Author Topic: Not many fans of the 444 Marlin Handi here  (Read 2982 times)

Offline northkid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Not many fans of the 444 Marlin Handi here
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 08:00:48 AM »
How can you tell if it is a .444 Marlin 1 in 38" OR a .444 Marlin 1:20" twist?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 08:10:49 AM »
Original 1:38" models were all ejectors, 2007 and later are extractors and will be 1:20", see the twist chart in the FAQs, instructions on checking twist are there also.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gaileyr

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 05:16:08 AM »
I have a nice H&R 444 but I can't hunt with it anymore...... It attracts bulldozers.

Early on the morning of
Jan 19, 2012 I went deer hunting on U.S.Army Corps of Engineer's land. With the large number of people hunting on Corps land, I didn't really expect to even see or shoot a deer. So I didn't bring my 4-wheeler. But at 7:30AM I saw and made a bang-flop shot on nice fat Doe at 25yds. Made a fast 45 min round trip home to pick up the 4-wheeler. When I got back to the spot I noticed that a bulldozer for some reason had been pushing thru the area, and the deer was no where to be found. Started making 50 yard circles looking for it. Finally found it nearly buried under a mound of loose dirt a few yards from where I shot it.  Now... a wise old hunter should be prepared for any unexpected event. Compass, first-aid kit, spare water bottle ,etc,etc. But really.... a bulldozer burying your deer. Who comes prepared for that !!!

Next hunting season I plan on taking my 45-70 Marlin GS. That way I'll be ready for deer or bulldozers. Oh by the way...I know to put the bullet in the heart-lung area on a deer. But where the best place to put it to bring down a charging bulldozer? What grain bullet should I be using? And does anyone know of a REALLY good taxidermist.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 05:30:14 AM »
You might want to use AP ammo if you are going to start hunting bulldozers. ;D   I can't believe Corps would allow rifle hunting and earthwork/logging to occur at the same time and place. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gaileyr

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 06:05:26 AM »
That struck me as strange also. When I first walked into woods that morning there wasn't a bulldozer in sight. Yet within the 45min it took me to make the trip home and back they had cut a road thru the area. Didn't know the Gov. could work that fast.

Offline northkid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 06:23:16 AM »
Original 1:38" models were all ejectors, 2007 and later are extractors and will be 1:20", see the twist chart in the FAQs, instructions on checking twist are there also.

Tim
Thanks Tim. I looked on the page an got the 1:38" and the 1:20" there just looked over the way to find which is which.

Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 09:40:12 AM »
What grain bullet should I be using?

Have Belt Mountain make ya some out of depleted uranium!  ;D

Tim

http://www.beltmountain.com/punch.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 04:36:59 PM »
Fuel pump if it's CHARGING ;D

They better start painting them Blaze Orange if working during season.
Lucky it didn't run over the deer or completely cover it up.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »
If this thing can't hit a bulldozer I'm gettin rid of it ;D

Loaded 8 with IMR 4198 and 200 gr XTPs. First one was way high with red X Adjusted down many clicks, second was little right of the bull with red X. I clicked 4 left and got the 3 at 10 o'clock :-* not too bad.
Clicked 2 right and got that lousy strung out group. Don't know why it went so far back to the right. I was starting to hurry as the sun was getting low in front of me. (and my shoulder was beginning to feel weird ::) ) Got a low vel. of 2245 & high of 2340. Weighed each charge and bullets were within a couple of tenths of a grain. This was at 100 yds. Will try to dial the scope to take out that center ring next time. Shooting in tee shirt around here in Feb is unusual 8) 

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 01:42:08 PM »
Shoot, I don't know if I'm a fan or not!   :-\  Never shot mine...  :-[ But rejoice dear friends!  It's on my list to hunt with next year!   :D  I have high hopes for the cartridge as, like I always say, cartridges are like wimmins, they all pretty in they own way and, given a chance, they all good for what they made for!  :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline LedLobber

• Maker of Smokeless Smoke.
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
Hey all. New guy Here. I am picking up my New .444 Marlin Handi Rifle HOPEFULLY tomorrow or 1st thing next week. Just waiting for it to show up!
Bought the .444 to COMPLIMENT my .45-70 Handi Rifle. I have ALWAYS been intrigued by the .444 Marlin round as I have been a Handgun Hunter for years, with the .44 Mag being my Bread and Butter. REALLY looking forward to loading and shooting the .444 with max loads of Reloader 7 and some Beartooth 290-330gr Boolits! Happiness smells like Gun Powder..... :)
I like BIG Boolits.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 01:37:06 AM »
Welcome LedLobber, I like your name. Did you get the one I've seen with the nickel receiver and camo stocks? G.M. had one here.

AtlLaw, I like you thoughts on cartridges AND wimmins ;D

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 01:40:17 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the .45-70 but my .444s have been very flat shooting and very accurate.  I really like the .444.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 08:13:11 AM »
I've got a barrel ready to mount and a couple 6 or 8 different loads waiting for me to find time to hit the range.
Weather has been great here, other than an occasional low down in the 40's.  :o
If I could just find the time.  :-[ 
Right now my grandson is wrapping up wrestling season and that plus the honeydo list is ruining my play time.
Should have never moved to this new house.  :(
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline LedLobber

• Maker of Smokeless Smoke.
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2012, 02:36:33 PM »
Welcome LedLobber, I like your name. Did you get the one I've seen with the nickel receiver and camo stocks? G.M. had one here.

Well thank you. :) No, I didn't get the Nickel with Camo. I got just a Plain Ol' Synthetic Model (SB2-44S, I believe). I was Surprised to see the New Styling of the Synthetic Stocks that are on it. Or, New compared to my other Handi's anyway. Last Synthetic I bought was my .45-70 and that was probably around 1999. Lol.
I like BIG Boolits.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »
About 20yrs. ago I had a Marlin 444, and a S&W 624 x 4"; thought the same thing about 'consolidating projectiles', etc., but it didnt really pan out that way for me. If I loaded the 444 down to about 44M equiv. loads it was OK, but if I made factory equiv. loads, or upped it to 265s it was an abusive rifle, even with a recoil pad. OK, it has a trajectory advantage over the 45-70, but with a heavier 'brick' out of the old service round, even at slower velo and more loopy traj. it just does the job and I dont feel beat up. To get that kind of energy out of the 444 it wasnt pleasant. I sold it, a glorified 44M fit a hypothetical hole in caliber spread that I didnt really need to fill.
Of coarse, if I had a 444 and no 45-70 now I maybe wouldnt feel the need to switch everything out, but having the 45-70 I wont go back.
As a wise man once said,"dance with who ya brung".
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2012, 01:50:50 AM »
I have a BC 45/70 and am looking to aget a Handi 45/70 with the 22 inch barrel and open sights as well. That been said, if they come out with a .444 Handi with the 22 inch barrel and Open Sights, I`m in for an accessory barrel or the whole rifle. I don`t use scopen, so the open sights are the only way I will buy one. Oh, and only with a wood stock and blued barrel.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
I have the older .44 mag with the slight overbore.  Didn't know it was an overbore but knew it didn't group that well (6" at 100 was norm).  However it's killed a few deer.  My friend borrowed it during the last Primitive hunt in Louisiana during the 2010-2011 season and killed a little buck at his (eyeballed) 150 yds.  Thats about 75 yds actual you know.  Well he wanted one for himself and asked me what to get and I told him to go ahead and get a 45-70 for our primitive season (must be .38 +).  Well after checking he settled, against my wishes, on the .444 and asked me to go with him to sight his scope in.

Long story short, the little rifle amazed me.  Clover leaves at 25 yds and averaged 2 or under at 100.  Had the longer forearm and sling swivil so it didn't turn over when carried over only one shoulder.  I loved it.  Found it was the newer one with the 20" twist not the 38" one and now I want one.  He had bought the Remington 165 grain.  When the 1st week of primitive ended during the 2011-2012 season he never put it down.  Left his '06 at home and hunted with it during the whole season.  Killed 6 deer with it this year.  i hunted with him twice during the season and finally asked him how many cartridges he carried with him. "One in the rifle and one in my  pocket" he replied.  Now that's confidence in your rifle.

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »
Jpshaw: old son, that's not just confidence----that's Marksmanship!!!!! :) God Bless to all.

Goofy.