Author Topic: Kel--Tec PF9 Pro's & Con's  (Read 12876 times)

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
Re: Kel--Tec PF9 Pro's & Con's
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 09:31:27 PM »
I just shot my new PF-9 today.  Didn't like my FMJ reloads at all but tolerated the JHP reloads.  Recoil was snappy.  All my reloads shoot dependably in my CZ-75.

I'm optimistic, though.   It was easier to shoot well than my 2" revolver.    I'll try some factory loads next. 

Anyone have luck with reloads in the KT PF-9?  What's the recipe?
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 02:21:49 AM »
You didn't say what kind of malfunctions you're having, or type of bullet you're using. If you are using bullets in the 125gr range, try adjusting your OAL to about 1.10/1.11. My PF9 digests my standard IDPA load of the 125gr LRN from Missouri Bullet loaded to a PF of 135. I have had no malfunctions with that load or any factory I've tried. Of course this is not a range gun and will never see thousands of rounds. Once a month or so, I fire a mag through it, clean it, and carry it. Works well for it's intended purpose.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jcn59

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 07:11:33 AM »
Failure to feed with the 115 gr. FMJ.  Mostly.   The bullet nose would tip down into the magazine, missing the feed ramp completely.  OAL 1.130.

Maybe I should try seating to 1.10, huh?  I'll shorten some of my FMJ reloads today & see how they do.

The 115 gr. JHP are 1.125 OAL & worked good except for one hard to chamber which did fire once it chambered. 

I'm going to try some Win 115 FMJ today which measure 1.157. 

I'v only shot two magazines out of this pistol, so I'm still very optimistic.

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Savage

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 12:54:20 PM »
1.157 is the OAL I use for my 147gr subsonic loads in 9mm. Haven't tried those in the PF9. The shape of the bullet has a lot to do with seating depth. It could be that the Winchester loads will work fine at the 1.157 OAL. You pretty much have to take it case by case. Good luck!
Savage

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »
When I was working we had a new officer who came to us from a sate corrections agency trained on revolvers. We issued Glock 22s. The first day on the range with us was a 52!  After some remedial training and well-rewarded personal attention this agent qualified at a tough State Police Academy with mid-90 scores.  As situations evolved, this agent quickly was assigned undercover duties.  The agency U/C guns were crap-looked like "cop guns".  We suggested the Kel-Tec 9mm (with the  inner tube grip-now on the Kel-Tec website w/ a diagram!)  5 years later, this once problem shooter agent qualifies 3 times a year w/ both duty and U/C guns in the 90s.  Various loads are used (Stated Purchase orders- WW/ Federal/Speer/Zero) Carry loads are selected for performance and to not reflect a LE style load.  100% to date under duty use conditions.

Offline jcn59

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 09:23:04 PM »
The factory FMJ worked flawlessly so I loaded up a batch of lead to 1.160 OAL.

My 115 gr JHP loads worked perfectly today also, but my 1.110 FMJ short reloads wouldn't feed at all.  Not even one.

The pistol may be more accurate than me, but the recoil is really sharp.  I'v shot .44 mags for years with no problems but this little pipsqueak really hurts my wrist. 

I suppose that means something is wrong with my wrist now.

NRA Life Member

Offline Savage

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 03:10:38 AM »
jnc59,

Glad you were able to get your problems worked out. Just goes to show that each gun is unique. The problem with the 125 Missouri bullet @1.16 was the bullet hitting the rifling as the gun went into battery. That condition upped the pressures a bit, and as you have learned, the PF9 spanks your hand a bit at normal pressures. The same bullet, at the same OAL would jam into the rifling deep enough to pull the bullet if the round was manually ejected in my CZ ESP gun. That is of course, a bullet profile problem that was solved by going to the 1.11 OAL I mentioned in my initial post. Apparently the CZ has a shorter leade than my Glocks who ran that bullet at the longer OAL without problems. I use the load in multiple pistols, so I load to a length that will run reliably in them all. My PF9 runs them without problems. As I mentioned in my previous post, my PF9 has had no malfunctions to date. Sounds like you've solved your problem as well. One thing I should have mentioned: A small change in bullet seating depth can make a big difference in pressures. If you are loading anywhere near max loads, be sure to reduce the charge a bit and check for pressure signs, especially when increasing seating depth. Good shooting!
Savage

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 08:21:35 AM »
I have one in my front pocket right now.   I have owned, shot and carried it for about a year.

