Author Topic: 18th century ship dimensions  (Read 578 times)

Offline Tod0987

• Trade Count: (0)
18th century ship dimensions
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »
After seeing one member here build a mockup of the side of an ironclad with cannon I've been toying with the idea of making a scaled English frigate or similar French flute or Dutch design from the 1700's and placing a few of Dom's naval bb cannons as its guns. (would be a heck of a smoke n' flame picture eh?). I'm thinking 4-6' long in scale but would like to get atleast close.

Does anyone have any bookmarked sites that I could pull dimensions off of to reverse engineer from? I've done some searching and only found total lengths and widths or gross weight, but hoping for some more details.

Thanks,

Tod

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: 18th century ship dimensions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:20:24 PM »
After seeing one member here build a mockup of the side of an ironclad with cannon I've been toying with the idea of making a scaled English frigate or similar French flute or Dutch design from the 1700's and placing a few of Dom's naval bb cannons as its guns. (would be a heck of a smoke n' flame picture eh?). I'm thinking 4-6' long in scale but would like to get atleast close.

Does anyone have any bookmarked sites that I could pull dimensions off of to reverse engineer from? I've done some searching and only found total lengths and widths or gross weight, but hoping for some more details.

Thanks,

Tod

I have a copy of a book  titled HMS Victory, her construction, career and restoration by Alan McGown. The detailed drawing it are incredible.  Unfortunately the book even on the used market is expensive.  Fortunately when I bought it, it was on closeout ands cheap.  The book has line drawings that would be perfect for what you want.

Google model ship plans and and start looking....

http://modelshipmaster.com/products/civil_war/USS_Hartford.htm

http://modelshipmaster.com/products/tall_ships/index.htm

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »
Google "Golden Hinde". this is an actual working full scale reproduction of Sir Fracis Drake's Golden Hind, note difference in spelling.  I have been on this ship in Vallejo Ca.  Since they rebuilt this in full scale, the drawings must be available somewhere.  If drawings are  too expensive google it up on images.  Why settle for an ironclad when you can have a 15th century privateer, Har, Har, Har.

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:24:50 AM »
A lot of the repro ships are guesses at best.  I know Mayflower II is.  Warships "might" have had plans to work from.  Constitution's last overhaul, they found marks from intenal diagonal bracing which had been ommited in her previous reconstruction. 
The BountyII is a scaled up 1/3 replica...  http://easternyachts.com/bounty/specifications.htm  taken from British Navy drawings.

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 10:37:27 AM »
Haha thanks guys for the help. Never though of finding a model and trying to scale it up.  Will take a look into that appoach.

Tod

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:06:09 AM »
Go to  www.privateermedia.com
Tell Damion what you want to do.
I am sure he will help you with the information he has.
Tell him Brian sent you there.

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:16:41 AM »
Go to  www.privateermedia.com
Tell Damion what you want to do.
I am sure he will help you with the information he has.
Tell him Brian sent you there.

Thanks!! Will check him out