Author Topic: 16 ga.  (Read 1304 times)

Offline woodsrunner

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
16 ga.
« on: October 27, 2011, 01:00:40 PM »
 With some of you guys talking like the 16 ga. is the holy grail I'm suprised there is no action on the 16 in the classified section.

???-woodsrunner
Good Hunting--Woodsrunner

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: 16 ga.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 11:28:19 PM »
Maybe it's the price?  You can find the whole gun cheaper than that.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
Markus just could be right, he usually is. I love my 16, it's one of the most accurate smoothbore slug barrels I have as well as a great "shot" gun. My 16 guage barrel is also a full choke, the same as the barrel offered in the classifieds. Now if the barrel offered for sale was a modified choke, perhaps a couple of inches shorter (but not neccessary), and a bit cheaper, I would be all over it. I do like the 16's, they are really great classic field guns.
....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 03:36:58 PM »
Markus just could be right, he usually is. I love my 16, it's one of the most accurate smoothbore slug barrels I have as well as a great "shot" gun. My 16 guage barrel is also a full choke, the same as the barrel offered in the classifieds. Now if the barrel offered for sale was a modified choke, perhaps a couple of inches shorter (but not neccessary), and a bit cheaper, I would be all over it. I do like the 16's, they are really great classic field guns.
MSP Ret - Maybe I'm too "Old School", but I was told to never shoot slugs out of a full choke, or for that matter out of any choke except a cylinder/improved cylinder.  Doesn't the slug squeezing thru a full choke cause excessive pressure, or bad accuracy, anyway that's what I've always been told and believed.  I'm always open to learning new tricks.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 06:02:53 PM »
Modern "rifled" slugs also called Foster styled slugs are designed to fit through a full choke. Accuracy can often be quite good with full and mod choked guns.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 04:56:13 AM »
those foster style remington and winchester slugs shoot just fine from the full chokes as do the brennekees but you get a little more thump from them as they are much harder than the other 2. Only reason I have not bought a 16ga H&R is I am in love with my Monkey Wards 5100 Hercules SXS. And my Tracker 20 for slugs.Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
MSP Ret - Maybe I'm too "Old School", but I was told to never shoot slugs out of a full choke, or for that matter out of any choke except a cylinder/improved cylinder.  Doesn't the slug squeezing thru a full choke cause excessive pressure, or bad accuracy, anyway that's what I've always been told and believed.  I'm always open to learning new tricks.

As has been said the most of the newer "rifled" slugs are safe and shoot fine out of a full choked barrel. That tale (your right, it has been around a LONG time) started long ago with the solid round "pumpkin balls" that would not swage down well through a tightly choked barrel....<><.... :) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 04:06:52 PM »
Markus, PHATINJUN, MSP Ret - Thanks for setting me straight, otherwise, I would have believed it for the rest of my life, and probably spread that misinformation too. :P
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline snuffer#1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 04:36:15 PM »
I have a stevens single-shot 16 ga. 28" barrel, full choke. Killed many a deer with it. Got it for Christmas when I was 14 yrs. old, now I'm 58 yrs. old. I don't know what model it is. It has a dog on the side where it breaks open. I use rem. sluggers and it hits where the bead it pointed, dead on the money out to 50 yds. It hits a deer like someone getting hit like a baseball bat. ;) ;D
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.

Offline Rick N Bama

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
I have a stevens single-shot 16 ga. 28" barrel, full choke. Killed many a deer with it. Got it for Christmas when I was 14 yrs. old, now I'm 58 yrs. old. I don't know what model it is. It has a dog on the side where it breaks open. I use rem. sluggers and it hits where the bead it pointed, dead on the money out to 50 yds. It hits a deer like someone getting hit like a baseball bat. ;) ;D

That's a Stevens M940A.  I've had the same gun since I was about 13 or 14 & I'm 64 now.  No telling how many Squirrels & Rabbits it has taken!

Rick

Offline digs68

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »
My brother has an old Iver Johnson single shot 20 gauge, full choke. He got it when he was a kid probably 40 years ago. He slug-hunted with it for years and the end of the barrel finally did get a split in it about 3/4 of an inch long. He had it cut-off behind the crack prob 20 years ago. It hasn't been hunted with for years. I can remember the hammer being so hard I had to use two thumbs to get it cocked when I was a kid. It did shoot pretty accurately with slugs though.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »
I can remember the hammer being so hard I had to use two thumbs to get it cocked when I was a kid.

I have a Stevens 94C .410 sold under the Sears "J. C. Higgins" logo.  I had to do the two thumbs thing myself when I was 8 or 10 (yeah Dad got me a shotgun early) and still have it and I'm 68 now.  Sweet little shotgun but these Partners sure are easier to cock.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 05:37:24 AM »
With some of you guys talking like the 16 ga. is the holy grail I'm suprised there is no action on the 16 in the classified section.

??? -woodsrunner
Maybe it's the price?  You can find the whole gun cheaper than that.

It's also the price of 16 Ga ammunition.  Sorry to say; Low demand = Higher price.
It's unfortunate that more people haven't discovered it's appeal, the 16Ga is such a sweet gauge, that's why their fondly called: Sweet 16's