Author Topic: 7.62x39 handi  (Read 400 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
7.62x39 handi
« on: January 19, 2012, 08:47:15 AM »
This gun relly shoots factory brass cased ammo well. I would say better than any handi I own at 100 yards. That said loading h4198 at 25 grains( middle road) leaves unburnt powder pellets in the barrel. Should I be crimping the bullets for this handi. I didnt think I would have to as its not a lever or auto. Didnt know if I should post this in the reloading section or here as it is trully related potentialy to a handi issue.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Re: 7.62x39 handi
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
We just had the same issue with my daughters 38-55 last weekend. I am going to crimp harder and go mag primer... but I was not at a max load.
Not giving advice, just saying what I will be doing different.  Good luck with yours.
thejanitor

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 7.62x39 handi
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »
Crimping might work. Different primer might too..

Try mic'ing the expander ball in your dies. If too large will not allow for good bullet retention. I dont think you will want larger, but its avalible form the die manufacturer. If smaller carefuly chuck it up in a drill motot or better yet drill press and sand a thousand's off and try again...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.