Author Topic: varget and 35 whelen  (Read 447 times)

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
varget and 35 whelen
« on: February 07, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »
anyone know of a load for speer 220's and varget?

got a#8 of varget for cheap from a mis order the shop owner didnt want to hazmat back.
and my wife got me 250 speer 220fp's  she works for atk and gets good discounts on stuff, I asked for a box of 50 to experiment with, neither of us knew the minimum shipped is 5 boxes so I got plenty, dont ask about the 500 130gr for 270, same thing just more bullets, I suspected something was wrong when she said your bullets are in the car, youll have to get them theyre heavy :o
hodgson doesnt list varget in this weight and Im on the road away from my manuals.
speer's online data is of course useless unless unless youre using alliant powders.
given the amount of bullets and powder I now have this looks like my combo for a while, I hope its good

UPDATE: I called hodgson and asked about the combination they said the data for the 225 sierra would be good just start at the low end and work up.

Ill start workups this week and weather permitting some range time, to have it ready to go for fall, dont know IF ill get to use it this year or not theres lots of re15 and 225 sierras to shoot thru  along with the ftx 200's

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: varget and 35 whelen
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:20:46 PM »
My Hodgdon manuels do not show Varget with that bullet....  BUT they do with the 225 Sierra....

Here is what I have...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: varget and 35 whelen
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
thanks longshot. Ill start workup when I get home tomorrow. prolly gonna wind up around the same range  I use with re15  but the chrono and target will tell the tale. 
when richey called with  the varget and asked if I could use it I was like H**L yes Ill take it.   I can use it in the 308 the 30-30 the 06 and the whelen.
he said he figured I was the only person around who would use up 8 pounds of powder anytime soon and didnt I need a new ar to help use it all up. hes so considerate..
it is pretty bad tho when the LGS has your number on speed dial.