Author Topic: M1-A  (Read 390 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
M1-A
« on: January 26, 2012, 03:54:20 AM »
 I read a list of dates ( page and a half or more )that was when certian changes were made to the M1-A rifle at Springfield. Seems several different firms made recivers , Parts started out USGI surplus that came back from Korea . It listed what was the high ser # for one thing and low ser # for another. When Socoms were developed etc. It seems some parts today come from Korea new manf. It seems that some think that parts come from China but that was not listed . I have an older one with TRW parts and a bbl marked NM . The rear sight is also NM but it was not sold as a NM rifle so I assume they were the parts on hand. A newer one I shot did not have the same markings it shot well though. Is the difference in parts a big concern as some seem to think ? I still see USGI and TRW parts at shows . Is the up grade nessary for new rifles ? If so what parts should or need to be replaced ? Also what parts should a repair kit contain ?

And last can the muzzle brake on a Socom be removed and replaced with a standard flash hider ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: M1-A
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:44:34 AM »
Shootall, I was thinking of buying a new Springfield M1A from a nearby sporting goods store.  He has them in the $1,300 range.  Do you think they would be a good bargan if some parts are made overseas, as long as they are to spec.  My Springfield XDM was made in the Chec Republic I think.  I do have an L1A1 FAL with lots of spare mags I got when they were cheap.  I also have a complete spring set and replacement bold and firing pin, and a replacement gas piston.  I though that might be enough, except now they are dried up like all other milsurp rifles.  I also have an AR-15 with plenty of mags.  Don't know if I really need the M1A, but they sure look and feel good. 

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:33:19 AM »
I'm going to be honest If parts are in spec and the spec is a good one for job at hand I don't see a big problem. I like Ruger M-77's they have Cast recivers as does Springfield. From What I have read Springfield has always had Cast recivers , some were of good quality some not so good. If org GI parts were so good why so many spare parts floating around ? Much of the AR parts on the market are cast and some forged  ???  .
I also have an AR and its ok. If I had to choose between the AR and the M1-A I would go M1-A
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:10:13 AM »
I personally think a lot of people put to much stock in "original mil spec" parts.  Just because a particular part was not made by an original military contractor during the active production of the weapon does not mean it is not a quality part.  Metallurgy, machining techniques, heat treating, etc. are always improving, and any modern made part of quality manufacture should serve just as well as any original mil spec part. 
My recent production M1-A shown below has about 1200 rounds thru it, everything from dirty 3rd world NATO stuff to carefully crafted handloads, and it has proven 100% reliable, (not counting bad magazines)  grouping right at 1 inch with loads it likes.  A note about magazines, if you decide to get one- Stay away from the cheap metal and plastic magazines you see - I have tried quite a few, and they always seem to fail in one way or another.  Stick with the mags made by Check Mate Industries, they are an official military contractor, and are the manufacturer of the magazines Springfield sells with its M1-A's.  Difference is you can buy them directly from Check Mate for about half the price Springfield charges.

Not sure about the Socom muzzle brakes, but I would assume so provided they are not welded on.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....