Author Topic: AR15 Windage adjustment trouble  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
AR15 Windage adjustment trouble
« on: December 23, 2011, 10:36:58 AM »
I recently put together a 223 upper - standard M4 barrel, flat top upper reciever.  I installed a nice set of Burris Extreme Tactical xhigh rings and a Burris 2.5-10x scope.  The gun seems to be shooting nice groups, but nearly 1 foot to the right.  Problem is that I don't have any more left adjustment in my scope.....
Any suggestions?

Offline ironglowjr

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Re: AR15 Windage adjustment trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 12:58:07 AM »
I had this problem at my last shop all the time. If you know for SURE that it is not the scope then take off your barrel and re-toque it.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »
  Hey Tiger...  What's it like being a civilian gunsmith ? ............... Gramps
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dezynco

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 11:26:59 PM »
I though of that. Took the barrel off and retightened it.  My scope is part of the problem, it does not have enough windage to compensate for the extreme "right handedness" of this carbine.  I'm planning to take the barrel off one more time and an try again, but I may have to change scopes also.

Offline ironglowjr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 02:46:28 PM »
what combo due you have ?? Rifle and Scope Combo models? And i will look into it and get back asap....

Gramps!!!! As for the New gunsmith Job I love It...........Get to play with everything from Sniper Rifles to Miniguns

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »
Another thing to try is to remove your rings from the scope and try rotating them 180 degrees. Remount and shoot for effect. If that does not work, invest in a set of the correct height Millet Angle Loc rings or another brand that has windage adjustment built into the rings. Bore sight first with the scope adjustment centered and use the ring windage to rough in the initial sighting in. Good luck....<><.... :) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
theres a notch in your barrel that fits into the reciver. Ive had to open it up slightly on a couple ars to turn the barrel a bit to get windage centered.
blue lives matter

Offline Dezynco

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
I took the barrel off and retorqued it, even changed it to a free-float forearm.  I took the scope off and swapped the rings from front to back, but did not flip them 180 degrees (might give that a try next).  I mounted a different flash hider also, went with one of the 3-prong original style ones like the old M16's had.  Havn't shot for accuracy with that yet to see if that made any difference.
I mounted my Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 on there and was able to zero the rifle, but I still need a lot of left adjustment to get it right.  I also tried a new Redfield 3x9x50 on there, but it too did not have enough windage.  The Nikon has more windage adjustment than my Burris Fullfield, but I really wanted that big Burris on there!
I took the scope off and mounted a flip up front sight and a "suitcase handle".  The rifle still shoots to the extreme right, but I can get the windage adjusted to zero if I move the rear sight WAY over to the left.  I even shot a nice 2" group with open sights at 100 yards with the open sights, just nearly a foot to the right!
As I said, the little carbine seems to shoot nice groups, but it seems to be right-handed!  I may pop for a big Nikon since the Nikon's seem to have more windage adjustment.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:46:44 PM »
i didnt read your post very well. My advice will work with irons but not with a scope. I think id consider sending the upper back to the place you bought it as something is probably kittywampus.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 03:03:55 AM »
Did you align rings with a piece of 1" round stock ?  Really, you should probably be sending the upper back to the dealer or mfgr.
   Beyond that, as MSP said, Millet rings can cover a lot of corrective latitude..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 03:12:35 AM »
check to see if face of upper reciver where bbl. mates is square with bbl and rail or if bbl. opening is not stright or centered. Also check rail to see if it is machined correctly .
Does/did gas tube fit with out bending to mate with carrier ? that might indicate something not lined up correctly if it needed bending.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dezynco

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »
I decided to check back in with you all about my little carbine. It still shoots right-handed out of the gate. I went ahead and put my Nikon Prostaff back on there and zero'd it in. Takes a good deal of left windage to get it to center, but she's shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards!  I've had no cycling issues thus far. It was mentioned that if I had to bend the gas tube to get it in place that the receiver might be warped or something. Hard to say since the gas tube must be reshaped to fit the free-float handguard. I guess since it's shooting good I just won't worry about it any more!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 01:05:21 AM »
   Has the lower worked with other uppers ?  If so, what brand is the upper you,ve had to "jimmy" to make work ?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »
You should not have to do anything to the gas tube to fit a free float handguard that is any different from the fit of a standard GI issue (or similar handguard). If you had to bend your gas tube to fit the free float handguard something is amiss. That said, if it's shooting accurately and reliably now, shoot it and enjoy it....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 05:28:34 AM »
You should not have to do anything to the gas tube to fit a free float handguard that is any different from the fit of a standard GI issue (or similar handguard). If you had to bend your gas tube to fit the free float handguard something is amiss. That said, if it's shooting accurately and reliably now, shoot it and enjoy it....<><.... :)

I thought the same thing, Wonder if the gas block is one that is held in place with pins or screws ? It could be off with either but with screws it would be easier to get a bit off.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dezynco

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 11:52:16 PM »
You should not have to do anything to the gas tube to fit a free float handguard
that is any different from the fit of a standard GI issue (or similar
handguard). If you had to bend your gas tube to fit the free float handguard
something is amiss. That said, if it's shooting accurately and reliably now,
shoot it and enjoy it....<><.... :)
Yes, according to the instructions included with my Hogue free float tube, the gas tube must be slightly reshaped to properly fit into the reciever.  This gas tube and forearm worked on another upper, but I was not using it anymore, so I installed it on my new .223 upper.  The gas block is a clamp-on type block made of steel with a picatiny rail on top to mount a sight.
Like I said, I may just shoot it and not worry about the "right-handedness" of the set up.