Pro's:
- one of the few 9mm pistols that can be pocket carried in terms of both size and weight.
-  very good for ultra concealed concealed carry.
- light weight
- small size
- inexpensive
- Great websupport for small problems and reputed good factory service (although a bit slow now)
- strong {F-9 DAO trigger allows one to carry with one in the chamber as one would a DA revolver
- It has a hold open slide on last round feature
- it has a concealed hammer and is not a striker fired handgun design

Con's:
- this is an extreme design (light weight & small) and you have to change your shooting style to use it (no limp wristing, no short stroking of the trigger, need to push magazine release button on installing & removing a magazine, you need to clean it very regularly, you need to both oil and grease this gun, you need to make sure that the combination extractor/firning pin screw is tight and use locktite when you clean it).
- unless you are use to shooting a DAO revolver, the trigger will take some getting use to.
- while the sights are good, the sight radius (i.e. barrel length) makes accuracy difficult (THIS IS NOT A RANGE GUN).
- recoil is something you need to get use to and probably means not shooiting it a lot at the range per outing.
- out of the box, you need to sand some rough edges and do a little prep on the grip (the fluff & buff may no longer be required, but is not a bad idea anyway)
- some PF-9's are quite picky on ammo and primers for reliable operation.
- It has no safety, so you need to treat it much like you would a DAO revolver
- magazine followers tend to wear if you shoot them a lot
- If you want a range gun to target shoot with, buy something besides a PF-9

Would I recommend it to my sons if they wanted a pocket carry firearm of 9mm?  Yes.  Would I buy one for my wife without a promise to help her learn how to use it?  No. 

It is a great firearm, but was designed for a specific market:  low price point, 9mm, deep concealed carry and/or pocket carry self defence (last resort) handgun.  I looked at a lot of subcompact 9mm handguns and there were only about 3 that I felt would work for pocket carry (Kahr PM-9, Rohrbaugh R9 and the Keltec PF-9) (Some feel that the Keltec P-11 or SCCY CPX-1 can also be pocket carried-I didn't).  Of the three that I felt would work for pocket carry, the PF-9 was much less expensive than the others, by a lot and I liked some of its features better.

The Kahr is thicker, heavier, a striker fired design, and is about twice as expensive for the PM-9.  The Rohrbaugh is about the same width, weights about the same, is slightly smaller in size, but about three to four times as expensive, with little in the way of internet forum support compared to the KelTec PF-9.

When weight and thickness don't really matter, I have an AMT-45 Backup that can be done with pocket carry, but my pants tend to want to slip down alot from the extra weight of the handgun in the pocket. 

Offline jcn59

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2010, 07:16:58 AM »
I still have not found a dependable reload.   Can anyone who has one of these PF9s recommend a factory JHP load that works all the time?  I don't recall ever owning a revolver that didn't work every time.  I'm beginning to think I should stick to my S&W Airweight .38.

I can see that I won't be shooting this gun "for fun".   My right wrist still is not back to normal so I shoot it left-handed.  Don't know what I did to it, but it gets worse when I shoot the PF9.

On the plus side, if you don't chamber a round, most kids under 10 won't be strong enough to actually pull the slide back and chamber one.    I don't have any kids hanging around me so not an issue.

