Author Topic: A Proposed Cannon Terminology List  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: A Proposed Cannon Terminology List
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »
In looking through the 36 dictionaries listed for this referenace (garland) in ONE LOOK dictionary, there were several references that listed a definition of nautical use being something (of rope) that encircled.

Might-could be an appropriate term.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Garland?r=66
http://dictionary.infoplease.com/garland
http://www.yourdictionary.com/garland

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 01:32:18 PM »
Maybe this might help. Put a drawing of a complete cannon or mortar w/ numbers and arrow pointing to the part w/an index w/the part name like trunions or ears barrel or pipe.If a piece is different ad another drawing.Just my 2 cents.

1. Trunions or ears

2. barrel or pipe

Page 56 http://www.nps.gov/fosc/forteachers/upload/Artillery%20Manual%20Gibbon.pdf

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 01:40:36 PM »
Help me with a word.
I have been referring to the platform a stack of cannon balls sit in as a "garland".  I don't remember where I got this and can't find any reference.
If I am misusing the term, I want to know about it.
Zulu

According to Gibbon the base may be made up of unserviceable balls buried about 2/3rds of their diameter in sand.  Or the base can be made up of brick, concrete, stone, or with braces and borders of iron.   

This is of course for land use.  I don't know about naval usage.

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Double D

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 03:47:08 AM »
Zulu,

Here is something I found in some loose pages. I'm pretty sure they are from the "An Aide Memoire to the Military Sciences."

Max

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 04:37:57 AM »
Thanks Max,
That's exactly what I was looking for. 
I suspect our "terminology" list could have several different terms with the same meaning.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dynomike1x1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »
My bad i miss understood what Mike & Tim  was trying to do i thought they were trying to simplify instead of educate.
There are very few probablms that can't be solved with explosives.
2/115FA

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »
So far it would appear that its only in the "proposed" or planning stages so far.  So maybe they do want to educate.  Either way still think its a good idea. 
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 03:40:02 PM »
      Recently Artilleryman mentioned that solid shot worked well if a flank attack could be accomplished.  REF. Quaker gun thread.  This is very true and artillery positions of all eras tried to incorporate features to stop or deflect such fire.  The military engineer assigned to plan the field battery or the batteries within a fortification used cannonball blocking features such as the Parados or the Traverse to defeat enfilading (flanking) cannon fire.  These obstacles to enemy cannon fire were constructed perpendicular to the most probable direction of the enfilading fire.  Artillery positions protected by these protective earth, sand or masonry structures are said to be placed in defilade.

In Naval parlance, this type of fire is referred to as "raking" fire.  One of the most famous examples of raking fire occurred as Nelson, the British master tactician at the Battle of Trafalgar on Oct. 21, 1805 broke through the French line of battle in his Flagship, Victory and blasted the stern of the French, 80 gun, Bucentaure with the two  huge 68 pounder, (8") Carronades on the forecastle, one with a solid shot and the other with a keg of 500 round balls.  Devastating the upper deck, this raking fire and the remainder of Victory's broadside killed over 160 French sailors and wounded almost 60!

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 11:50:37 PM »
Since now your opening a hole new list of terms you may need this. Back half of the book.

http://www.archive.org/details/manualforenginee00duanrich

Bob

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »
   Thanks Bob.  I looked this reference volume over carefully and found you are certainly correct.  Although there are other military engineering books out there.  This one deals very well with the "hands-on" creation of a large variety of items used in field fortifications, their names like "fascine" (an 18 foot long, tightly bound, bundle of sticks and tree branches used to shore up earth works) and, more importantly, how to fashion them. 

The page, out of a privately owned 17th century dictionary, is fascinating to us because it displays words for cannon features long out of fashion like "Cornish Rings", now called an"Astragal Ring with Fillets".  How about a "Touchhole", now called a "Vent" or a "Charged Cilinder" now a "Chamber" or a "Vacant Cilinder" now the "Chase". 

Tracy

From Wikipedia and in the Public Domain,
Source
The Compleat Cannoniere, by John Roberts, London 1652 (original copy, private ownership)

Author
John Roberts 1652, author of 2007 scan (and owner of original) Steven J. Plunkett

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 12:51:33 AM »
Soon we'll have a dictionary like the One-Look dictionary: http://www.onelook.com/

Try it.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 09:10:24 AM »
Would this be useful?

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 04:48:35 PM »
    Thank you Douglas.  I think that will do just fine.  I have located a field carriage drawing with everything identified, I just have to figure out how best to get it transferred. 

Also, remember after we mention the next two words that we are never timid about explaining confusing terms.  The meanings and the differences between "Implements" and "Accuterments", (also spelled "Accutrements") are clear on some items which are clearly tools or implements and really fuzzy on other items like the lowly, "Pass Box".  Our understanding of the very basic difference between these two groups of artillery related equipment is this:  Items which directly allow the artilleryman to do his work or directly assist him in doing such work, are called implements.  Examples of these are worms, sponges, rammers, tow hooks, prolongs, friction- primers, gimlets and pass boxes.  The last item assists the artillerymen in performing their duties in relative safety by shielding the powder charge from sparks and flaming bits of flannel as it is delivered to the muzzle of the gun ready for charge ramming.  If it were to be called an accouterment, it would only have the purpose of merely a transportation container, like the "tube-pouch" which is worn by the gunner on a waist belt and contains implements like thumbstalls, priming-wires, vent-punches, gunner's pincers, lanyards, friction-tubes and gimlets.  Common accuterments the artillerymen would carry while on campaign would be items such as bed rolls, canteens, hats, load bearing straps, overcoats, oilskins or suspenders to name a few. The only tool we can think of which would almost certainly would be called an accouterment is a coffee grinder.  Maybe you know of more.

Tracy

Offline dynomike1x1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2012, 02:14:56 AM »
Thats what i'm talking about. Looks like that would make a good sticky for newcomers.
There are very few probablms that can't be solved with explosives.
2/115FA