Author Topic: Very cool hand made custom shell holder for the 45/70  (Read 1618 times)

Offline GeorgiaDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Very cool hand made custom shell holder for the 45/70
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:33:23 AM »
Hello from the Great State of Georgia,

I just wanted to show off the latest addition to my good friend Thunder. My uncle Dan has been making these shell holders for a while and I finally got around to having him make me one.The leather came from the Piper Aircraft upholstery shop where my grandmother worked for 25 years and is world class quality. Uncle Dan does all the prep work, cutting and sewing by hand and each one is a truly awesome custom piece. There are 9 loops on mine, and with the one shell in the barrell makes for a nice even 10 shots. I am not sure what situation would ever call for all the rounds being used up, but I will still likely carry a few extras anyway. The weight of the shells does add some heft to the gun, but that should actually be appreciated when shooting the hot 350 gr. loads I build. I know you guys all have some sort of personal attachment to your favorite rifle, and this one has become my favorite. I have posted pics of the 1/2" cloverleaf groups this rifle will repeatedly fire with my handloads, so it is not hard to understand why this old ugly push button boat paddle gun is my first choice. Now with the new shell holder, it just continues to grow on me. High dollar guns and storebought accesories are ok, but I will take this set up over them every time. Hope you like it, Have a great day.

Dave
"Firepower is one carefully placed shot, just make sure that it leaves a big hole."

Offline otterbob

• GBO Supporter
Re: Very cool hand made custom shell holder for the 45/70
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:07:06 AM »
I like it ! ,

Is it stitched on or slipped on ?

Otter Bob

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 06:19:58 AM »
I need one of those  :)  I shoot left handed and the store bought one don't fit right when mounted for a left hand shooter, and so far I haven't seen one made for lefties :( . I use to work with a guy who was into leather craft, guess I should have had him make me one before we retired...20-20 hindsight ;D
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:49:17 AM »
Very nice.  Been looking at doing something like that and possibly adding a very small cheek pad on the other side too.  My grandfather retired from Piper Aircraft many moons ago.  He's gone now, but lived in Ft. Pierce, Florida for many years.  ;)   Love those 350's too.  That's what I load only with RL7.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline otterbob

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:41:01 AM »
I shoot left handed and the store bought one don't fit right when mounted for a left hand shooter, and so far I haven't seen one made for lefties :( .

Yep, Left here too, plus wife is a righty so nothing works on the stock !

Have been considering a leather wrist cuff but have not found one that looks nice, last one I saw looked like Goth attire or small dog collar.

Otter Bob

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:46:50 AM »
Nice, how is it attached?
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 08:30:35 AM »
very, very nice !!!! let me know when uncle dan takes uncle mike's place
because of durability, workmanship and appearance...... ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:36:17 AM »
Looks like maybe some snaps on the bottom secures it?  Like ginger-snap style?
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:03:23 AM »
I think I'd like one in black.  How much please?

Cat

Offline GeorgiaDave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 02:39:52 AM »
Hello,

This shell holder is actually stitched on at the bottom. The hand stitching is done by first poking smalll holes in the leather with an ice pick, then sewn with thread that has been heavily waxed. After being fully stitched, the thread is then pulled tight with the pick until it is all nice and snug. This is not a on and off piece like some others, but with the stock holes open, removing the stock is as easy as ever. The loops are sewn in the same manner and are nice and snug as well. One fact I did not mention is that I would suggest not leaving the shells in it during the off season since the natural leather will eventually begin to tarnish the brass cases. But, I am sure that as much as I shoot mine, there will always be fresh fodder taking the place of the older ones. If someone were to want one of these completely custom pieces, I am sure my uncle would make one up for you. I am not sure of the price, but if interested, PM me and we will see if we can get one started.  You would have to sew it on, or send the stock to Georgia but it is not hard at all to install once it is cut out to fit. This is only one color available. There is also a buckskin tan, gray, burgundy, several shades of red, blue, and green. If you have an Ultra stock, I have one as well to be used as a pattern. I was also thinking that one with some tassles would look pretty cool, maybe on a Buffalo Classic ? Someone mentioned a wrist holder, and now I think I will have one of those made next and will post some pics as soon as it is done. Thanks for all the interest and positive remarks. I have posted these pics before, but again wanted to show exactly how accurate a box stock push button gun can be. This 100 yard group was made by 350 gr. jacketed soft points loaded under a healthy load of Varget leaving around 1750 fps.(in the presence of 2 witnesses) This load is not at all violent and is as accurate as most good shooting bolt guns. Placing 3 consecutive .458 bullets INSIDE of a nickel is about all a man can really ask for from a $200 gun. And, if you are up the creek without one, you can ALWAYS use it as a paddle. Thanks again guys, Have a good day.

Dave
"Firepower is one carefully placed shot, just make sure that it leaves a big hole."