NRA Life Member

Offline Savage

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2010, 11:05:28 AM »
My experiences with the PF9 have been just the opposite from that of the jnc59. I have yet to find a round that doesn't function. Of course I've only tried four different loadings. Blazer Brass, 125gr LRN reloads, 147 gr LFN reloads, and Federal Personal Defense HP. It might be a good idea to send the gun back to the factory if it doesn't function with factory ammo!
Savage

Offline jcn59

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2010, 11:15:17 AM »
It DID function with factory FMJ ammo.  I was looking for a recommendation for factory JHP ammo....that works.

This is one of the more current guns, so I believe it will be servicable as is.   All my other 9mms worked 100% with my hand loads, but they were full size guns, like the CZ 75, & Inglis Hi Power.  I was surprised when this one was "picky".   Anyways, this isn't fun to shoot, so when I get a good JHP load, I'll shoot it occasionally, but mostly I'll stick with my revolvers.   I live in an open carry state anyways, but when I travel, that Kel-Tec sure fits nicely in my pocket.

Can you tell me what 125 gr. LRN load worked well, and the C.O.L.?   I tried some 1.160 col & it wouldn't feed with the 125 lrn.

NRA Life Member

Offline Savage

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2010, 11:49:16 AM »
The 125gr LRN was from Missouri Bullet, loaded to 1.105 COL. The Federal Hollow Points I have tried were the same COL. Just found that out---------------. They are the Federal "Personal Defense", or "Personal Protection".  One or the other, not sure--------I no longer have the boxes. The 147 gr LFP bullets were from MB as well, loaded to a COL of 1.16. All run great. If all else fails, look at the "Expanding Full Metal Jacket" ammo. It should work as well as ball. Good luck!
Savage

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 05:07:26 AM »
How does the PF9 feel in a the pocket?  I've got an xd sub 9mm and it's a good reliable gun, but it's just to big & bulky to be carried.  The 13rd mags are nice, but right now they're at home in the safe and I think a smaller cap that actually on me is the better route.  I'd like to find a 9mm that just slips into a pocket. 

Offline jcn59

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 07:47:50 AM »
My PF-9 goes in my pocket feeling about like my wallet.  There is no reason to leave it at home except for legal issues.

NRA Life Member

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2010, 08:33:59 AM »
The legal issues are why I have to leave it at home.  With my job I may need to travel.  Some customers don't allow guns in the parking lot, some customers like schools, or whatever where they're not allowed period and I may have to cross state lines.  I never know what's going to happen or where I'm going to go when I show up for work.  That's why I don't keep a gun in the car, and I work in a small office where I don't need one on me either.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2010, 05:55:38 AM »
Well, just a little feed back.  I have owned my PF9 for several months now and carry it daily.  It also wears a Chrimson Trace.  It took a bit to get that sighted where I was satisfied with it, but I like it very much.  It is comfidence inspiring with the CT on it.  Double taps with that long pull trigger?  Forget it!  But you can shoot quickly and I try to keep up by ocassionaly shooting the Kel Tec in a bowling pin match.  I get no score because of the CT, but the practice is good.  You put a lot of pressure on yourself at a match like that and while that is nothing like the pressure when you have to pull your gun in earnest, it does make you balance between trying to go too fast and hitting your target which is the whole issue in the first place.  Thumbs up on the little Kel Tec!  Now if they would just improve the trigger pull on the P-11, I'd like one of those for a 'truck gun'.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Texbguy

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 09:11:18 AM »
Yes, I hate that.. school issue.. I am a HS teacher.. concealed weapons holder, but not trusted to have my pistol in my truck in the parking lot. I wonder what kind of lawsuit my heirs would have if i got corjacked on the way home from my job?

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2012, 05:54:08 PM »
Robert357, I realize that this thread is a bit long of tooth but since I have just bought but not yet picked up a PF-9 and also have a AMT 45 Backup I was wondering how you would compare the trigger?

I am able to keep 5 rounds on a playing card at 21 feet with the AMT, which as you know has about a 12 lb. trigger. Is the Kel-Tecs better?

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline AMBUSHER

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »
Robert357, I realize that this thread is a bit long of tooth but since I have just bought but not yet picked up a PF-9 and also have a AMT 45 Backup I was wondering how you would compare the trigger?

I am able to keep 5 rounds on a playing card at 21 feet with the AMT, which as you know has about a 12 lb. trigger. Is the Kel-Tecs better?

Pete
I'm not Robert but ,I will tell you having owned both, if you can hit a card table at 21' with the AMT you will feel like Doug Keonig with the PF9! I gave mine a VERY thorough going over when I got it. I took it completely apart and polished all contact surfaces of the trigger and slide. I put JB Bore compound in the slide rails and worked it back and forth probably 100 or so cycles then cleaned it up and lubricated it. I have had 0 feed and fire issues. Trigger is long travel but clean breaking and smooth.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »
I've had my PF-9 for 3 years without a single issue. It's my daily carry backed up with a P-32. I never leave home without them. The PF-9 has all the things needed in a conceal carry firearm. It's reliable, decent caliber, light and very easy to conceal all at a very reasonable price. Yes the recoil is a bit much for some but I've shot way worse and personaly don't concider it bad at all. Besides, if you should need it I doubt recoil will be an issue. You'll just be glad you have a firearm that was easy enough to carry that you actualy did! Beats the heck out of that Glock sitting at home! ;)

Offline ratdog

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »
the keltec pf9 needs a bigger mag catch the size of a pll then i might buy another one might. ;D

Offline ratdog

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2012, 09:48:36 PM »
i really liked the pf 9 but the mag kept falling out got a new catch from keltec put it in same problem both magazines .sold  pf9 keeping my p11 eats any thing i put in it .better than my ruger p95 i got rid of to. ???

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2012, 06:15:44 AM »
i really liked the pf 9 but the mag kept falling out got a new catch from keltec put it in same problem both magazines .sold  pf9 keeping my p11 eats any thing i put in it .better than my ruger p95 i got rid of to. ???

I have never had that problem.  Perhaps you should have send the whole gun back to Kel-Tec?

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2012, 05:40:10 AM »
Went to the range again yesterday. I've been shooting HPs, LRNs, and JRNs and have yet to have a single FTF or FTL on my PF9. It has simple eaten everything I've fed it. Recoil is snappy, but I really don't consider it bad at all. I had a 44 mag in the past that kicked a LOT worse than this does. On top of that, it is a fairly accurate gun, especially considering my shooting skill, and the size of the gun.

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »
CON - if you shoot a marijuana induced black youth who is smashing your head on the concrete after he has cold cocked you,  expect to be in the same predicament as George Zimmerman.     
His piece was revealed today to be a PF-9.     Expect a civil lawsuit by the Martin family against KelTec.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline jcn59

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2012, 04:35:53 PM »
This should resonate with ALL of us to be prudent about who we elect for D.A. and judge.
I don't think it would happen where I live.  A year and a half ago two minority males ages 17 & 18 broke into a tavern and were shot by the owner.  No fatalities.  No charges against the bar owner.  I believe the criminals were charged and convicted.

NRA Life Member

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2012, 05:39:23 AM »
I have had my PF9 for about a year now, and love it.  I did take some sandpaper to the rough edges on the grip when I first bought it, and that helped a lot in the comfort department.  I have been looking for the Pachmayr #4 grip, but none of my LGS's carry that size for some reason.  When I carry it, I usually use a Blackhawk! nylon IWB, and I forget I even have it on me.  I also like it because it will fit in the pocket of my overalls when I am out on the farm working.  I put a hundred rounds of WWB through it yesterday at the range, and while it is a bit snappy, I no longer find it unpleasant to shoot.  I have had one FTE in nearly a thousand rounds, and I am convinced it was ammo related (same day I had two FTE using the same ammo in my Ruger P95, which never happens).  I highly recommend the KT!
If you can't find the Pachmayr sleeve then get you a Hogue Handall Jr. I love mine and have heard it fits better than The Pachmayr which tends to slip when shooting much.

Mine with the Handall Jr.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2019, 05:19:43 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!