Author Topic: Ammo Holders Stock Mounted  (Read 632 times)

Offline casper_zip

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Contributor
Ammo Holders Stock Mounted
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:58:16 AM »
Howdy:

Bought a couple of ammo holders (shotshells), and they will not hold tite on the stock, so, essentially, they are worthless. Where can I get a couple that I can rely on and trust to hold extra ammo. ?

As always, thanks and all the best,

casper_zip

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Ammo Holders Stock Mounted
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:17:23 AM »
I've tried them and they didn't work for me either.  Kept sliding forward and now that I have a straight stock that would be even worse.  I've seen pics of some that strap around the butt almost like a slip on recoil pad.  Those would probably work.  Right now I just hunt with a pocket full of six's.

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:44:43 AM »
Here's a thread from the rifle forum on leather ones, nice looking...http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,252479.0.html

If I'm doing alot of shooting, patterning or target work, mine come off. For standby mode or casual walking/plinking it's nice to have a selection of different loads in the ammo cuff.YMMV

Scott B.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:02:14 AM »
The ones I have used for a long time are probably uncle mikes brand. Just the stretchy black material with loops. If they go on a stock they don't like I just pinch a side and sew up the slack.
Molon labe

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:09:18 PM »
I use the Allen's.  They fit snug, shotgun and rifle, and don't move.  I pull the sling stud, put on the sleeve and then reinstall the stud.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:11:32 PM »
I've used a hot nail to burn a hole in the bottom of the sleeve, then slip the sling stud through this.  With the sling swivel back on it holds fine. 

HOWEVER.... I've had rifle ammo disappear out of one when I had it slung off my pack on a bike ride in to the hunting area.  I had to ride back 2 miles, picking up cartridges as I found them.  Got my exercise that day!  Tim had the number for one from Uncle Mikes which has a flap to cover the ammo for rifles, don't know about one for shotgun shells.

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline NYRebel13

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »
I've used a hot nail to burn a hole in the bottom of the sleeve, then slip the sling stud through this.  With the sling swivel back on it holds fine.

This is basically what I did with mine on my rifle.  Worked good.
My biggest fear in life is dying and my wife selling my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
I do the same thing but I use an empty 22 mag shell and get it red hot cuts a nice clean hole

308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »
Check out the parallel post in the rifle forum on leather shell holders.  I am getting the ruge to make my own....

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone