Author Topic: I'm about to jump on the bandwagon!  (Read 663 times)

Offline evidrine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I'm about to jump on the bandwagon!
« on: January 27, 2012, 06:35:25 AM »
Ok fellas, I will be sending my 20ga off for a barrel change sometime in the near future. I am torn between the .44mag and .357mag barrels. I know that I will eventually have them both, but which one do I want now? The .44 is more appealing when I consider hunting, however the .357 just seems like it would be more fun when just playin around. What do you guys think?

also, what is a realistic time frame I can expect to get my gun back?

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: I'm about to jump on the bandwagon!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:34:09 AM »
I have both, but I like the .357Mag better.  I predict most guys here will agree with me, but they will tell you to rechamber it to .357MAX.  I'm happy with the .357Mag the way it is.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:44:30 AM »
Ok fellas, I will be sending my 20ga off for a barrel change sometime in the near future. I am torn between the .44mag and .357mag barrels. I know that I will eventually have them both, but which one do I want now? The .44 is more appealing when I considder hunting, however the .357 just seems like it would be more fun when just playin around. What do you guys think?

also, what is a realistic time frame I can expect to get my gun back?

Simply based on your post, go with the 44Mag. Its your first choice and you admit to likely getting both in the long run.

Besides, ever herd the statement, "Best for last" ::) It defineately applies here.  :o ::) ;)  ESPECAILLY when you re-chamber the Mag to MAXI!!!  Oh yea, you KNOW your gonna have to do that too!! Don't fight it, its the way it is.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 1EzShot

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »
if you reload get the .357 and rechamber to max  use .38s for plinking and max rounds for killing deer 200yrds away.  otherwise go with the .44

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »
44 mag. first then 357, your first pick was 44 and you can always shoot spls. from it. I just got my 30-30 back about 2 weeks ago, it took about 4 weeks almost to the day not bad turn around time.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 11:35:12 AM »
You will be happy with the 44.  I've used one for the last 4 years, and it is a GREAT eastern woodland deer cartridge, in my opinion.  I did recently buy a 357, and just now reamed it to max.  Since the vast majority of my shooting is at targets, and the next is back yard varmints, I figure the 357 can do that cheaper than the 44.  Maximizing it makes it deer capable, but time will tell whether I will prefer the 357 max over the 44 for deer.  I'm not selling my 44 yet. ;)
Duane

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 12:25:44 PM »
i have all 3... and for sum reason when i shoot hawgs wif tha max they always find tha bayou bog and then i gotta go swim'n :P   but when i hit'um wif a good stout loada
44mag, they kinda spin roun an fall close ;)

before sumone says sumthin bout shot placement and handloads...
i done got yall beat ;D   i put'um where they count tha best wif my known type handloads.
i ain't said nuthin bouta fouled shot or missed'um.

either way, them critters end up on tha BGE wif applecider soaked pecon wood and pinwipple slices on top.......on man yeah!!!  makes ya wanna go slap sumfin real handi 8)

wonder how long its gunna be for you want'n a 45/70 ?? thats tha real man ;)

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »

I faced the same dilemma back in Dec. Wait until you can get them together, if you order them separately it will cost you at least another $35 in shipping, not to mention down time on the gun.  If you include a credit card number on the order form they jump right to it.  I had mine back in less than 3 weeks and that was with the holidays being the middle week.  Make sure you ask on the form to take a look at the trigger.  They won't do an actual "trigger job" but they cleaned mine up a lot.  It went from about 6 lbs pull to 4 lbs, and now it's smooth. 

When you ship it out it will fit into one of the medium size postal boxes, just remove the receiver from the stock.  You will need a really long screw driver to remove the stock.  I just wrapped all the components up in several layers of newspaper and then stuffed the box so nothing moved around.

I'd never ordered a barrel before, so a few observations:

1.  Customer service is ok, but not great.  Don't expect them to contact you, they won't.  If you want to know what's going on pick up the phone.

2.  The gun will be filthy when you get it back. Not just test fired dirty but laying around in a machine shop dirty.

3.  Signature is required when they ship it back (UPS).  I couldn't get a tracking number out them, I missed the delivery and had to pick it up at the UPS hub.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 01:31:16 PM »
You'll find that if you follow the directions on the repair page, you'll get tracking info if you ask for it.

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/repair_services/tracking/repair_information.aspx

Instructions for getting an accessory barrel have changed, they're on the acc barrel web page, you must get a return authorization prior to sending a frame in for a barrel.

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

Ilion's policy on trigger adjustment is pretty straight forward, you need to ask for as light a trigger as possible which will be ~3½lbs, their current policy on trigger adjustment is free if it's over their limit of 5.5lbs, otherwise it's $20.

Tim

I recently acquired an NEF SB2 receiver for a project.  The trigger is perfect, tight and crisp and breaks cleanly and consistently at a measured 2.5#.  Really sweet :)

I had planned to send the receiver in to Ilion for a few barrels, but remembered reading something here about them re-adjusting triggers to factory spec if they have it in their hands, but couldn't find where I read that.  I PMd Quick, who told me that was SOP for Gardner but he wasn't sure what Ilion was doing.

I had an email contact for a Marlin/Remington guy that was overseeing H&R in some capacity, so I asked him, since calling CS doesn't seem to always produce the correct answer from what I've read.  I got a reply this morning from a different Remington guy, as apparently the original guy I emailed has moved on to Colt.  I asked him if it was ok to share the info, and he said yes, so-

"If the trigger pull is 3.5 to 6 lbs, we will not touch the trigger."

Guess I need to go with plan B, as this trigger is fantastic and I don't want it touched.

EDIT 10/29/2010: Ilion's current policy on trigger adjustment is free if it's over their limit of 5.5lbs, otherwise it's $20 plus shipping.

Ilion's service is exemplarary, the same can't be said for Madison customer support tho unfortunately.  :-\
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain