Author Topic: First cannon help  (Read 687 times)

Offline pfw4666

• Trade Count: (0)
First cannon help
« on: January 28, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
My awesome girlfriend gave me a 1/4 scale 1841 replica 6 pound cannon for Christmas.  I am in need of some help with regards to building a naval carriage.

The cannon is 16 inches long with the trunnion being 3/4 inch.  Is there a set of plans with dimensions needed for the wood?  I need help locating trunnion straps/mounts.  I also need some help in locating either steel or wooden wheels.

Thanks in advance, 

Paul
When seconds count, the Police are just minutes away

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
Re: First cannon help
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 05:17:04 PM »
I think the best carriage can be made by using the original plans, and the best source I know is in a book called A Treatise of Artillery 1780, by John Muller.  Maybe someone has a copy and can post it.  The wheels should be wood if you want a ship's gun, and metal for a garrison or fort gun.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 06:17:02 PM »
Welcome !  I would like to see pictures of your cannon . How large is the bore ?

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »
You don't need plans you only need this book.

http://www.privateermedia.com/Publishing/book1.htm

Here is the description of the book from the website.

In 2008 Pivateer Media published its first book "Building 18th Century Naval Artillery." Written for the historian and hobbiest, the book outlines modern techniques for constructing naval cannon carriages and the tools & equipment needed to operate black powder muzzle loading artillery.

We're currently offering free USPS media rate shipping on this book. Additional information about "Building 18th Century Naval Artillery" can be found here.

Every who builds model cannons should have this book

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 06:36:24 PM »
I highly recommend this book, also. For the 90 pages, it is amazingly well put together, and easy to read and follow. BTW,  :D , welcome to the Forum, you will gain much insite and enjoy your self with all the pages and pages of topics, plus these guys have a heck of a lot of info which will really help! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline pfw4666

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 06:00:31 AM »
It is a 3/4 inch bore.  I will try to post pics later on.....I have to cook ribs and help cut up hams and stuff brats

Offline pfw4666

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:55:06 AM »
Here are a couple of pics....I just got the cannon back from powder coat on Friday.  I ordered the book I will be ready to go great guns on this project soon.

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
can i ask were she got he barrel

Offline pfw4666

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »
She got it from her best friends father.  I will find out the best way to reach him and get back with the info.  When I picked it up on New Year's Eve, he said he had ten more on order.  I do not know the price or if he is willing to sell over the internet.    The pictures do not do it justice.  There is a lot more detail in the cannon than what you can see from the pictures and the powder coat finish is out of this world.

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 04:03:29 AM »
http://www.cisco-eagle.com/catalog/c-2066-cast-iron-caster-wheels.aspx

or

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0dwvb

Better yet google cast iron wheels.  Ran across these looking for something else.  For wood glue two pieces of your choice stock together with grain perpendicular clamp and let dry then use hole saw and shape with sanding.  Pretty rudimentary, but I'm sure if you look around here there are better ideas existing and already posted.
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 06:14:26 AM »
The Tractor Supply store has cast iron wheels. They have them from 2 to 6 or 8 inches in diameter. The smaller ones look best. The wheels are attached to the caster by bolts which make them easier to remove than the riveted ones.

http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search?zone=6&env=&w=cast+iron+caster+wheels&searchButton.x=32&searchButton.y=15
Max

Offline rusty barrels

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 07:00:57 AM »
I agree with DD, it's the best book I've seen on naval guns. I wish I had it on my first build.