70 action works very well and unless the mag spring is weak, all should be fine,,good luck!
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."